Mega Thread The Port Store Mega Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I have nothing against the P it just doesn't immediately read as a Ports jumper.

I quite like the PORT one though, but i've banned myself from merch this year unless we played in the PBs or something

That’s why it was made.

It’s for people who want to wear something that isn’t readily identifiable as Port Adelaide but still want to support the club - it’s like the nose tap that the PA logo originally was.

It's a line of thinking that makes no sense to me.

Wanting to support the club by means of purchase of goods that do not readily identify themselves as being representative of the club?

Surely it's better just to chuck a 20 in to the premiership fund, or buy a membership, or whatever? A beer? A coffee?

Maybe Port should just start retailing regular clothes?

Last edited:

Wanting to support the club by means of purchase of goods that do not readily identify themselves as being representative of the club?

Surely it's better just to chuck a 20 in to the premiership fund, or by a membership, or whatever? A beer? A coffee?

I don't mind having something to differentiate, but I don't get the way we are obsessed with having all these different logos. We have two club logos, but then we put PAs and Ps and Pears on a bunch of stuff - why aren't we showing off our emblem like every other sports team on the planet at every opportunity? this picture of KT wearing a Big W style shirt with no sponsors at the member convention - our most senior employee not even showing off our sponsors? So many opportunities lost.

[IMG='width:280px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/89c0ccb8831d3b331bec0cbf3f7978b0[/IMG]

Surely it's better just to chuck a 20 in to the premiership fund, or by a membership, or whatever? A beer? A coffee?

Yeah. There’s understated and ‘what’s the point’?

Personally I don't think it matters if it's not easily identifiable as a Port related jumper.

If you wear it at games, people will surely know. If you don't then it's something that can be worn anywhere without looking out of place.

That’s why it was made.

It’s for people who want to wear something that isn’t readily identifiable as Port Adelaide but still want to support the club - it’s like the nose tap that the PA logo originally was.

Yeah I just think the P one goes a bit too far in that direction to the realm of genericism.

If we were going to make that college style font our own a little bit i'd get it, but I just don't see what it's doing that the PA monogram isn't doing better.

I don't mind having something to differentiate, but I don't get the way we are obsessed with having all these different logos. We have two club logos, but then we put PAs and Ps and Pears on a bunch of stuff - why aren't we showing off our emblem like every other sports team on the planet at every opportunity? this picture of KT wearing a Big W style shirt with no sponsors at the member convention - our most senior employee not even showing off our sponsors? So many opportunities lost.

[IMG='width:280px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/89c0ccb8831d3b331bec0cbf3f7978b0[/IMG]
Most soccer clubs etc. have ranges you wouldn't know came from the club unless you were a fan. Some people prefer the more subtle stuff, though I agree the P is weird.

Yeah I just think the P one goes a bit too far in that direction to the realm of genericism.

If we were going to make that college style font our own a little bit i'd get it, but I just don't see what it's doing that the PA monogram isn't doing better.

I dunno. A lot of people were really keen on the club producing a t-shirt with a pear drawn on it a few years ago. That would have been the ultimate in 'nose tap' club merchandise.

I dunno. A lot of people were really keen on the club producing a t-shirt with a pear drawn on it a few years ago. That would have been the ultimate in 'nose tap' club merchandise.
But far less generic than a College font P, and something that actually resonates with the supporter base.

Surprised we didn't end up releasing a Pear tshirt. We put a little pear on a few pieces of training wear, but it was just the size of a 5c piece on the sleeve.

But far less generic than a College font P, and something that actually resonates with the supporter base.

Surprised we didn't end up releasing a Pear tshirt. We put a little pear on a few pieces of training wear, but it was just the size of a 5c piece on the sleeve.

Not to drag this argument out too far, but surely a college font is no more generic than an LA Dodgers inspired baseball font. When i first bought a PA hat in late 2012 i wore it everywhere, and had quite a few random people say to me "That's a Port Adelaide Baseball Club hat, isn't it?".

Look, all i'm saying is i like both and would probably wear both.

We aren't the Port Adelaide Pears though. An inside joke shouldn't be turned into a full time piece of merch with a large insignia. A once off, size of a 5c piece thing is as far as it should have gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't the Port Adelaide Pears though. An inside joke shouldn't be turned into a full time piece of merch with a large insignia. A once off, size of a 5c piece thing is as far as it should have gone.
Didn't have to be full time, could have been a one off.

Nothing wrong with a unique and humorous nickname, initiated by the playing group no less. It's not like the nickname Power is revered in any sort of way. We missed the boat on the Pear merch range, would've been real cool I reckon.

Nothing wrong with a unique and humorous nickname, initiated by the playing group no less. It's not like the nickname Power is revered in any sort of way. We missed the boat on the Pear merch range, would've been real cool I reckon.

The nickname is fine, I just don't want merch with large pictures of fruit on it. You don't see Collingwood getting around with actual pies on their polo shirts.

Not to drag this argument out too far, but surely a college font is no more generic than an LA Dodgers inspired baseball font. When i first bought a PA hat in late 2012 i wore it everywhere, and had quite a few random people say to me "That's a Port Adelaide Baseball Club hat, isn't it?".

Look, all i'm saying is i like both and would probably wear both.
I was at the PA Baseball club around that time. We managed to order New Era caps when they used to still do custom orders.
The logo is a Magpie on a Bat, was the bestest hat in the world.

I was at the PA Baseball club around that time. We managed to order New Era caps when they used to still do custom orders.
The logo is a Magpie on a Bat, was the bestest hat in the world.

The Baseball club has now moved to the PA monogram hat.

9f2c67b194c893ae73e2845cff1a1724.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nickname is fine, I just don't want merch with large pictures of fruit on it. You don't see Collingwood getting around with actual pies on their polo shirts.
We picked such a weak and generic nickname in 1996 and with that we threw away a heap of merchandising potential, which is why people flock to fun ideas like a pear shirt.

We should have been the Pirates, then we'd have a bottomless pit of merch potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Back