News Tom Jonas sole captain for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I switch off these days when Koch is at the press conference.

He is the master of spin.

There is no way that Ollie should still be in the leadership group.

If you meet with a coach from another team you are not fully committed to the club. He can play all year in the SANFL are far as I am concerned.

Do footballers need to be role models and as captain (or co-captain) set a good example in their dealings with supporters?

YES X 10,000!
Their entire value is based on something with little to no intrinsic value. Unlike nurses, teachers, firefighters for example, they do nothing of any real worth!

Acting right to the people that pay them is the least they can do!

I always told my kids that even though it’s disappointing sometimes they can’t always have everything their own way and throwing tantrums or ongoing sooking because of it is a waste of energy. Let off steam but don’t stew on it.

It seems that no matter what the club does there is outrage.
I love BF but if only there were a more balanced one sometimes.

It seems that being glass half full here is frowned upon and only negative views have any credence.

Anyway, the club has responded.
Jonas doesn’t really scream captain material but time will tell.

In 2021 we could well have a new head coach and a new captain.

Felt a bit sorry for Ollie in the presser. Hope he has a breakout year.
Not convinced he is staying. He said he is all in but would have sounded better if he said I am all in for the next three years.

I would be as worried about what Cripps and Davies are thinking as Ollie when it comes to his longevity at Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could be 100% correct imo, watching his face in the TV interview said quite a bit IMO.
Well see what his character is like through this set back could be the making or braking of him.

Yeah
But when I think we can either keep Ollie or get two first round draft picks and free up 900k a year by him leaving... well if we have seen his peak already then I’m happy for him to go

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

"A single captain, wearing number 1 on their back, is an out of date fashion." - Keith Thomas February 2019

"A single captain, wearing number 1 on their back, is one of those icons for the Port Adelaide Football Club." - Keith Thomas December 2019

lol @ how every single bit of this could have been avoided if they just had a co-captains model internally in 2019 while one of the two wore the number 1.

I was feeling really good about the #1 until I watched that presser.

The only good bit about it was Koch acknowledging that they are only the keepers of the club and that there responsibility is to leave it better than they found it.

Not one of them could admit that the model failed.

All of them insisted that it was just window dressing and that nothing would change internally.

It was clear from Kochies answer that it was driven by the board in response to members and corporates not the players and coaches.

It was also clear that there is a divide in the club between the older Jonas' and the younger Wines'.

And Ollie is committed to the club "as it stands right now" = GONE.

When are they going to realise that the #1 is about more than window dressing? It is about leadership, strength, unity, fortitude and winning.

It is one part of a model of how to run a football club that saw us become the most successful club in Australia.

If nothing else it was idiotic PR to come out and say that nothing will change internally. FFS even if you dont believe it come out and say that Tommy is the sole leader and things will change. It is what the members want to hear.

I can only hope that Tommy grows into the #1 and that when he puts that jumper on and he talks to the old captains he realises that he has a responsibility to be more than a co-captain. I hope he wrests the club from the jaws of everyones a winner mediocrity

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

"A single captain, wearing number 1 on their back, is an out of date fashion." - Keith Thomas February 2019

"A single captain, wearing number 1 on their back, is one of those icons for the Port Adelaide Football Club." - Keith Thomas December 2019

Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.....

Oceania has always been at war with eastasia.....

The timing of the announcement tells you something.

Last season's announcement was left until most people had renewed their memberships and after members' convention tickets had been sold.

This season's announcement is made in early December when memberships are tanking and they need people to come back onboard.

The cynical voice in my head says this is more about dollars than tradition.

I was feeling really good about the #1 until I watched that presser.

The only good bit about it was Koch acknowledging that they are only the keepers of the club and that there responsibility is to leave it better than they found it.

Not one of them could admit that the model failed.

All of them insisted that it was just window dressing and that nothing would change internally.

It was clear from Kochies answer that it was driven by the board in response to members and corporates not the players and coaches.

It was also clear that there is a divide in the club between the older Jonas' and the younger Wines'.

And Ollie is committed to the club "as it stands right now" = GONE.

When are they going to realise that the #1 is about more than window dressing? It is about leadership, strength, unity, fortitude and winning.

It is one part of a model of how to run a football club that saw us become the most successful club in Australia.

If nothing else it was idiotic PR to come out and say that nothing will change internally. FFS even if you dont believe it come out and say that Tommy is the sole leader and things will change. It is what the members want to hear.

I can only hope that Tommy grows into the #1 and that when he puts that jumper on and he talks to the old captains he realises that he has a responsibility to be more than a co-captain. I hope he wrests the club from the jaws of everyones a winner mediocrity

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. If we ever need someone to stand up and prove it it’s right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back