Review Round 8, 2023 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Just rewatched the replay. The clear biased barracking for Essendon by the commentators is just pathetic.

Why were derm, Healy and that other knobber so one eyed towards the dons? I have no clue..
I reckon a viewer new to the sport would be hard pressed to name the team in the black and white after watching that. It really is about time we spoke up about it, and it's every week.

I watched the game in silence, as is the norm, but listened to commentary on the replay to see if the comments on the GD thread were accurate. They were.

Just rewatched the replay. The clear biased barracking for Essendon by the commentators is just pathetic.

Why were derm, Healy and that other knobber so one eyed towards the dons? I have no clue..

The bouts of silence when Port goaled or won a contest were hilarious.
You could almost hear them stamping their feet like toddlers.

The bouts of silence when Port goaled or won a contest were hilarious.
You could almost hear them stamping their feet like toddlers.

When DERMOTT BRERETON is Team Essendon, the Men versus Orcs paradigm of the wider footy media could probably do with a retool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teakle was nowhere near as bad as i was expecting watching the first half.
Yeah he wasn't great on follow up after contesting in the ruck. Think it was in the first quarter where he jumped then just stood flat footed while Draper hit the ground running, got clear and set up a quick clearance goal.

Having said that, Finlayson was struggling to win HOs, so he went side on in one centre bounce which allowed Draper the avenue to pluck the ball out of the ruck and run straight on. If it wasn't for the Butters tackle, would likely have been a Dons goal from that.

End of the day, Teakle actually ran back hard into defence, took a good mark back there, and nearly took a few more. If he had just taken those 3 or 4 marks which he spilled he would have had a reasonably good impact.

I'm going to get all conspiracy theorist here: but coaches often won't talk about these incidents on game day, yet Scott did the half time interview and immediately and decisively said that it wasn't a broken chin, and was concussion. Maybe they realised it was staged and it was just convenient to sub him off as he had some other underlying injury he's been playing through.
  • Rioli tried to bump but he missed him.
  • Running past he flicks out a back hander, clipping the player
  • Who played for a free; but alas, hit his head when he dived to the ground

Yeah he wasn't great on follow up after contesting in the ruck. Think it was in the first quarter where he jumped then just stood flat footed while Draper hit the ground running, got clear and set up a quick clearance goal.

Having said that, Finlayson was struggling to win HOs, so he went side on in one centre bounce which allowed Draper the avenue to pluck the ball out of the ruck and run straight on. If it wasn't for the Butters tackle, would likely have been a Dons goal from that.

End of the day, Teakle actually ran back hard into defence, took a good mark back there, and nearly took a few more. If he had just taken those 3 or 4 marks which he spilled he would have had a reasonably good impact.

Teakle got the ball to our mids 3 times in those centre clearances and the mids either overran it, or havdballed it to a bomber. The other times our mids were completely flat footed whilst theirs moved and won it accordingly. I think hes worth perservering with.

Yea I'd persist with Teakle for now it's not the time to throw Dante to the wolves. Hayes will never play again unfortunately so no point debating it.

I have a Kane Cornes type of take.
You might agree or you might get your pitchforks.

The Bombers went through McKenzie's opponent to get to goal, especially on the lead.

Usually it is Jonas but he had the curvy McDonald-Tipungwuti on him.

Yea I'd persist with Teakle for now it's not the time to throw Dante to the wolves. Hayes will never play again unfortunately so no point debating it.
There is nothing we can do but play Teakle or blood Dante early.

The coaching staff is aiming for wins so Teakle it is.

The MSD is on May 30th. Should be an interesting watch.

I had a quick look over my notes from the game for 1st Quarter Centre Clearances.
They are not perfect. If you want to have a go, have a go.
I just rush and write stuff that sticks out.
I am hoping everyone gets the gist of the 1stQ CC.
Looks like I am missing one.

1. Stringer
2. Ess
3. Neutral
4. Stringer
5. Ess
6. Ess
7. Ess
8. Ess - Hobbs Goal
9. Port - lucky - I think a handball was missed by Ess but unsure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back