Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

There's a decent number of teams who could possibly flame out badly and finish near us on the ladder, but very few that you'd expect to finish near us on the ladder.

I think we're about evens for the spoon.

There's a decent number of teams who could possibly flame out badly and finish near us on the ladder, but very few that you'd expect to finish near us on the ladder.

I think we're about evens for the spoon.

Clear favourites compared to last year.

In contrast it shows how even the competition for the 8 is when the team on the 15th line (Gold Coast) is only 3.75

I don't believe for a minute that we will get the spoon this year...
Neither do I Mac Mum. Cant believe that some supporters want to think we will be last at the end of the season without giving the list a chance to show us their new game plan & attitude provided by our new coaching & support staff. At the very least we should have enthusiasm about this season, not tipping them to finish last before the season even kick's off!!!(Hope none of our listed players read some of the comments on this thread.)
I don't care where we finish really. I wanna see positive change and a game plan that makes us competitive. If we do that, the spoon will go elsewhere for sure.

Neither do I Mac Mum. Cant believe that some supporters want to think we will be last at the end of the season without giving the list a chance to show us their new game plan & attitude provided by our new coaching & support staff. At the very least we should have enthusiasm about this season, not tipping them to finish last before the season even kick's off!!!(Hope none of our listed players read some of the comments on this thread.)
I don't care where we finish really. I wanna see positive change and a game plan that makes us competitive. If we do that, the spoon will go elsewhere for sure.

You don't think years of thinking that "this is the year" has people a bit more circumspect. I was going to say that no one wants to think we'll finish last, but there are some ultra-negative types among us, and I'll never understand why those people think the way they do. But history shows that teams with new coaches don't allow have a bounce and that it can take a while to "get it". All other 17 teams will also be planning and hoping that they show improvement this year. The team is still very young and still lacking in some key areas, which will cost us some games we probably should win.

In short, some people are just being realistic.

Being realistic, we didn't get the spoon last year when we were at our worst, so I just can't see that with a new everything, including a sense of pride and working together as a team that we will "win" the spoon....

...if we do, then imo there is genuinely no hope at all for this club, they might as well fold the whole show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think years of thinking that "this is the year" has people a bit more circumspect. I was going to say that no one wants to think we'll finish last, but there are some ultra-negative types among us, and I'll never understand why those people think the way they do. But history shows that teams with new coaches don't allow have a bounce and that it can take a while to "get it". All other 17 teams will also be planning and hoping that they show improvement this year. The team is still very young and still lacking in some key areas, which will cost us some games we probably should win.

In short, some people are just being realistic.
I am being genuinely realistic is saying I believe we "bottomed out" last year. With the AFL finally recognising we were not on a level playing field, we now have coaching resources that other clubs have, and a list (even though they are young & inexperienced) that can take us forward this year and years to come. That being said is not a pipe dream, it is real. To think we will finish last with the improvements in place to me is definitely a pessimist's view. Being realistic (again), I believe we will still be bottom 4 this year BUT, definitely don't think we will win the spoon.

I am being genuinely realistic is saying I believe we "bottomed out" last year. With the AFL finally recognising we were not on a level playing field, we now have coaching resources that other clubs have, and a list (even though they are young & inexperienced) that can take us forward this year and years to come. That being said is not a pipe dream, it is real. To think we will finish last with the improvements in place to me is definitely a pessimist's view. Being realistic (again), I believe we will still be bottom 4 this year BUT, definitely don't think we will win the spoon.
If they can get a couple of wins on the board early and build a bit of confidence. Then 6-8 wins are definately manageable. Which i cant see being bottom of the table. I think it all depends on how they start the year.

Being realistic, we didn't get the spoon last year when we were at our worst, so I just can't see that with a new everything, including a sense of pride and working together as a team that we will "win" the spoon....

...if we do, then imo there is genuinely no hope at all for this club, they might as well fold the whole show.

We finished 0.6 percentage points above the wooden-spoon "winner" who had most of their best players missing. It would take Fremantle being even more putrid than they were last year (hard to see with Fyfe and Sandlilands back) or someone like North Melbourne, Port or Richmond imploding - history shows that this can happen, but to rely on it is foolish.

I've been optimistic that we were ready for the next step since 2010. I'm not going to be so stupid this year.

We finished 0.6 percentage points above the wooden-spoon "winner" who had most of their best players missing. It would take Fremantle being even more putrid than they were last year (hard to see with Fyfe and Sandlilands back) or someone like North Melbourne, Port or Richmond imploding - history shows that this can happen, but to rely on it is foolish.

I've been optimistic that we were ready for the next step since 2010. I'm not going to be so stupid this year.
Suggestion: Change the contents of whatever is left in that half empty glass. It may help you be a little more positive but not delirious enough to think finals footy is not far away. LOL

A full year younger than the next youngest,fact.This is first year expansion team stuff.There might be good times ahead results wise but it ain't 2017.
Good fact to state for the peeps/supporters who didn't already know that we have a very young list.
Not saying this year is going to be finals footy....I do believe that we will take steps forward compared to other recent years...and NOT win the spoon.

Of the clubs around us, Richmond, Carlton & Gold Coast each played Essendon's VFL side twice (and collectively only managed to win 4/6 of them), and I can imagine any or all of them stagnating. If we can manage to be slightly less shameful on the field this year we're certainly in with a chance.

The inexperience watch thread will certainly need updating all year though :eek:

Good fact to state for the peeps/supporters who didn't already know that we have a very young list.
Not saying this year is going to be finals footy....I do believe that we will take steps forward compared to other recent years...and NOT win the spoon.
Not sure I stated we WILL win the spoon.Silly argument what part of the bottom four we finish.

Suggestion: Change the contents of whatever is left in that half empty glass. It may help you be a little more positive but not delirious enough to think finals footy is not far away. LOL

No-one wants to finish last but in reality someone has to and we're most likely. I'm optimistic we'll see an improvement this year on the field and we'll be much more competitive over the season and within games themselves. As Belgo eluded too, what we will see is us falling short on occasions just because we're relatively young and inexperienced. What is a bit annoying is that despite people putting their reasoning out there as to why they think we might end up with the spoon, you've chosen to ignore engaging in a reasonable conversation about it and instead have continued to mock them.

Maybe you should identify who you think will take the spoon instead of us and some reasoning behind that thought process rather than just cycling through a continuous barrage of calling people pessimists, just because after a number of years of false dawns they're understandably a little cautious.

My glass is at 50% capacity.

And I've never stated whether I think we'll take the spoon or not. I'm no longer in the business of making predictions like that.

LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back