List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a reason Rendell is sitting in the Crocmedia studios talking crap about trades while talented list managers are busy sorting through potential list moves and draft informantion.
Got it in one RT.

His quote today about Hogan was "It's looking like it's going to be a fait accompli" (to gws) lol

It is either a fait accompli or it isn't Matt...it's not "going to be"...

Making wild guesses and stoking any rumour he hears.

is he a saints fan? looks like it was written by a stkilda bigfooty poster who wants to trade all their offcuts for starts but its worth it because they get more players
Well, St.Kilda are working on a deal for Crouch and possibly Higgins. We have been flagged as having an interest in Hogan. Crows want Hately and Freo want to lose Hogan.

TBF I think it's quite within the realms of possibility.

Why are we shopping Higgins? There's been multiple answers in this thread and I think that this scenario might be one of the reasons.

Not worried about Higgins leaving. The likes of Stack, CCJ, RCD, Dow and Ross all have just as much potential if not more and yet those guys are probably still behind Soldo, Caddy and Markov when it comes to getting into the 22. While in the position Higgins plays we have plenty of options with MRJ also coming on board who I suspect will be only player capable of removing his cousin (the golden child) for a spot in the 22 eventually.

As for Higgins its clear there are midfield options that are far better than him and I think any club who wants him for his midfield work will be left disappointed but as forward who spends time running through the midfield he will eventually become a very good player and someone capable of averaging 20 disposals and 1.0-1.5 a game. He does his best work inside the 50 and looks most damaging there. The area that he lets himself down with is his ball use and in particular his ball use inside 50 which is the reason he lost his spot the past two seasons. I suspect with more game time he will eventually correct this part of his game. The other reason for losing his spot is he gets in the road too often, on one hand he is good enough to be getting in the positions he finds himself but on the other he is getting in the road of vastly superior players like Martin at a lesser club this become less of an issue. He is guilty of thinking he is still playing underage football when he is the main man and also guilty of thinking he has more time when in possession that he actually does i.e he looks better in tight than he does when in space.

What isn't an issue for Higgins that people seem to think is, is he running ability and pressure. He may not be as quick as some of our other smalls but he makes up for it by running harder for longer. While I would back him over most of our players to bounce to his feet after one contest and be able to impact another contest, he is a bit of cat in situations like that and stems from his hunger around goals which can be good and bad.

The main reason Im not worried about Higgins leaving though is the ball is in our court, he is contracted and we rate him highly. He might have been dropped twice the last seasons but it took quite a while for our selection committee to pull the trigger which I rate his potential but I was regularly calling for his head due to better options and team balance. Which both times he was dropped he never really had a chance to get back into the team with the head injury last year and hammy/calf issues and lack of proper match practice this year. Unlike last year with Butler we have zero reasons to be the nice guys and help Higgins get to the Saints, I don't expect us to be campaigners but we will expect that we are adequately compensated and I dare say we will want their first pick in a straight swap given 15 could be pushed back to 18-20 come draft day. Which whatever the club ask for I would expect the opposing club to happily pay, we have a good reputation and just cause someone isn't getting a game doesn't mean they aren't worth a fair trade. Butler and Ellis both finished top 5 in their new clubs bnf's this year and Higgins is just as likely to make the same impact and potentially greater.

I don't get the love for Markov. Broad again showed his worth in the finals and grand final.

Markov is not close to the same level of player. Broad must be prioritized especially with Astbury looking cooked.
I don't think Astbury is cooked, however, probably just a year or 2 max left. Broad should be a priority over Markov. Markov has never shown the same ability as Broad. As for Markov, I'd be happy for us to keep or trade him.

I reckon the Hogan noise is more a case of his management shopping him to us, they would see us as the best fit for him to salvage his career and more importantly his life. I’m not against taking him on a 1 year deal with triggers but I don’t think it should be part of the Higgins deal. Freo would take a 3rd round pick for him.

I reckon the Hogan noise is more a case of his management shopping him to us, they would see us as the best fit for him to salvage his career and more importantly his life. I’m not against taking him on a 1 year deal with triggers but I don’t think it should be part of the Higgins deal. Freo would take a 3rd round pick for him.

Too bad he is still contracted otherwise we could have used the supplemental list. Have him do what Stack did. Come to the club for 3 months, train, show he is committed and can buy in and then if it goes well, list him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Higgo thinks he's a midfielder.

He is well down that order at our club.

I could see him as a dedicated Fwd pocket - but his midfield use would be well behind Jack Ross, RCD, even Caddy et al .... so it's all for the best.

Good player though, but like Butler he goes with no ill feeling and best wishes.

We'll always have "that" goal!!

Stk for sure, decent contract in front of him to i believe.

Hogan , given he only has one year left on his deal at Freo, and they are prepared to pay some of it, is basically taking a above average player, with known challenges, for the cost of an average/below average wage.... Cost benefit analysis on this one...

I personally think it's a no brainer for us PROVIDED we think we can keep him on track. IMO Jack is very small chance of playing every game next year, and Chol has already proven he can be Banana 1 or 2 in the forward line.

I would see something like

Rioli Hogan Bolton
Martin Lynch Castagna

Constable is the worst trainer at Geelong is what I've been told.

Two ways of looking at this. 1 he is always going to be lazy and never for-fill his potential or 2. the penny will drop and he will improve considerably ala McGovern.

Personally don't see the need with Ross and RCD being similar types and ready to break out.

Well, St.Kilda are working on a deal for Crouch and possibly Higgins. We have been flagged as having an interest in Hogan. Crows want Hately and Freo want to lose Hogan.

TBF I think it's quite within the realms of possibility.

Why are we shopping Higgins? There's been multiple answers in this thread and I think that this scenario might be one of the reasons.
more about what he thinks each club is giving up and giving. adelaide wont be happy with a dud and ok young kid for crouch (the picks are a wash), gws wont be happy with a maybe 10 pick upgrade for hateley, and the only reason wed be happy with hogan for higgins would be to get higgins where he wants as hogan is a huge risk.

Two ways of looking at this. 1 he is always going to be lazy and never for-fill his potential or 2. the penny will drop and he will improve considerably ala McGovern.

Personally don't see the need with Ross and RCD being similar types and ready to break out.

Constable is a little different in that he is pure bash and crash. RCD is more seen as an extractor. Ross is an accumulator. All 3 have different styles. I do feel that there is a place for Constable. Would certainly help out Prestia and Cotch at the coalface.

Too bad he is still contracted otherwise we could have used the supplemental list. Have him do what Stack did. Come to the club for 3 months, train, show he is committed and can buy in and then if it goes well, list him.
Stack great example. Could show commitment and talent for a period, gets signed up and then back to being mentally loose.

Constable is a little different in that he is pure bash and crash. RCD is more seen as an extractor. Ross is an accumulator. All 3 have different styles. I do feel that there is a place for Constable. Would certainly help out Prestia and Cotch at the coalface.

Ross is about as bash and crash as it gets. Was a 94kg wrecking ball last season.

Its hard enough finding a spot in the 22 for RCD and Ross let alone adding Constable to the mix. I did like him as a player in his draft year and can't say I've really followed him since but I don't see the point in getting him the talent we have waiting in the wings.

Ross is about as bash and crash as it gets. Was a 94kg wrecking ball last season.

Its hard enough finding a spot in the 22 for RCD and Ross let alone adding Constable to the mix. I did like him as a player in his draft year and can't say I've really followed him since but I don't see the point in getting him the talent we have waiting in the wings.

WAS a bash and crash. Isn't any more. Club slimmed him down to try and increase his running capacity and played him as a flanker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back