News Tom Jonas sole captain for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The timing of the announcement tells you something.

Last season's announcement was left until most people had renewed their memberships and after members' convention tickets had been sold.

This season's announcement is made in early December when memberships are tanking and they need people to come back onboard.

The cynical voice in my head says this is more about dollars than tradition.
Yeah we save the shittest decisions for after dollars are locked in.

After reading KT’s letter and seeing the leadership group unchanged, I’m now feeling that the club doesn’t believe it was in error nor that there’s any real value to the captain wearing #1. This whole exercise is just paying lip service while nothing has really changed internally.

Co-captains is dead in name but alive in spirit.

We need change. Stability be damned.

bingo they still believe co captains are they way to go.
where as i believe we should have never had co captains

I was feeling really good about the #1 until I watched that presser.

The only good bit about it was Koch acknowledging that they are only the keepers of the club and that there responsibility is to leave it better than they found it.

Not one of them could admit that the model failed.

All of them insisted that it was just window dressing and that nothing would change internally.

It was clear from Kochies answer that it was driven by the board in response to members and corporates not the players and coaches.

It was also clear that there is a divide in the club between the older Jonas' and the younger Wines'.

And Ollie is committed to the club "as it stands right now" = GONE.

When are they going to realise that the #1 is about more than window dressing? It is about leadership, strength, unity, fortitude and winning.

It is one part of a model of how to run a football club that saw us become the most successful club in Australia.

If nothing else it was idiotic PR to come out and say that nothing will change internally. FFS even if you dont believe it come out and say that Tommy is the sole leader and things will change. It is what the members want to hear.

I can only hope that Tommy grows into the #1 and that when he puts that jumper on and he talks to the old captains he realises that he has a responsibility to be more than a co-captain. I hope he wrests the club from the jaws of everyones a winner mediocrity

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah, I'm happy enough with them keeping the same leadership model internally. They all obviously think its worth persisting with. I'm not attending team meetings or doing preseason so they can do whatever the * they like as far as I'm concerned.

Just win.

Nah, I'm happy enough with them keeping the same leadership model internally. They all obviously think its worth persisting with. I'm not attending team meetings or doing preseason so they can do whatever the fu** they like as far as I'm concerned.

Just win.
In order of alignment with true Port Adelaide values that led us to be so successful it would be

1. Single, strong leader
2. Having the balls to elect co-captains and stick by it.
...daylight...
3. Pretending to do a single captain because you are too weak to really choose a single captain and too weak to man up about it.

It isn't the fact that they are lying to us again so much as the fact that they don't see the correlation between our history our courage of conviction and our success.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably news to no one but this was on Twitter leaked by Tredrea before the assistants were told

The assistants would usually be part of the decision in any well run organisation. This is clearly a board decision in any case.

Probably news to no one but this was on Twitter leaked by Tredrea before the assistants were told

I was told Wednesday afternoon by someone not even connected to the club.

It's a shame the clubs decision has turned the direction of rabid pack's foaming on both Wines and Jonas.

Neither had their best years, but feel a lot of it has been magnified just to highlight the poor decision.

I’d say it harks back to the events just after the decision.

Co-captains as a concept was already unpopular, but after Wines did his shoulder wakeboarding, Jonas decided the best course of action amidst the criticism of Wines was to tweet a picture of himself skiing:

B59A9583-50DD-458D-BB85-F0413CC353CD.jpeg

I mean, read the ****ing room.

The club was already clearly out of touch with the members, then one captain (with a recently-inked 5-year deal in his pocket) jeopardises his season and the other doubles down on the out-of-touch quotient spectacularly.

Meanwhile, the club has its hand out for much-needed membership cash and has its propaganda minion guilting dissenters into stumping up their hard-earned regardless of their feelings on the wider shitshow unfolding before them.

It all unfolded like an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

FAR-WEST FOOTY

On podcast format:

I'm not sure how clear my spoken English is, though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back