Analysis Thommo is it time?

Playing Thommo in big games?

• Yes, it's worth a try.

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • No way known he's cooked.

Votes: 76 85.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the few SANFL games I've seen he's even struggled there! He may get 30 possessions, but these haven't really been accompanied by constructive, useful disposals - every one of them seems rushed, haphazard - and we have enough of this in our bad losses already! Poholke is the one to try, not Thommo.

What was the glaring issue against Geelong, which everyman and his dog have called us out on?????

And watching Friday night, if no one is prepared to put their body in for the hard ball, then the glass needs to be broken

I wouldnt be opposed to bringing him for certain games where we have history of choking, because something needs to change.

Against the Saints at home it wouldnt surprise me if he performs. But if we play him in games where its going to be a tough challenge for us to win, he is going to be at least try and make sure he is permanent fixture in his final year with his performance.

I have no idea of his SANFL form. Has he improved? Is he slower? Does he still turnover? I mean I would like to know where he is at before saying yes to him. From what I have briefly read, tbh he should have retired a year or two ago.

Thommo's inclusion would not have changed the result last week.

I wouldnt be opposed to bringing him for certain games where we have history of choking, because something needs to change.

Against the Saints at home it wouldnt surprise me if he performs. But if we play him in games where its going to be a tough challenge for us to win, he is going to be at least try and make sure he is permanent fixture in his final year with his performance.

I have no idea of his SANFL form. Has he improved? Is he slower? Does he still turnover? I mean I would like to know where he is at before saying yes to him. From what I have briefly read, tbh he should have retired a year or two ago.

Thommo's inclusion would not have changed the result last week.

I disagree Thommos inclusion may have changed the result, if he had applied the physical pressure we needed to from him, more so than anyone on the list he could apply that pressure. I think its fair to say we have no one apart from Tex, Talia and maybe harto that has some aggression, cheney has it but is still recovering, Thommo is the only hard nut we have for the mid that applies a strong physical pressence, greenwood is good but and will tackle play him in Mackays position or Atkins but not to get the ball out and maybe just maybe sloanes jub will be easier with a big body making room for him

If Thommo is the answer to us choking in games then why has he been involved in said games in previous years? What's the difference? I love the guy but the club has made its mind up on him and he wont play unless a big name goes down in mid. If we are to move forward as a club then we need to keep him in the SANFL.

Thommo's greatest highlight on the weekend in the SANFL was handball receive/remain stationery/deliver handball to player who runs down and kicks ball. His feet were locked in place like an amateur Netballer.

He can't run.

It's definitely time for Thommo. Time for him to retire from AFL.

If Thommo is the answer to us choking in games then why has he been involved in said games in previous years? What's the difference? I love the guy but the club has made its mind up on him and he wont play unless a big name goes down in mid. If we are to move forward as a club then we need to keep him in the SANFL.

If we are to contend at finals this year (forget next year) we either need to bring in Thommo against the tough teams or make sure someone is capable of doing that by september ATM no one has shown they are capable we have recruited a bunch of running softies. We have tex who used to be rough and tough and has gone into his shell, let him lose if he gets reported so be it. I will hear how the WB won the flag but lets be honest they fluked it I would rather be like the unsociable hawthorn who were super strong

I expect us to play Thommo against the Hawks at home, give Douglas a rest ... but of course, I have no confidence that we won't give Matt Crouch a rest so Thommo can play.

In reality, if we were a brutal club - this would not even come up. We would be ruthless at every opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect us to play Thommo against the Hawks at home, give Douglas a rest ... but of course, I have no confidence that we won't give Matt Crouch a rest so Thommo can play.

In reality, if we were a brutal club - this would not even come up. We would be ruthless at every opportunity.
exactly, his farewell game would have been 12 months ago.

Yeh good idea cos having Thommo in our side for the last 10 years enabled us to beat Geelong and perform well in finals.

Thommo, Dougie and MacKay have had their time as the midfield "guns" and failed miserably - retire them all and let the next gen have a crack.

He won't be brought in yet as we are only playing the saints at home but if there is another insipid performance where we get pushed around and lose the game because of physical pressure the coaches will be left no alternative that to fix the soft arse team. Pyke will back his players but they wouldn't want to put up a pathetic soft performance again this year especially against a contender

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel like the saints are quicker than us having watched most of their matches this season. Could be wrong. We need to be on our game for this one and a slow Thommo is going to add no value. Having said that if there is a chance for him to have a send off game last round and rest someone with a niggle before finals then I hope that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree Thommos inclusion may have changed the result, if he had applied the physical pressure we needed to from him, more so than anyone on the list he could apply that pressure. I think its fair to say we have no one apart from Tex, Talia and maybe harto that has some aggression, cheney has it but is still recovering, Thommo is the only hard nut we have for the mid that applies a strong physical pressence, greenwood is good but and will tackle play him in Mackays position or Atkins but not to get the ball out and maybe just maybe sloanes jub will be easier with a big body making room for him

I was thinking yesterday how we could just do something out of left field in the middle when we are getting trounced in CP. why not replace all the mids with talls and have the mids rush in off the square. An AFL blitz play. It may just disturb the opposition mids off for a little and stop their momentum.

I was thinking yesterday how we could just do something out of left field in the middle when we are getting trounced in CP. why not replace all the mids with talls and have the mids rush in off the square. An AFL blitz play. It may just disturb the opposition mids off for a little and stop their momentum.

Go with a completely empty forward line? Everyone running out of defense? Could be amusing

Because our list management team are as competent as our coaching team.

Our recruiters must hate our list managers?

They hand them 90% gold and 10% s**t and the list managers filter out the gold and keep the s**t

Yeh good idea cos having Thommo in our side for the last 10 years enabled us to beat Geelong and perform well in finals.

Thommo, Dougie and MacKay have had their time as the midfield "guns" and failed miserably - retire them all and let the next gen have a crack.

Last win against Geelong had all three in the team with Douggie 33 possessions, Mackay 25 and Thommo 15.

Go with a completely empty forward line? Everyone running out of defense? Could be amusing

Haha love it. So nobody at centre bounce? How does the umpire ask who is competing at bounce? Does Sauce stand at full forward with his hand up :)

If we are to contend at finals this year (forget next year) we either need to bring in Thommo against the tough teams or make sure someone is capable of doing that by september ATM no one has shown they are capable we have recruited a bunch of running softies. We have tex who used to be rough and tough and has gone into his shell, let him lose if he gets reported so be it. I will hear how the WB won the flag but lets be honest they fluked it I would rather be like the unsociable hawthorn who were super strong
some of the poorer contested ball players in our side that can run have more chance of improving their contested ball efforts from Friday night than Thommo has of improving his running to help apply full ground pressure

No No No

Back