Review Round 8, 2023 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like it possibly was his leading elbow, i.e. left arm, that maybe catches his chin on the way through. But if it did enough to cause concussion, surely the impact would have had to move his head. But Ridley doesn't move an inch until a few seconds later.

Whatever happened, there's clearly a large element of staging from Ridley in this one.
yep no doubt he put some mayo on it.

I'm not convinced it isn't staging and he deliberately flunked the concussion test. Seems harsh to say but it looks so dumb.
I'm going to get all conspiracy theorist here: but coaches often won't talk about these incidents on game day, yet Scott did the half time interview and immediately and decisively said that it wasn't a broken chin, and was concussion. Maybe they realised it was staged and it was just convenient to sub him off as he had some other underlying injury he's been playing through.

yep no doubt he put some mayo on it.
College Football Win GIF by SEC Network

Just a tad more than this...

He's getting a couple for sure. The player was subbed out and Rioli left the ground and tucked his elbow in, was always doing something he shouldn't have. Didn't notice at the ground though.

Can't see how he gets out of it.

Also, ball nowhere near him.

View attachment 1681719

Carn

Watch it again

I just don't see any contact other than a slap to the chest / shoulder

He's getting a couple for sure. The player was subbed out and Rioli left the ground and tucked his elbow in, was always doing something he shouldn't have. Didn't notice at the ground though.

Can't see how he gets out of it.

Also, ball nowhere near him.

View attachment 1681719
Oh he's definitely getting weeks - but it's because it's Port and they need to set an example, not because he did something wrong.

Ridley doesn't flinch at all when Rioli flies past. If Rioli hit him hard enough to give him concussion you'd see some sort of movement from Ridley in that clip before he goes sprawling like he'd been shot.

Oh he's definitely getting weeks - but it's because it's Port and they need to set an example, not because he did something wrong.

Ridley doesn't flinch at all when Rioli flies past. If Rioli hit him hard enough to give him concussion you'd see some sort of movement from Ridley in that clip before he goes sprawling like he'd been shot.

Actually it's the hand that hits hom, accidental - can't suspend a bloke for that can you?

Just realized his should doesn't clip him at all, so can the AFL suspend on something they don't like more than the actual action?

Jon Ralph reporting today Rioli is likely to go straight to the tribunal with a possible minimum 3 week suspension forthcoming.

This is absurd. Of all the suspensions seen this year, this would be by far the most innocuous.

Its pretty much a high shepherd that caught him in the wrong spot, most likely across the chin and the impact richoched up the jawbone to Ridleys Left jaw, which he is seen complaining about on the bench.

It should have been a free kick. How 4 umpires missed that is beyond me. Questionable if its reportable given accidental eye gauges get off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy s**t, if he cops 3 weeks for that. Some should remember it's a contact sport, these things happen.

Its pretty much a high shepherd that caught him in the wrong spot, most likely across the chin and the impact richoched up the jawbone to Ridleys Left jaw, which he is seen complaining about on the bench.

It should have been a free kick. How 4 umpires missed that is beyond me. Questionable if its reportable given accidental eye gauges get off.

The 4 umpire sis hilarious. I watched Nichols just looking to find a free in the other direction whilst missing Marshall being scragged all day...

Would of thought this should of got 25 weeks then....

Difference is Riolo is knowehere near the ball and although his shoulder never hit him it's not a 'good look'.

Kosi should always have been a conversation around 5-7 weeks. That was a ridiculously bad mistake.

I'm fine with Rioli getting 3. Concuss someone off the ball and you're taking a holiday, even if its accidental and non-malicious which it clearly was. I think 1 is best case, 4 is worst case. Will likely sit at 2 or 3 and we just get on with it.

Not that it means much, but I just asked two fairly passionate football mates, one Dons supporter, one neutral:
Essendon fan - 3 weeks
Neutral - 4 weeks

Sitting 5th on the ladder after 8 rounds. On percentage we sit 9th. Playing North Melbourne on Saturday should result in a good percentage boost, particularly if our forwards are more accurate.

3-4 weeks or more, is this actually serious? Innocuous is understatement.

How on earth do you even get concussed from that. It's up there with a Paddy McCartin type concussion, where a wet lettuce leaf in the right spot could do some damage.

3-4 weeks or more, is this actually serious? Innocuous is understatement.

How on earth do you even get concussed from that. It's up there with a Paddy McCartin type concussion, where a wet lettuce leaf in the right spot could do some damage.
"Brad Ebert opened up like a packet of potato chips!"

It's the same sentiment.

Looks like it possibly was his leading elbow, i.e. left arm, that maybe catches his chin on the way through. But if it did enough to cause concussion, surely the impact would have had to move his head. But Ridley doesn't move an inch until a few seconds later.

Whatever happened, there's clearly a large element of staging from Ridley in this one.

Rioli looks away after moving to block, lifts off slightly, arm horizontal, contact made. A nanosecond of distant front-on footage (the one with the Derm commentary) blurs arm movement enough for a very biased observer to call it an elbow but doesn't show a point of impact clearly at all.

Closer and much longer footage from behind looks more clearly like a straight arm and some part of Rioli's lower arm or hand making glancing contact at shoulder height. Ridley's head doesn't snap like a solid impact from anything. A solid second or more passes and he shows a reaction, goes over, then at that point you see his head bouncing/bobbling up and down like someone who has hit something.

I expect Rioli will wear the blame here and get 1-2 not because "proof" but because he left the ground to block Ridley from contesting a mark, made at least glancing high-ish contact and then something bad happened. Minus that contact it's not even an entry in the "blocking" free kick lottery, is it? Whether it gets labelled "off the ball" will come down to any desire to construct an appeal-proof penalty. At least the media frenzy isn't like the Rowell incident last year. "Port tax" and MRP PTSD sure, but will be pleasantly amazed if this one gets thrown out.

(I get the Teakle pile-on but as I have said previously he's in a no-win situation. He's just not been prepared in any way to be a lead ruck in an AFL side. As El_Scorcho stated above, he's the victim of a messed up ruck situation at Port.)

You're 100% right, it isn't Teakles fault. Our coaches have made this mess and continue to propagate it by playing someone that shouldn't be out there.

It's not even a high shepherd, it's an accidental flailing arm that's collected. This happens all the time. This one just appears to have been insanely unlucky and actually has caused some damage. Right spot, right angle, right time, something like that.

I find it hard to believe at the tribunal that they won't realise that and downgrade it.

Would of thought this should of got 25 weeks then....

Difference is Riolo is knowehere near the ball and although his shoulder never hit him it's not a 'good look'.

It's hard to comprehend an accidental flailing arm could get more than this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back