Review Round 8, 2023 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Replay the Kossie/Bailey Smith hit 10 times and Bailey will get concussed 9 times out of 10. Kossie just got lucky.

Replay the Rioli/Ridley hit 10 times and Ridley will be fine 9 times out of 10. Rioli just got unlucky.

This sort of s**t will keep happening as long as the MRO rules on outcome rather than intent. Ironically Rioli laid a hit on Matt Rowell last year that made what he did to Ridley look like a tea party, but Rowell got up and was fine, so Rioli only got a week.
Ridley would be fine 999 times in 1000. It's incredible that small touch has got him, but that's luck of the draw I guess.

"Brad Ebert opened up like a packet of potato chips!"

It's the same sentiment.
Is that when Sloane hit Ebert with a closed fist in the face causing him to bleed? That was a completely different circumstance, more forceful and questionable if it was intentional or not and nevertheless Sloane only got one week for that.

Rioli's was clearly unintentional and barely would've opened a packet of chips.

Another close arm wrestle where the midfield has issues and they tighten up a bit and play hard and come back for the victory.
If we kick better, we win by 5 goals.
If Teakle is replaced by a AFL standard ruck, we win by 8 to 10 goals.
By the way, we won the free kick count - 16 to 12. Party time.

We still don't have great kicking skills and we still do stupid things but overall the structures and clearance work especially from stoppages and F50 give us a real heads up on play.
The midfield just keeps on keeping on.
The boys don't ever drop their heads when we are down.
We don't seem to give out big leads. Credit to the lads.

Butters - in amongst everything. The race down the wing was awesome. Inside, outside, tackling, double efforts, triple efforts, setting up goals. The only worry I have for him is that he plays too hard for a guy who is a bit smaller than most but that is just the way he is and what makes him great.
Rozee - an inconspicuous 29 possies and kicking a goal at the end of the game to ice it. Great to see him get crunched and play on manfully for the rest of the game. Really inspirational.
Horne-Francis - another inconspicuous game in the midfield but kept it going.
Boak - played pretty well for an old guy
Drew - never doing the out and out special but was held up and was very good late when the game was on the line
Wines - seemed to be down, falling over, etc
Bonner - not bad on the wing. Nice to see him go inside when needed.
Houston - played his typical good game. Had a 3rd up spoil but didn't kill the ball resulted in a goal. But overall good and running hard forward.
Teakle - not a great game by any standard. We were killed in CC in the first quarter and beyond. The coaches tried to never put him against Draper for the rest of the game. We seriously need a ruck going forward. I'm a bit worried because Carr last week said his ruck work was good. I know you gee up your own players but he was humiliated this week.

Bergman - contested mark king. Excellent defence. It is just nice to see a defender of ours who is confident and can mark the ball, not double fist. He complements Aliir well. There was one time he didn't nullify a 3rd up as well.
Williams - very good overall, calm with the ball, does fall over occasionally, could be harder at the contest sometimes. Very good game.
Aliir - pretty good game.
McKenzie - beaten on the lead many times by younger, faster forwards, Langford and Weideman. I worry when he plays on young, fast guys or rally good forwards. I will say that the midfield didn't help his cause because the balls were on a platter.
Jonas - old and injured
Burton - pretty good. He seems a bit down from last year's form but still good. Maybe a bit loose overall.

Dixon - playing on one leg and taking names. What a true warrior. His kicking for goal is pretty good too this year.
Finlayson - kicked inaccurately all game but played so well in the last quarter. Good in the ruck.
Rioli - seems to be opening out the lungs and running a bit more. I can really see him winning us a game or two in the finals if he plays ultra hard. He just has a bit of magic that none of our other forwards seem to produce. In and amongst it all.
Powell-Pepper - uncharacteristically quiet but still bobbed up. He must have felt frustrated with that game. I think Redman was on him.
Marshall - needs to lead more. Good enough game. Finds it hard to take a contested mark. Should be playing like Nick Riewoldt. Just lead and mifielders find him any time.
McEntee - played not bad. Great snap. I think it would be best to find a real forward but he's keeping his spot and seemed to do a fair bit this week.
Byrne-Jones - good half forward game. A couple of goals.
Evans - did his part late in the game. Will be interesting to see how he plays a full game with Rioli more than likely out. Time to show out.

Another solid game by the lads against a pretty good team
I hope we kane the Kangaroos this week.

Last edited:
this-shot-of-jurassic-park-1993-directly-foreshadows-v0-tn8q9zqy4lja1.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A concussion, so yes.
Who’s to say that caused the concussion and not a hit prior. It’s appears to be minimal contact from Rioli and unlikely to have been strong enough to be the single cause of a concussion.

If force isn’t a factor then why wasn’t Todd sighted for the McCartin concussion?

The rioli thing is perplexing. At first, when watching the pixelated video at the ground I thought he's clobbered him with him hip/butt and thought, alright, we'll see you in July.

Then you see its just a slap in the face and I thought, well, if he's got a suspected broken jaw from it then he's still going to get a lot of weeks, even though I can't see how you could possibly get a broken jaw from that.

But now that its just concussion, I don't know where we go. It will be 2 weeks as he got subbed out. But no idea how you get a concussion from that. Didn't look forceful at all. I reckon my kids have hit me in the face harder than that 100 times when mucking around.

Is Dermott Brereton Essendon's number one ticket holder these days? He barracked for them like he is!!!
I was at the game so only heard Dermott when watching the replay. I lost count of how many times I said 'shut up Dermott'. Drove me nuts, always does.

The rioli thing is perplexing. At first, when watching the pixelated video at the ground I thought he's clobbered him with him hip/butt and thought, alright, we'll see you in July.

Then you see its just a slap in the face and I thought, well, if he's got a suspected broken jaw from it then he's still going to get a lot of weeks, even though I can't see how you could possibly get a broken jaw from that.

But now that its just concussion, I don't know where we go. It will be 2 weeks as he got subbed out. But no idea how you get a concussion from that. Didn't look forceful at all. I reckon my kids have hit me in the face harder than that 100 times when mucking around.

Someone posted the video of his impact when he hits the ground. Clearly lands chin first with a jolt. Surely that has to be taken into consideration.

Agree. Guys that go down that easily should be forced to take the field with a large warning sign on their jumper:

GLASS JAW. DO NOT TOUCH.

It's the only fair thing to do in the current suspension climate.

Just rewatched the replay. The clear biased barracking for Essendon by the commentators is just pathetic.

Why were derm, Healy and that other knobber so one eyed towards the dons? I have no clue..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back