Toast The Renaissance of Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Now with 0.9 for the year, surely one goes through eventually.

But he is rated elite for behinds.

Seriously though, he should probably stop taking shots and always look to give. His assists inside 50 are actually pretty good. By our team's terrible forward entry standards, anyway.
Did kick two posters in the showdown I think? I mean that's a bit tough.

But agreed, he just shouldn't kick for goal. For all his positive traits, his goalkicking is atrocious

Did kick two posters in the showdown I think? I mean that's a bit tough.

But agreed, he just shouldn't kick for goal. For all his positive traits, his goalkicking is atrocious
Yeah the one that got overturned without the umpire even calling a review felt like monkey off the back when he celebrated, and then right back on.

Had that one gone though, wouldn't surprise me if he'd be more like 4.5 now, and it wouldn't really be a talking point.

Would've it hurt Boak to practice his set shots on goal in the off season one time instead of going to a bloke who trains up tendons and fascia and stuff?
Who is to say he hasn't done both? If he has it clearly hasn't reflected in game day performance.

Its not just a Travis Boak issue though. This year:
  • Our midfielders - 26 goals from 95 shots @ 27%. JHF the leader @ 50%.
  • Our KPFs - 44 goals from 101 shots @ 43%. Mitch the leader @ 50%
  • Other forwards lead the way with 28 from 71 @ 54%
Those efforts from our midfielders and KPFs are ****ing deplorable. Its not unreasonable to expect a lot more from a team sitting 5th. You can't lay it all at the feet of our gameplan.

It costs us games, positions on the ladder, finals, etc. We have been consistently in the bottom 3 for goalkicking over the last 10 years. In 2023 Butters and Rozee, two AA players, had 34 goals from 84 shots!

There is a dire need for a goalkicking coach at Port. Not just for set shots but all shots from forwards and midfielders. I cannot understand why this is not addressed. Not some BS program led by Chad Cornes during the season either.

Who is to say he hasn't done both? If he has it clearly hasn't reflected in game day performance.

Its not just a Travis Boak issue though. This year:
  • Our midfielders - 26 goals from 95 shots @ 27%. JHF the leader @ 50%.
  • Our KPFs - 44 goals from 101 shots @ 43%. Mitch the leader @ 50%
  • Other forwards lead the way with 28 from 71 @ 54%
Those efforts from our midfielders and KPFs are ******* deplorable. Its not unreasonable to expect a lot more from a team sitting 5th. You can't lay it all at the feet of our gameplan.

It costs us games, positions on the ladder, finals, etc. We have been consistently in the bottom 3 for goalkicking over the last 10 years. In 2023 Butters and Rozee, two AA players, had 34 goals from 84 shots!

There is a dire need for a goalkicking coach at Port. Not just for set shots but all shots from forwards and midfielders. I cannot understand why this is not addressed. Not some BS program led by Chad Cornes during the season either.
In case you were wondering about other teams midfielders:

Sydney 52 from 96 54.2%
Essendon 23 from 51 45.1%
Geelong 24 from 64 37.5%
Collingwood 37 from 74 50%
GWS 24 from 51 47.5%
Melbourne 29 from 72 40.2%
GCS 39 from 71 54.9%

Average for the top 8 (minus Port) 47%. A reminder ours is 27%.

While Travis and Ollie are the chief offenders, they are not alone. Remember most teams have 2 or 3 midfielders well above 50%.

1716452447996.png

Yeah, Boak has either not practiced his goal kicking over the journey or practiced it poorly. The results show this and just about everyone here bemoans when he has a set shot in a game, especially for big games and even worse for finals.

Sydney 52 from 96 54.2%
Geelong 24 from 64 37.5%
GWS 24 from 51 47.5%
GCS 39 from 71 54.9%

While Travis and Ollie are the chief offenders, they are not alone. Remember most teams have 2 or 3 midfielders well above 50%.

View attachment 1997976

That's a lot of blasted piss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best game by Boak for a long time. Was into everything, showing some real touch around the ball.

As RussellEbertHandball was quick to tell me today, the intensity of the game was pretty low and North didn't have a man on him so he could freely gut run up and down the wing as he pleased.

The biggest positive was that his work rate was great and it certainly helped to keep them in the game early when a lot of players were loafing. But he still butchered the ball too many times for my liking.

I still think by the end of the season when the whips are cracking in September if they're a serious contender he shouldn't be in the best 23.

Sydney 52 from 96 54.2%
Geelong 24 from 64 37.5%
GWS 24 from 51 47.5%
GCS 39 from 71 54.9%

View attachment 1997976
Everything went to crap once Jasper Pittard led goal kicking practice and Ken kept asking players to hand off to him for a flying misdirected shot at goal.

As RussellEbertHandball was quick to tell me today, the intensity of the game was pretty low and North didn't have a man on him so he could freely gut run up and down the wing as he pleased.

The biggest positive was that his work rate was great and it certainly helped to keep them in the game early when a lot of players were loafing. But he still butchered the ball too many times for my liking.

I still think by the end of the season when the whips are cracking in September if they're a serious contender he shouldn't be in the best 23.
Nice knock. Your description of his performance is exactly that of what good wingers do. Except 72%DE and 3 goal assists doesn't exactly scream ball butchery.

But tell me...exactly who replaces him in the 23 assuming we are serious September contenders?

Nice knock. Your description of his performance is exactly that of what good wingers do. Except 72%DE and 3 goal assists doesn't exactly scream ball butchery.

But tell me...exactly who replaces him in the 23 assuming we are serious September contenders?

This is my best 23 assuming everyone healthy:

B: BZT Ratugolea Jones
HB: Houston Aliir Farrell
C: Bergman Wines Burgoyne
HF: Mead Marshall Rozee
F: Georgiades Dixon Rioli
FOLL: Soldo Butters JHF
INT: Burton Drew McEntee DBJ
SUB: Sinn

Realistically I see them rolling 8 deep in midfield in the finals. Boak imo is 9th on the depth chart.

This is my best 23 assuming everyone healthy:

B: BZT Ratugolea Jones
HB: Houston Aliir Farrell
C: Bergman Wines Burgoyne
HF: Mead Marshall Rozee
F: Georgiades Dixon Rioli
FOLL: Soldo Butters JHF
INT: Burton Drew McEntee DBJ
SUB: Sinn

Realistically I see them rolling 8 deep in midfield in the finals. Boak imo is 9th on the depth chart.
ok. We will see how the season pans out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back