List Mgmt. Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition V - TRADE SUMMARY IN OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where Townsend fits now. He was tried as a mid when our midfield was worse and failed. Now our forward line is going to be different.

Suspect the clubs opinions are divided with a wait and see approach.

Will have to reinvent himself again if he stays on the list but can see mostly VFL. Too many other youngsters in VFL that need games into them.

So now we’re talking about depth. This isn’t directed at you mate but this whole trade period we’ve got muppets complaining about trading our depth who were not contracted and now we’ve kept one and now we don’t know what to do with him.

Townsend has been a role player for us for the last couple years. He’ll continue to be one. Jack might even be rested a couple games next season and fingers crossed there’s no injuries to Jack or Lynch or anywhere else for that matter. But Townsend knows that when he does get picked he’ll have a role to play

Last edited:
I'm not sure where Townsend fits now. He was tried as a mid when our midfield was worse and failed. Now our forward line is going to be different.

Will have to reinvent himself again if he stays on the list but can see mostly VFL. Too many other youngsters in VFL that need games into them.
The fact both GC and StKilda (The two worst lists in the comp now) knocked him back must be a blow but it may have been his injury. I see him staying forward on a one year contract

Likely Towner will get delisted but also a chance he will get offered a rookie spot.

Maurice junior friends.

Two Riolis in the forward line while Lynch tries to take a speccy,salivating.

Bank those picks Richmond because every hyena and vulture will be coming for him.

Nah. Real reason we got lynch was so Maurice Jnr could use him as a step ladder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope he stays. Want him to be around to crunch some Pies, Demons, & Eagles

With North, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane not having first rounders they will have to bid with latter picks. Reckon our 37 moves to 36,35 at most picks, but our 64 could become a 57. I assume in this scenario the points value increase too? Or does 57 still have the same points as 64?
Live trading could be a doozy if the points increase, maybe package 37 and 64 (with the knowledge it will be in the high 50s) to get a low 30 pick?

Alright, so now that the trade/free agency period has concluded, I am going to give my thoughts on it. I feel like it mirrored our season - started off very dominant but then trailed off. In the end, we did very well, but at the same time not well enough just like our season.

There is still a big question mark on our midfield/ruck set-up. We really don't have an obvious player in the reserves that we know is either ready to step up or is experienced enough to cover injuries. If Cotchin, Nankervis or Martin go down/are not 100%, then I do not see even a solid replacement on our entire list, which is what we had when we had players like Conca, Miles, Lloyd or even CEllis on our list. They would be able to step in and at least do a decent job. If they were moved on because they did not do a decent job, then what we are left with is worse now, and let's be honest, a bunch of 18 year olds are more likely to not make an impact than make an impact in their first year if they are not a top 5 pick - especially in the midfield.

Having said that, the off-season is not done. We could be strategising to bring through some solid state league midfielders like a Tim Kelly type or maybe even state league ruckman that could solve our issue through the draft, so all is not done and dusted. We need to get someone ready to make an impact next year in these two problem areas. If we do not, then I fear that we will slip to become a 5-8 side even if we have Lynch because I think having a solid midfield/ruck depth is imperative to AFL success. You need to have a revolving door happening in these areas where ins and outs are not noticed because of the depth, and I believe we do not have that happening with our current list.

We’ll miss him if Lynch or Riewoldt go down with injury. He’s still better than Moore as a forward.

I love what Nank brings to our side but if we had a genuine gun ruckman we would not be playing Grigg in the ruck and we'd be pretty much unstoppable.
I haven't bothered to catchup yet, so if someone's already said this I haven't seen it yet...but it's the lack of a genuine second ruckman that's the problem, not Nank. Nank's just fine.

I haven't bothered to catchup yet, so if someone's already said this I haven't seen it yet...but it's the lack of a genuine second ruckman that's the problem, not Nank. Nank's just fine.

Should look at Zac Clarke as a late pick in the draft. Give him 2 years. Helps cover Nank and allows CCJ and Soldo to continue deceloping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is stoopid. What did he do?

Yes, and that's exactly what we should be doing. Next year's first and pick 37 for 24 and 29 from GC.

With our current picks, I reckon we'd have to use pick 17. He's one I can see rising up the rankings.

Guys in the Fox Footy studio crossed to him and Ralphy at Marvel. He's bent over staring into a monitor or something saying "they're not crossing they're not crossing" then he totally walks off leaving Ralphy on his own and the guys in the studio trying to talk to Ralphy whilst they're all pissing themselves. He enters stage left a bit later all in a flap and tries to resume control.

Would have liked us to nab someone (anyone) else in the 21-25 age bracket for a bit of depth. Basically all of our 23-28th best players have just left so I hope we can have another good run with injury
But did we? It's in the eye of the beholder.

Our 23rd - 28th players haven't been lost, they've just changed.

2018:
Miles, Cellis, Conca, Lloyd, Stengle

2019:
Bolton, Menadue, Markov, Balta, Garthwaite

And that's before I've even considered who we've drafted.

Our "depth" players now have a lot of upside compared to last year who had all maxed their potential.

Should look at Zac Clarke as a late pick in the draft. Give him 2 years. Helps cover Nank and allows CCJ and Soldo to continue deceloping.
Couldn't hurt. Wouldn't cost us much either. Unless they think Chol can do it? Can't see it myself.

We’ll miss him if Lynch or Riewoldt go down with injury. He’s still better than Moore as a forward.

Very difficult to use that argument when he was available all year and we just had Jack and no Lynch and he was hardly played.

If there is an injury they are likely to turn elsewhere as they did this year.

Unfortunately Towno is a bit too limited. His best chance is to reinvent himself as a mid and add a few strings to his bow. Just being an aggressive tackler just won't cut it.

So we've got a decent, but not great draft position. We've got that other top tier KPF we've wanted. But we've lost of depth in the VFL.

And other clubs have gone berserk and traded players and picks like crazy. Which leaves our main competitors roughly about where they were. Pies stronger midfield, but no better elsewhere. WC same same, Sydney same same, GWS lost top end depth, Hawks injured/disinterested guys in, whatever.

Might be some genius in there. But seems to me the big movement has been in the lower half of the AFL. Some transformations in teams down there. Interesting next year to see how it goes.

For us, we should be stronger next year. But injuries are a worry. Young players should get better and we don't have any major issues with older players.

Summary: We've improved ourselves structurally, but have lost depth. Glass half full, glass half empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back