Recommitted Tom Mitchell [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

If he were to be traded, what would Hawthorn get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think 14 would be the starting point and then it is trying to workout what else is added on either side

Seems fair. Depends how many picks you want to use this year vs next. You don't have a third, so maybe 14 + 18 for Mitchell and a future second and something else? Dunno.

Not sure why Hawthorn would be willing to let him go for less, hypothetically they should be asking for whatever Neale gets.

Hypothetically sure, but I don't see anyone banging the door down with a top 10 pick let alone with change. Neale has one suitor who will likely have two top 10 picks. Mitchell currently has none but would appeal to a few contending teams. The odd thing in play is that a team like Freo wouldn't normally be trading for a 28 year old, but it's really come about because he wants to return to WA and is a former player. I doubt Hawthorn would give up pick 5 to get a 28 year old.

For mine Mtichell is a bit like Treloar to WB for Brisbane. They don't need him but he's a nice to have. If they end up with 3 firsts (they already have 2, 14 and 18) they have options to bring in a replacement for Neale or fix another area of need. If you offered them Gunston and Mitchell I'm sure all picks would be in play.

Get the feeling we aren't desperate to keep him but we will need something decent offered for him to be traded.

His last 6 weeks were getting close to his 2018 form
Again based on what though, legit the only rumours surrounding him have been that he would be open to a trade to a contender (Richmond was mentioned)

I have not heard of anything suggesting the club is shopping him.

Seems fair. Depends how many picks you want to use this year vs next. You don't have a third, so maybe 14 + 18 for Mitchell and a future second and something else? Dunno.

Hypothetically sure, but I don't see anyone banging the door down with a top 10 pick let alone with change. Neale has one suitor who will likely have two top 10 picks. Mitchell currently has none but would appeal to a few contending teams. The odd thing in play is that a team like Freo wouldn't normally be trading for a 28 year old, but it's really come about because he wants to return to WA and is a former player. I doubt Hawthorn would give up pick 5 to get a 28 year old.

For mine Mtichell is a bit like Treloar to WB for Brisbane. They don't need him but he's a nice to have. If they end up with 3 firsts (they already have 2, 14 and 18) they have options to bring in a replacement for Neale or fix another area of need. If you offered them Gunston and Mitchell I'm sure all picks would be in play.
Well sort of Neale has one suitor but so would Mitchell if he were to go to Brisbane...

They are the same age, similar style of players, both contracted. I see no reason for the Hawks to settle for less.

If Brisbane don't think Mitchell is a priority for them (fair enough) we keep him. If they chase him as a replacement for Neale we should be demanding pretty much the same package for him.

a second rounder for Tom Mitchell? ******* lol

He is worth a 1st rounder every day of the week. Maybe not a top 10 pick but very ******* close

a second rounder for Tom Mitchell? ******* lol

He is worth a 1st rounder every day of the week. Maybe not a top 10 pick but very ******* close
Worth every bit what Lachie Neale is..

Don't see why Mitchell would want to stay and get belted for the rest of his playing career, especially now without the Clarko appeal. Makes may more sense to leave and try and chase success before it's too late, and then in return give Hawthorn another pick to aid their 5 year rebuild. Even if he wasn't the same player he once was.

Worth around pick 14-18 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see why Mitchell would want to stay and get belted for the rest of his playing career, especially now without the Clarko appeal. Makes may more sense to leave and try and chase success before it's too late, and then in return give Hawthorn another pick to aid their 5 year rebuild. Even if he wasn't the same player he once was.

Worth around pick 14-18 IMO.
You say that like we're gonna turn into what Adelaide was last year or what Carlton was in 2018.

It's not going to happen like that and will be the opposite, don't see your view at all. Also as said before, he's worth what everyone would say Neale is worth.

In supercoach.
Titch had a miles better year, like country miles, length of the flemington straight better.

Titch was one of the best mids in the comp post bye and as i said was way better. Both have similar careers and have won brownlows. Basically the same age etc.

You say that like we're gonna turn into what Adelaide was last year or what Carlton was in 2018.

It's not going to happen like that and will be the opposite, don't see your view at all. Also as said before, he's worth what everyone would say Neale is worth.
It will be the opposite? Please explain.

Well money won't be an issue as the Hawks could chip in a fairly large chunk of the salary, it would just depend on if Richmond are looking to hit the Draft or not.

There will be an inverse relationship between what clubs will have to pay Mitchell and Neale, and what draft capital needs to be allocated

Because he has been nowhere near the same player as Neale in the last 24 months?...
Tom was a significantly better player this year...

Last year was his first year back from the leg break and played with a bung shoulder all year.

Why use a 24 month sample size? Why not 12 where Tom has been better. Or 4 year sample size which includes Tom's amazing Brownlow year? Or look at total career?

They are players of very similar ability and the same age and both contracted.

Because he has been nowhere near the same player as Neale in the last 24 months?...
I'm not disagreeing with where you rate either player, but just commenting regarding their last few years.

Just at a high level Neale has only out performed Mitchell in 2019 when Tom was out for the year with a broken leg and 2020 in his first year back from said injury.

Moving forward I'd predict they would play at a similar level so I don't mind the comparison that they are worth about the same personally.

Last edited:
Back