The Official 'Yabusele: the new round mound of rebound' Week 6 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of questions for the Pelican guys...

1) How come Clark isn't in the rotation?
2) Why is Cousins taking as many 3s per game as Klay Thompson?

1) Because he has been poor.

Jameer Nelson, Tony Allen and Darius Miller have all been outperforming him among the bench crew. E'Twaun Moore is a better defender.

2) Because we need him to.

The only way twin towers works is with proper spacing. That means plenty of high post action and pick and pop, as well as simply drawing a defender away.

Our starting group is Rondo, Holiday, Moore/Cunningham, Davis & Boogie. Out of that group I'd rather have the bigs and perhaps Moore shooting the three as opposed to Rondo, Holiday and Cunningham.

Okay, 20 games in now. No longer "hot takes" they are "warm takes" now...

1) Harden is miles ahead in the MVP. It will be interesting how it plays out now CP3 is back and he won't be needed to do as much. Could be another case of (like last season) Harden being favorite for MVP for most of the year only to be overtaken at the end of the year. LeBron could do it now the Cavs are back on track. The Houston melts on the board would be fun.

2) I find it weird to say this after what Stevens has done in Boston after they lost Haywood in the first game, but I have Pop for Coach of the Year. They're 12-7 despite KL being out all year. Amazing.

3) OKC is such a weird story. Struggling, while the "lack of help" OKC fans complained about last season doing just fine in other uniforms. Meanwhile his "new help" struggle. Also both the Knicks and Indy look better this year without their stars. Still comfortable that they will get it on track and comfortably make the playoffs.

4) Philly looks good. 11-7 despite a really tough schedule. Only injury will stop them from finishing at worst the 5th seed in the East.

1) Because he has been poor.

Jameer Nelson, Tony Allen and Darius Miller have all been outperforming him among the bench crew. E'Twaun Moore is a better defender.

2) Because we need him to.

The only way twin towers works is with proper spacing. That means plenty of high post action and pick and pop, as well as simply drawing a defender away.

Our starting group is Rondo, Holiday, Moore/Cunningham, Davis & Boogie. Out of that group I'd rather have the bigs and perhaps Moore shooting the three as opposed to Rondo, Holiday and Cunningham.

1) That's disappointing. I thought he was super solid as a backup in Golden State
2) But over 7 three pointers per game? That's a crazy number for anyone that shoots so poorly.

The clippers beat the kings by the skin of there teeth

It's such a great franchise

1) That's disappointing. I thought he was super solid as a backup in Golden State
2) But over 7 three pointers per game? That's a crazy number for anyone that shoots so poorly.

Clark is basically a one-way player, so shooting 35% as he is at the moment renders him basically unplayable. I have no doubt he'll shoot better when properly integrated, but with Rondo healthy minutes are going to be scarce for a while.

Re. Boogie, he's not actually a bad three point shooter. Last three years he's taken 710 thees and hits at just under 35%, which is perfectly acceptable.

Trevor Ariza shoots seven threes a game at basically the same clip, ditto Eric Gordon in Houston although he shoots even more.

33%, or making one in three is basically the threshold. If you make 35%, that's 21 points in 20 possessions, or 105 points per 100 possessions, which would qualify you as a middle-of-the-road offensive team.

Re. Boogie, he's not actually a bad three point shooter. Last three years he's taken 710 thees and hits at just under 35%, which is perfectly acceptable.

Trevor Ariza shoots seven threes a game at basically the same clip, ditto Eric Gordon in Houston although he shoots even more.

33%, or making one in three is basically the threshold. If you make 35%, that's 21 points in 20 possessions, or 105 points per 100 possessions, which would qualify you as a middle-of-the-road offensive team.

To be fair on Gordon, he's a 40% guy for the last 3 years, so I can see why 7s per game is fine (even if his numbers are a little down this year). And obviously Houston have a style of play that promotes 3 point shooting.

Also Cousins is a mile better doing other offensive things than those two guys.

Clark is useless unless he's shooting 40%+ on 3s.

Boogie's one of the better 3 shooters on the team, which says something about the rest of them. Holiday in particular has been rubbish (25% rubbish) from behind the line

To be fair on Gordon, he's a 40% guy for the last 3 years, so I can see why 7s per game is fine (even if his numbers are a little down this year). And obviously Houston have a style of play that promotes 3 point shooting.

Also Cousins is a mile better doing other offensive things than those two guys.

Gordon was 37% last year and is 33% this year, so as far as his Houston career goes he's 'technically' an average three point shooter. Of course in reality he's better than 'average', because of the high volume he shoots and the deterrence he provides to the defence.

Let's take Houston as a whole, because they are the three point shooting team par excellence.

Their three point rate is .530, which means they take more threes than twos. Even though they take so many threes, they're hitting at 35.9% as a team, which ranks them 17th for accuracy, so middle of the road.

However their offence is the 2nd best in the league, and the three point shooting is fundamental to this because it opens up the lanes. Houston shoot a scarcely believable 57% inside the arc, and it's no accident - the reason the likes of Harden and Capela are able to be so efficient in the paint is because the defence is forced to stay up on shooters.

Now as regards New Orleans, we shoot 34% on threes as a team, which is bottom five. We are a poor outside shooting team, which is no surprise if you look at our roster.

However like Houston we shoot threes at a higher rate than our accuracy rate would nominally decree we should - a rate of .34, or dead on average. Despite our relatively poor outside shooting, we're still ranked 12th in the league for offensive efficiency, or upper middle class.

The theory is the same as in Houston (and much of the league for that matter), in that you've got to be prepared to take threes in order to open up the paint. For a team who funnels virtually everything through two big guys, this is vitally important.

Cousins spending time at the elbow, high post or behind the three point line gives Davis opportunities to work freely in the paint and opens up lanes for our guards to drive. This is the context within which his shooting rates should be judged, and as I said he's been shooting them at a competent level on sizable volume for long enough that we're comfortable with him shooting them. It's only a problem if he stops taking the ball to the basket, which hasn't happened.

If you were to take someone like Bojan Bogdanovic then the thresholds are different because he does little else and is a defensive liability. Him shooting at 35% from three wouldn't cut it, he needs to be closer to 40% to justify playing time.

Gordon was 37% last year and is 33% this year, so as far as his Houston career goes he's 'technically' an average three point shooter. Of course in reality he's better than 'average', because of the high volume he shoots and the deterrence he provides to the defence.

Let's take Houston as a whole, because they are the three point shooting team par excellence.

Their three point rate is .530, which means they take more threes than twos. Even though they take so many threes, they're hitting at 35.9% as a team, which ranks them 17th for accuracy, so middle of the road.

However their offence is the 2nd best in the league, and the three point shooting is fundamental to this because it opens up the lanes. Houston shoot a scarcely believable 57% inside the arc, and it's no accident - the reason the likes of Harden and Capela are able to be so efficient in the paint is because the defence is forced to stay up on shooters.

Now as regards New Orleans, we shoot 34% on threes as a team, which is bottom five. We are a poor outside shooting team, which is no surprise if you look at our roster.

However like Houston we shoot threes at a higher rate than our accuracy rate would nominally decree we should - a rate of .34, or dead on average. Despite our relatively poor outside shooting, we're still ranked 12th in the league for offensive efficiency, or upper middle class.

The theory is the same as in Houston (and much of the league for that matter), in that you've got to be prepared to take threes in order to open up the paint. For a team who funnels virtually everything through two big guys, this is vitally important.

Cousins spending time at the elbow, high post or behind the three point line gives Davis opportunities to work freely in the paint and opens up lanes for our guards to drive. This is the context within which his shooting rates should be judged, and as I said he's been shooting them at a competent level on sizable volume for long enough that we're comfortable with him shooting them. It's only a problem if he stops taking the ball to the basket, which hasn't happened.

If you were to take someone like Bojan Bogdanovic then the thresholds are different because he does little else and is a defensive liability. Him shooting at 35% from three wouldn't cut it, he needs to be closer to 40% to justify playing time.

Fair enough. You obviously watch them a lot more than me, which makes you a better judge.

I just know that, when Cousins is shooting 3s against the Warriors, I'm not worried. Him working the block or on the inside, getting guys like Green in foul trouble is when I get worried. Him getting lots of free throws, would be my concern when playing against him.

We have a huge correlation with losing in games where the opposition shoots lots of free-throws, so my views probably aren't balanced. Stops our transition game.

Fair enough. You obviously watch them a lot more than me, which makes you a better judge.

I just know that, when Cousins is shooting 3s against the Warriors, I'm not worried. Him working the block or on the inside, getting guys like Green in foul trouble is when I get worried. Him getting lots of free throws, would be my concern when playing against him.

We have a huge correlation with losing in games where the opposition shoots lots of free-throws, so my views probably aren't balanced. Stops our transition game.

He hasn't been shooting as well recently, first 10 games or so he was in a really good shooting rhythm. Not really worried though because 700 odd threes in 2 and a bit seasons is decent enough sample to suggest that he'll hit often enough to make it worth it.

Ideally we'd probably want him taking 4-5 threes per game rather than 7, but with our roster imbalance we have to make do with what we've got. It's worth noting that Boogie's TS% is 56.8% in New Orleans, as opposed to 53.2% during his time in Sacramento. Probably helps playing with Davis, but then again we've go to find ways to be able to play both on court at once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back