Top 8 hopes

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide's Top 2 Chance

tenor.gif

Quite feasible we even drop out of the 8 after todays performance. North, Hawks and the Crows are up the clacker of squeezing in, someone has to drop out.

Last edited:
6 games to go.

We have 11 wins and 116% (low).

13 wins will get us in the 8 i.e. 2 more wins

15 games will get us in the 4 i.e. 4 more wins

17 wins will get us in the top 2 i.e. 6 more wins

Still to play:

Giants (AO)
Bulldogs (Ballarat)
Crows (away game at AO)
Eagles (AO)
Pies (MCG)
Bombers (AO)

We don't deserve top 4. Today's game proved that nothing has changed and the players also know this. The players knowing this also fraks the team. They know they have no chance at the cup.

So many s**t teams can beat or challenge us it is becoming a joke.

And I'm not laughing like these players taking home the money.

We definitely need more run out of defence , sure we spoil well but don't get it out clean enough and have too many players in defence while going forward . . Also we've been too slow in attack with Thomas as a permanent forward , he's been good with his body positioning but not doing enough with the ball , we've had no one with the pace to run onto an over the top ball in an open forward line .
That's why I'd have Johnson in . And why I wouldn't bring Trengove back in as much as I'd like to .
What we would do for a Laird or Johanson in defence . Maybe try Irra one day . I didn't mind Barry although he's very outside.
Haven't seen enough of Farrell to really comment but could be worth a shot .
We'll need to settle the side soon and work on potency

6 games to go.

Still to play:

Giants (AO) loss by 40+
Bulldogs (Ballarat) 50/50 chance
Crows (away game at AO) loss by 30+
Eagles (AO) loss by 35+
Pies (MCG) loss by 25+
Bombers (AO) 60/40 chance )

Chance of 2 wins. Percentage too low to guarantee top 8 spot though.

6 games to go.

Still to play:

Giants (AO)
Bulldogs (Ballarat)
Crows (away game at AO)
Eagles (AO)
Pies (MCG)
Bombers (AO)

Probably win one or two max. We'll miss the 8. Scraping into the 8 would just be more wallpaper over cracks. This club could be in trouble for a while. This list is for the now and it clearly doesn't have what it takes nor do the muppets in control of it.

Our big problem is we have a game plan based on defence. It is great to limit the opposition to around ten goals a game as we have been doing BUT you have kick goals yourself. In the last eight games the highest score against us has been 75 points but we have only kicked 100+ points once.

Consistency wise our attack is virtually a one man band and yesterday when Robbie Gray went down we needed an alternative. We needed someone to step up and it simply didn't happen.

Unless we can find consistent alternatives to Robbie we are wasting our time in September. Something has to be done to get Jack Watts within scoring range when he has the ball. Watts is probably our most reliable shot at goal yet he is playing some sort of link man role rather than being on the end of kicks into our forward fifty. At the start of the year Sam Gray was providing a target and kicking goals but his input has fallen away over the past few weeks and neither Thomas, Neade or Johnson have provided enough consistent scoring alternatives.

If we want to make an impact in September there is a pressing need for Ken and whoever our forward line Coach is to work out a system up forward so that we can capitalise on our forward fifty entries. We had the chance to put the Freo game away in the first quarter but failed to capitalise. We no longer have the ability to switch a defender up forward where he kicks goals to win us games as much maligned backmen like Toby Thurstans and Michael Pettigrew did on several occasions. Maybe I am living in the past and maybe we do not have the personnel on or off the field to manage those moves? Either way unless we do something to capitalise on our inside fifty movement we are going nowhere.

As it stands we will probably finish fifth or sixth at the end of the minor round on the strength of our tight defence but we will struggle to go further.

Our problem is our coaches are delusional and not coaching to our advantage, we have more than enough talent. we all know that, but we are not suited to the game play they seem to want to play, we are not a high disposal chip kick defensive side. We don't have the disposal efficiency to do that. We should play like we did in 2014 (when we looked like the nest big thing) and model parts of Richmond game, we should be a fast attacking high pressure team, get the ball and move it forward keep it forward and score. When we stop with the defensive crap and start attacking is when we look at our best.

Yes their Disposal is atrocious, but we have players like Lienert being given a chance and Trengove who was dropped for what ever reason. They can come in and make us a better kicking side. We have enough cattle to win the Flag, the biggest thing in our way is in the coaching box. People love to blame Basset, but our back 6 have won us more games then the rest of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had the opportunity we haven’t had in Years yesterday staring us in the face and we choked again. We will finish out of the top four and bundle ourselves out in the first final.

Ken gets pat on the back

I see a 2007 aspect to this. I feel we are above where we probably should be on the table. Like 2007 we have been winning but not winning well and for once our draw is not bad. I hope I am wrong but if we make it to the four I cannot see us beating Richmond on the MCG or West Coast at Optus. Both Richmond and West Coast will have too many scoring alternatives up forward while we are a one man band with the occasional cameo in support.

Last year we finished about where we should have. We recruited to improve our position on the ladder, to at least give as a shot at a prelim. We now are a bees dick from doing either. Some players have gone backwards , particularly in recent games. Polec is a liability anywhere near the oppos goals. Ebert should have nailed that goal in time on, he has played a bit yeah? We look like a team of plodders.

We play this incredibly sour defensive brand of footy. We are he second best defensive team in the league. I agree with a lot of the sentiments here, but I think we will always be in games off the back of this defensive based game plan. It is also the reason why we rarely blow teams away

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We play this incredibly sour defensive brand of footy. We are he second best defensive team in the league. I agree with a lot of the sentiments here, but I think we will always be in games off the back of this defensive based game plan. It is also the reason why we rarely blow teams away

Yes I agree and I also believe we should have won yesterday. Our ball use way worse than Abysmal which gave Freeo a look in. It must have been tough wind conditions, it reminded me of a blustery MCG game, where players are unfamiliar, after awhile we just got plain nervous.

If we hit up those 25 metre targets we would of carved them.

I still believe the umpires didn't help us one bit either, two sets of rule books, they allowed our players to get mugged, didn't protect our players body, Robbie Gray tackle didn't even produce a 50! I mean come on... If I was paranoid I'd suggest the AFL didn't want both West Coast breaking away from the Vic sides in the top 4 and top 8.

As I said elsewhere, GWS wont even look at this game in the pre game strategy I'm sure.

Top 8 hopes.

Forget top 4, it's gone. As I've said multiple times, our run home is very tough and after choking in Perth, our focus now must just be on trying to make the 8.
No it isn't. We have it in our hands, win this week albeit it will be tough playing the way we do against the Giants, but we still have the opportunity to beat both West Coast and Collingwood coming up, win the Showdown and it's up to us. We have been cruising the last few weeks and a result like yesterday had been brewing. But losing Robbie and Paddy severely limited us, admittedly we were putrid with them out there but we couldn't get any rotations into our guys and the game fell into Freo's lap.

Going forward it's still in our hands to make the top 4, and there will be upsets on the run home, the season has been full of them. Plenty of twists and turns to come. We lose this week then we are up against it, but top 4 isn't gone yet. I'd back us against anyone at our best.

No it isn't. We have it in our hands, win this week albeit it will be tough playing the way we do against the Giants, but we still have the opportunity to beat both West Coast and Collingwood coming up, win the Showdown and it's up to us. We have been cruising the last few weeks and a result like yesterday had been brewing. But losing Robbie and Paddy severely limited us, admittedly we were putrid with them out there but we couldn't get any rotations into our guys and the game fell into Freo's lap.

Going forward it's still in our hands to make the top 4, and there will be upsets on the run home, the season has been full of them. Plenty of twists and turns to come. We lose this week then we are up against it, but top 4 isn't gone yet. I'd back us against anyone at our best.

What makes you think we are even a chance against gws and Collingwood?

What makes you think we are even a chance against gws and Collingwood?
Did anyone watch Collingwood yesterday? They fell over at home against quality opposition. They are no better then us. Nor are the Giants. Bring them on I say rather then worrying about them.

You can have the best defence in the competition, but when (in the space of a fortnight) you have scoreless quarters against Carlton AND Fremantle, you've got a huge problem. If we can't score against the minnows of the competition, imagine how much we'll struggle against the big boys if nothing changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back