News Tom Jonas sole captain for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane is a flog always has been always will be the fact we gifted him games to get him to 300 games to have him walk out like he did is a crime.
Dumb call.

Gifted games but he walked out and shame on him? Can't have it both ways. We actually missed him when he left and he was never really replaced. As for changing careers shame on a bloke trying something new in life...

Dumb call.

Gifted games but he walked out and shame on him? Can't have it both ways. We actually missed him when he left and he was never really replaced. As for changing careers shame on a bloke trying something new in life...
Yes I can I just did.
If you cant see that we were coming off a preliminary final loss to be playing a man down for majority of the next yr didn't hurt us well I don't know what to tell you. And kane used the excuse that it was a once in a life time opportunity to walk away after how long? Which took someones once in a lifetime opportunity away from them them your the dumb one.

Last edited:

Yes I can I just did.
If you cant see that we were coming off a preliminary final loss to be playing a man down for majority of the next yr didn't hurt us well I don't know what to tell you. And kane used the excuse that it was a once in a life time opportunity to walk away after how long? Which took someones once in a lifetime opportunity away from them them your the dumb one.
His form was dropping off and on verge of being dropped anyway?
He and the club had no chance making finals when he left anyway, he certainly wasn't the reason we turned up s**t most weeks. He wanted to give it a go and it wasn't for him, who cares who hasn't done this?

He and the club had no chance making finals when he left anyway, he certainly wasn't the reason we turned up s**t most weeks. He wanted to give it a go and it wasn't for him, who cares who hasn't done this?
Not making finals we were 1 game out of the 8 after end 8 when he retired and he applied to be a 🔥 fighter before the season even began let's not re write history.

Well thats a lot of historical revisionism.

Kane was actually playing pretty well, and actually had a good game in his final match. 28 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 6 tackles, 5 Inside 50s.

He wasn't anywhere near being dropped, and most of the questions after his retirement were about him leaving a big hole in Port's midfield.

He and the club had no chance making finals when he left anyway
It was round 8 when he retired, two weeks later we were 5-5. Thats wasn't no chance of making finals.

Where do you get this about him being on the verge of being dropped? Was a crucial player in the mid.

We were sitting at 3-3 early in the season with losses to Freo (who finished 1st, by 7 points, away), Sydney (who finished 4th) and West Coast (who finished 2nd). After his retirement we lost two straight must win "all about kane" games to Brisbane & Richmond putting us at 3-5.

Regarding giving something a go, that's not how professional team sports work. If he wanted to give it a go then he had two options:
1. He should have sat down at the end of 2014 and told the club that he was going to be a fireman, and retired. The club would still have sent him off in style, and he could have tried it the next year.
2. He should have played out the 2015 season and then become a fireman in 2016.

He did neither of those things because he wanted 300 games.

For those of us who've missed what Kane has said about Wines Jonas and this whole captaincy fiasco let us know.
Also has he got into any of the KKK's. Genuinely interested.

Dumb call.

The issue isnt that he changed careers, it's that he bailed out of the football season for a career that he didn't stick with. It's an example of the individual being made more important than the group and that's another black mark against Hinkley. He missed an away game so that his 300th would be at home, then bailed out as soon as the record was reached. I can't think of anything less Port Adelaide than that.

The issue isnt that he changed careers, it's that he bailed out of the football season for a career that he didn't stick with. It's an example of the individual being made more important than the group and that's another black mark against Hinkley. He missed an away game so that his 300th would be at home, then bailed out as soon as the record was reached. I can't think of anything less Port Adelaide than that.
You know what's less Port Adelaide than that? the coaching staff that accommodated it.

My esteem for both Kane and Chad Corner as part of our first AFL flag has waned in recent times, as to me they are both beginning to reveal similar personality traits ( particularly Chadbro) to their arrogant flog of an old man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My esteem for both Kane and Chad Corner as part of our first AFL flag has waned in recent times, as to me they are both beginning to reveal similar personality traits ( particularly Chadbro) to their arrogant flog of an old man.
I'd rather a team full or arrogant flogs than a team full of "it's a tough competition and someone has to lose".

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep for me personally I couldn't ever get past their DNA. Both have had moments that fooled me but there has always been the thought

"did we draft them to wedge/STFU their old man". If so, me thinks weez was be'in too clever by half. Throw in the Norwood flogs and it seems

we've been hijacked. To top it off there's motor mouth Chairman Moi and Kenny 'you get what ya deserve' Hinks rounding it out all very nicely.

Sheesh are we even Port anymore? Friday arvo on aa crowey says that TJ is the right call, a good call then says "Bicks we've got texts

coming in and here's one "Port have now got a Norwood captain a Norwood CEO and a Norwood coach (Bassett)"

His reaction........hehehehe.

My mind wandered to Timmy G, Russell Ebert, George Fiacchi Johnny Cahill and all those who helped build the Port brand

that these freeloading MoFo's are using and abusing for their own ends.

Well thats a lot of historical revisionism.

Kane was actually playing pretty well, and actually had a good game in his final match. 28 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 6 tackles, 5 Inside 50s.

He wasn't anywhere near being dropped, and most of the questions after his retirement were about him leaving a big hole in Port's midfield.

It was round 8 when he retired, two weeks later we were 5-5. Thats wasn't no chance of making finals.
Kane Cornes wasn't going to get us into finals. He got the call , he was about to be dropped anyway, his final game he gave it his all obviously. Let it go.

Yep for me personally I couldn't ever get past their DNA. Both have had moments that fooled me but there has always been the thought

"did we draft them to wedge/STFU their old man". If so, me thinks weez was be'in too clever by half. Throw in the Norwood flogs and it seems

we've been hijacked. To top it off there's motor mouth Chairman Moi and Kenny 'you get what ya deserve' Hinks rounding it out all very nicely.

Sheesh are we even Port anymore? Friday arvo on aa crowey says that TJ is the right call, a good call then says "Bicks we've got texts

coming in and here's one "Port have now got a Norwood captain a Norwood CEO and a Norwood coach (Bassett)"

His reaction........hehehehe.

My mind wandered to Timmy G, Russell Ebert, George Fiacchi Johnny Cahill and all those who helped build the Port brand

that these freeloading MoFo's are using and abusing for their own ends.

Yes there was definitely a bit of to-ing and fro-ing by both clubs in the early days, the tingles drafted Scott Hodges twice, and I can still recall Choco saying after they drafted Johnny Stiffcock, that he was going to be our next pick, and I can recall something similar being said when they picked up Brian Beinke.

After pages and pages of co captains versus solo captain arguments it’s time to put it to bed except for the sacking of the cretin who first thought of it. Did that person wake up one morning and say to himself let’s run with this co captains idea in 2019 for “come hell or high water”.
It must be someone high up who was pretty sure of his position in the club.
If it was Kenny (as most posters say), it is just another reason for him to be shown the door at next season’s end.
Anyway, congratulations Tommy for being selected as captain which comes with the unique Port Adelaide honour of having number 1 on your back.
Commiserations Ollie, that cretin certainly set you up!

Last edited:
After pages and pages of co captains versus solo captain arguments it’s time to put it to bed except for the sacking of the cretin who first thought of it. Did that person wake up one morning and say to himself let’s run with this co captains idea in 2019 for “come hell or high water”.
It must be someone high up who was pretty sure of his position in the club.
If it was Kenny (as most posters say), it is just another reason for him to be shown the door at next season’s end. ...
Keith Thomas has said that it was Hinkley's idea and when Hinkley brought it to him he was a bit sceptical but Hinkley convinced him that we would win more games with co-captains than with a single captain, and presumably any number of vice-captains. KT therefore took it to the board to sign off on it.

Link
"Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas could have said “no” to coach Ken Hinkley’s call for a break in tradition with co-captains at Alberton.
Thomas could have argued that amid so much change at Port Adelaide recently — particularly with the continual erosion of the Magpies’ presence in the SANFL — the club needed to keep some traditions sacrosanct. ....In endorsing dual captains — Ollie Wines and Tom Jonas — Thomas (and by extension the Port Adelaide board of directors) has given total backing to Hinkley and his football program ...."

Link

Sack Hinkley!

Reverting back to one captain, wearing number 1 has always been one of the triggers that I thought could rejuvenate my enthusiasm for the club, in the absence of a change of coach. It didn't work.

I see Koch and I get angry. I hear him talk and I feel even worse. Same said for Hinkley. Same said for Jonas. Same said for Wines.

The sugar hit wasn't enough.

Dear PAFC, Hinkley out, Koch out, then get back to me.

Reverting back to one captain, wearing number 1 has always been one of the triggers that I thought could rejuvenate my enthusiasm for the club, in the absence of a change of coach. It didn't work.

I see Koch and I get angry. I hear him talk and I feel even worse. Same said for Hinkley. Same said for Jonas. Same said for Wines.

For me it's been a clear demonstration that the only real lever that supporters have over the club is to vote with their dollars.

If there was grumbling and discontent but membership renewals and club finances were tracking healthily, I doubt they would have reverted back.

Them saying that good clubs listen to their people is just lip service.

Koch and his BS spin elicit feelings of anger in me as well, as does kern with his at times semi literate gibberish, but as has been alluded to by others, the afore mentioned and his ginormous ego is the number one problem, and when he falls the other problem dominoes should collapse in his wake, and hopefully when it does eventually happen there will still be something of the real Port Adelaide left to resurrect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back