List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't back this sentiment as we got smashed with a fit squad at the start of the year and then we had injuries that showed our crazy good depth of 2019 and 2020 to be not that great.

in my opinon i think Hardwick rolling the dice again next year thinking we have the squad to take on the Demons, Dogs, Swans ect is folly. BUT he is the tripple premiership coach and we have to back him.

I dont want to be Geelong or Hawks and be there abouts only for the rebuild to way way longer

Round 1 we lost Vlastuin
Round 3 we lost cotchin, Prestia and mcintosh
Round 6 we lost lambert and dusty
Round 8 we lost edwards and mid week we lost Bolton.

We got smashed by swans while being 3 down on the bench, unlucky not to beat port in round 4 in Adelaide, then smashed by Dees without our midfield and losing our best player and another midfielder Mid game.

We were unlucky not to be 5-2 heading into round 8 still (after destroying the dogs sans Dusty,

We also usually start poorly (2019 & 2020 being prime examples smashed by pies, GWS, hawks, Saints, dogs in both those years early).

We came off a shortened preseason had the most 6 day break games, we’re mentally exhausted after 4 years of finals football with the bonus of covid/lockdowns etc. We have plenty of valid reasons for a let down season and the players and coach deserve the benefit of the doubt, and another chance to prove themselves.

I don’t get the fear of being a Hawks or cats either. We can’t avoid it, that’s the point of the cap and draft. What can’t be guaranteed is flags (See lions, Freo, blues, bombers, port, Dees (first rebuild with Watts, Scully, Trengove etc..) Saints, gws, gc) who have all got high draft picks in last 15-20 years. So when the chance is there we have to go all in. And if we miss out, the AFL will reward us with top picks anyway.

And now we’re well setup off field we can be more like WCE and Swans who go down and take some top picks and rebuild quicker/stronger.

I suspect there are forces at play, which I will not elaborate on yet, that prefer Richmond to do a Geelong or Hawthorn by hanging around, making finals without really contending, drifting slowly back to the bottom before rising again in another twenty years time.

I just hope our leadership is smart enough to outwit these forces and off-field players and give our club the best chance to contend and win as many premierships as possible whenever it can be maximised
I actually think there are.

Round 1 we lost Vlastuin

We got smashed by swans while being 3 down on the bench, unlucky not to beat port in round 4 in Adelaide, then smashed by Dees without our midfield and losing our best player and another midfielder Mid game.

We were unlucky not to be 5-2 heading into round 8 still (after destroying the dogs sans Dusty,

We also usually start poorly (2019 & 2020 being prime examples smashed by pies, GWS, hawks, Saints, dogs in both those years early).

We came off a shortened preseason had the most 6 day break games, we’re mentally exhausted after 4 years of finals football with the bonus of covid/lockdowns etc. We have plenty of valid reasons for a let down season and the players and coach deserve the benefit of the doubt, and another chance to prove themselves.

I don’t get the fear of being a Hawks or cats either. We can’t avoid it, that’s the point of the cap and draft. What can’t be guaranteed is flags (See lions, Freo, blues, bombers, port, Dees (first rebuild with Watts, Scully, Trengove etc..) Saints, gws, gc) who have all got high draft picks in last 15-20 years. So when the chance is there we have to go all in. And if we miss out, the AFL will reward us with top picks anyway.

And now we’re well setup off field we can be more like WCE and Swans who go down and take some top picks and rebuild quicker/stronger.
That GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Round 1 we lost Vlastuin

We get a free hit next year. If we don’t step up we can trade a few players out who won’t be in our next tilt and really maximise draft picks again.

Martin goes all right in the middle of the ground, the leading centre square winning player of the last few years. Bolton wins his fair share of centre breaks. Prestia is very good but injured and we missed him more than anyone. I get that Petracca and Oliver are in their peaks and are brilliant players, but Gawn did exactly what he liked and spoon fed them, that wouldn't happen against us. Also the Dogs midfield had no mongrol. McRae and Treloar have never laid a bump or tackle in their careers. Old man Cotchin would have ironed out somebody. Hardwick is a prick as well and would have told Stack, Pickett or Mansell to take one for the side. And they can all do it.

Their mids would burn Cotchin every time at the centre square just as they did with Selwood.

Their mids would burn Cotchin every time at the centre square just as they did with Selwood.

Should start sending some posters off to a home. I'm not sure if it can be all down to memory loss, possibly dementia?
Cotchin showed in late part of season he isn't finished yet, but the midfield isn't solely him.
Prestia won a B&F in a premiership year, hardly second rate to anyone when on the park but generally under-rated by many
Bolton, Graeme, Dusty, Edwards ect.

Yes we need more midfielders, need the young guys to step up.
But we shouldn't be writing our champs off because of what the dogs allowed Melbourne to do on Saturday

Round 1 we lost Vlastuin

Bang.
Excellent post.

B: Grimes, Tarrant, Vlastuin
HB Broad, Balta, Short
C: Pickett, Cotchin, McIntosh
HF: Baker, Edwards, Bolton
F: Castagna, Lynch, Riewoldt
R: Nank, Prestia, Martin
Int: Lambert, Graham, Rioli, Soldo

21 premiership players + Tarrant

There’s no weakness other than age/injury so let’s just see what happens when our young up and coming players with a little more age and experience mix in with that special group.

HB Broad, Balta, Short

There’s no weakness other than age/injury so let’s just see what happens when our young up and coming players with a little more age and experience mix in with that special group.
I like it, but I’m still not sure Pickett is in our absolute best side, and we need to find a midfielder who can win more ball. We definitely need to have an injury free run for a change too, it makes a WORLD of difference, this cannot be understated.

I would have a look at this…

B: Grimes, Tarrant, Broad
HB Vlastuin, Balta, Short
C: Lambert, Cotchin, McIntosh
HF: Edwards, Riewoldt, Bolton
F: Stack, Lynch, Baker
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Int: Soldo, Graham, Rioli, first draft pick

Solid back 6 with Rioli and Baker able to play the 7th where necessary.
Injury free the midfield is still very good and will look better with the addition of a high draft pick like Ward if we trade up. We may even see Dow replace Kmac.
Stack to join the forward line and be your Fritsch type. Riewoldt can still give as much or more than Tom McDonald, and surely Lynch will be better for the longer preseason.
Nank and Soldo no Gawn and Jackson but they’re a premiership duo in a 114-25 smashing, they’ll do nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HB Broad, Balta, Short

Castagna hey.

Its not 2017 anymore.

Started already.
Mitch Cleary stated a plyer from a Big vic club wants to join Ess.
He lost me at Stkilda.
Player is Ben Long.

Not saying they wouldn't, I'm saying Cotchin would go in hard with the intention of making them think twice about waltzing around like ballroom dancers. Somebody coming off a line to lay some body on. Grand Finals are different, as with Geelong, nobody risks a suspension in a Prelim, but in a GF, as he has done in every finals campaign, I would guarantee that Cotchin, or Pickett, or Nank or Stack would do what needed to be done. And boy did the Dogs need a bit of mongrol on Saturday.

Started already.
Mitch Cleary stated a plyer from a Big vic club wants to join Ess.
He lost me at Stkilda.
Player is Ben Long.
As far as big clubs go, they don't come any smaller...

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Ill agree there is a chance of that but also dogs and cats just let the Dees walk it out of the midfield. The amount of space Petracca and Oliver had between the center circle and forward 50 to set up the play and target a forward was trash football.

Neither team seemed willing to stop and actually play slightly more defensive at centre clearances (wingers or half backs filling that space) and Melbourne tore them apart for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back