Tigers know how to put on a show

Remove this Banner Ad

When they were first brought in, it was a nice innovation...."Jungle drums", adding to the build up to the players coming onto the ground.

It got the crowd involved early, added to the atmosphere, set the tone, and in doing so possibly even pumped up the players that little bit more.

That was a couple of years back though and it's gotten a bit tired, and while less effective now it probably does have some of the same effects. I dare say if they could come up with a better idea it'd be out pretty quickly.

I bet the drummers think it's a good gig though.

The drums worked well with the old theme song with the loud horns kicking in and the crowd bursting into the song.
With this new recording it's to flat and so is the crowd. Uncle Dave's Casio Keyboard version just doesn't do the trick

Can’t stomach the crappy American style chees double cheese hype.
We are Australia with our own culture, let’s not lose it, let our fans make the atmosphere not the crappy noise through the p.a, ....
I do like the drums though, keep it natural.

FFS the thread is literally applauding Richmond for the entire gameday experience and was created by an Adelaide supporter, how thick are you?
Have to agree with this.
Think Cap was on a bender and completely missed the point!

I have been to a couple of Essendon home games and they love a good air raid siren.
That really annoyed me when I took my Vietnamese/Chinese in-laws to a game and it happened to be against Essendon. They grew up in North Vietnam in a town that was bombed off and on by the Yanks for over a decade. Great way to win them over to the footy experience!

Richmond were playing like the Harlem Globetrotters in the second quarter, even the commentators said so

I used that line on the Richmond board after the Dreamtime game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That really annoyed me when I took my Vietnamese/Chinese in-laws to a game and it happened to be against Essendon. They grew up in North Vietnam in a town that was bombed off and on by the Yanks for over a decade. Great way to win them over to the footy experience!
Agree, I still remember the blitz!!

Harlem Globetrotter like in the second quarter
Just absolutely brilliant. Funny thing is I was thinking Harlem Globetrotters whilst watching it unfold. Mind you I think one of the commentators may have sewn that seed in my head. But nevertheless it was brilliant to watch!

Good to see this thread started by a non tiger. Read so many people say we have a huge bandwagon but every club invariably does when times are good.

Since 2013, we have been top 2 each season for average crowds - Collingwood being the other team to lay claim to that title. Even in 2016 when we had a disappointing season, we were still top 2. (Collingwood had the biggest attendance averages in 2013, 2014 and 2016; whilst we had top spot in 2015, 2017 and so far, 2018).

Personally, I think it comes down in part to things like crowd, supporter and gameday engagement. I can't remember the exact article. Think it was one where Carlton poached one of our former directors earlier this season. Essentially it talked about how the Tiger army is the most engaged in the league - hence why our crowd and membership numbers are strong. Rivals like Essendon and Carlton may be more popular across the board (I'm just speculating here) but RFC have seemingly found a way to better connect with supporters and create an experience that brings people to games and also commit as members. Wouldn't be surprised to see other clubs find innovative ways to replicate this for themselves too, such is the nature of our highly competitive, highly saturated sporting market.

Actually, just found the articles.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-blues-fans-lack-the-fire-of-the-tigers-20180216-p4z0lz.html

"Richmond's fans are the most engaged of all the big clubs in the competition. When you compare the underlying supporter bases, the Tigers – by their own admission – are clearly smaller than Collingwood and Essendon and on the most recent research (which could change post-flag), they were still less numerous than the Carlton tribe."

"Richmond can be likened to the Chicago Cubs, in that belonging to the tribe supersedes winning. The supporter is central to the club identity. The same applies, to a lesser extent, to Collingwood, who are defined by an up-against-them psychology and treat victory like a form of revenge against everyone.

The Carlton tribe, by contrast, was long wedded to the notion that the Blues are ruthless winners, who will achieve success, by hook or by crook; that they will not tolerate defeat for long. Unfortunately, many supporters won't tolerate defeat for long either."

This article is also a good read.

https://investmentmagazine.com.au/2018/02/richmond-tigers-boss-has-game-plan-for-member-engagement/

The Gws final last year was the best noise in afl history. The mcc had 5k empty seats which would and should have been taken up by more tigers from the public. We should have had 100,000 screaming Richmond supporters

Good to see this thread started by a non tiger. Read so many people say we have a huge bandwagon but every club invariably does when times are good.

Since 2013, we have been top 2 each season for average crowds - Collingwood being the other team to lay claim to that title. Even in 2016 when we had a disappointing season, we were still top 2. (Collingwood had the biggest attendance averages in 2013, 2014 and 2016; whilst we had top spot in 2015, 2017 and so far, 2018).

Personally, I think it comes down in part to things like crowd, supporter and gameday engagement. I can't remember the exact article. Think it was one where Carlton poached one of our former directors earlier this season. Essentially it talked about how the Tiger army is the most engaged in the league - hence why our crowd and membership numbers are strong. Rivals like Essendon and Carlton may be more popular across the board (I'm just speculating here) but RFC have seemingly found a way to better connect with supporters and create an experience that brings people to games and also commit as members. Wouldn't be surprised to see other clubs find innovative ways to replicate this for themselves too, such is the nature of our highly competitive, highly saturated sporting market.

Actually, just found the articles.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-blues-fans-lack-the-fire-of-the-tigers-20180216-p4z0lz.html

This article is also a good read.

https://investmentmagazine.com.au/2018/02/richmond-tigers-boss-has-game-plan-for-member-engagement/

Will probably hit a nerve with interstate clubs.

Howay the lads (assuming thats the NUFC reference in your name).

You sure know how to pick frustrating clubs (until recently).

Will probably hit a nerve with interstate clubs.

Howay the lads (assuming thats the NUFC reference in your name).

You sure know how to pick frustrating clubs (until recently).

Howay the lads!

Indeed I do - I consider it character building ;)

Though on the flipside, you've been in the same Newcastle boat as myself so seeing your AFL side come just short of success last season must hurt.

If the Tiges can pluck a premiership from nowhere, I live in hope the Toon can one day do the same. First we need to get rid of Ashley though and get an ambitious owner in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back