Not open for further replies.
Saad $650
Williams $900
Polec $750
Chol $450
CCJ $450

Short at $800 doesnt look too bad compared to the above
as a free agent he will get that type offer
I mean but the two high contracts you list there are cautionary tales. With their time again no way North or Carlton pay Williams and Polec that much

Anyone offering 800k for Short just seems a bridge to far for me

Last edited:

I personally think his form down back is pretty overrated & his biggest upside value to us is as a forward, but i do think based on the clubs words and handling of him, they are going in 2022 with Dan a lock down back for round 1. He is a "Dimma favourite", recently signed a new contract, and they have asked him to embrace the new role & he appears to have done so like a pro. I think they will give him first and every chance down there before resorting to a "plan B" - so it appears the reality of him being "integral" down back is not a matter of "if" - the club has committed to his role

After years of having a strength of a really settled and cohesive backline, to me its a really interesting question who our core back 7 this year will be - and who will be our small forwards?
Tall/medium Backs - Tarrant, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Balta/Miller/Biggie/Gibcus?
Small backs - Short, Baker, Mansell, Stack, Rioli, Brown, Banks?

Out of those small backs, who is most likely to transfer effectively to a small forward?
Going by last season, its most likely to be Baker or Stack, or else Dan Rioli returns there.
Are we looking for a trade or free agent KPF to eventually replace JR, or will it be one of our current tall backs that transfer to the forward line? Or Samson?

Do Bolton and Dusty play predominantly forward or midfield?
Do Jack, Cotchin & Edwards move to more utility-type roles as we prepare for our 2023/24 new-look team without them?

Saad $650
Williams $900
Polec $750
Chol $450
CCJ $450

The two over 700k in that group were recruited to be gun mids. Short I doubt will ever be that. So Saad at 650k is the closer number imo.

Martins deal was front loaded, Lynchs back ended. Not sure on Dions.

Everything reported at the time was that his deal would be heavily back loaded. We had a lot of big contracts at the time for Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance and some lemons in the form of Yarran and Lennon,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean but the two high contracts you list there are cautionary tales. With their time again no way North or Carlton pay Williams and Polec that much

Anyone offering 800k for Short just seems a bridge to far for me

Agree with that - i think nearly every player on that list so far has a stink of "buyers regret" to it

After years of having a strength of a really settled and cohesive backline, to me its a really interesting question who our core back 7 this year will be - and who will be our small forwards?
Tall/medium Backs - Tarrant, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Balta/Miller/Biggie/Gibcus?
Small backs - Short, Baker, Mansell, Stack, Rioli, Brown, Banks?

Out of those small backs, who is most likely to transfer effectively to a small forward?
Going by last season, its most likely to be Baker or Stack, or else Dan Rioli returns there.
Are we looking for a trade or free agent KPF to eventually replace JR, or will it be one of our current tall backs that transfer to the forward line? Or Samson?

Do Bolton and Dusty play predominantly forward or midfield?
Do Jack, Cotchin & Edwards move to more utility-type roles as we prepare for our 2023/24 new-look team without them?

I think Stack is pretty much set up front IF he can stop sabotaging his own career and slacking off, coming back out of shape etc. He to me has the "alpha/No Fear" mentality required to be a dangerous forward.

Baker seems likely to be moved to be more of a mid now based on the new signings & Rioli's relocation.

I actually see it more interesting to which of these "overflow" defenders will transition to a wing, not the forward line. I think our wings are fairly lame. I know a lot of people really want to see Balta rotating forward, I personally would be interested to see him trialed on a wing a bit more. I think the idea of having fast moving, high leaping, marking Wings could be a point of difference the team could look at - Balta, Pickett, KMac all fit that bill a bit, even trialing Gibcus a bit there at VFL level could be interesting while he develops more body mass

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head though - i think in an ideal world we start to see more new faces through the middle to allow Bolton & Dusty to both spend more time forward etc. With those 2 down there along with Stack, Jack & Tom - the forward line looks fairly set with a plethora of fringe players given the challenge to fit for the final spots

Last edited:
Saad $650 - Recruited as they had no speed or ball users - Pre Covid.
Williams $900 - Recruited to play on ball. FA signing (?)
Polec $750 - recruited as an on baller. Pre Covid
Chol $450 - Big man on $450k isn't big dollars
CCJ $450 - Big man on $450k isn't big dollars

I don't mind what you are putting out there, but, we are still in a window and i'm not sure what other clubs which are thereabouts could offer $800k. Cats can't, Dees will now have to re-sign their players for overs, not sure on the dogs cap, Sydney are tight. WCE are tight, we're tight. Saints and pies are tight. You reckon he'd go to a North or a GC for cash?

Everything reported at the time was that his deal would be heavily back loaded. We had a lot of big contracts at the time for Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance and some lemons in the form of Yarran and Lennon,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, not how i recall it. I recall it as being front loaded. And keep in mind, most players have agreed to further reductions to go under the cap, so he is taking less now than the original deal.
Rance hasn't been a contracted player for a couple of years now, Yarren was cut years ago (weird reference), Jack has taken pay cuts over the years and took another to stay on this year and Cotchin took a a couple of pay cuts as well (one to get Lynch over) and once since covid.

I don't mind what you are putting out there, but, we are still in a window and i'm not sure what other clubs which are thereabouts could offer $800k. Cats can't, Dees will now have to re-sign their players for overs, not sure on the dogs cap, Sydney are tight. WCE are tight, we're tight. Saints and pies are tight. You reckon he'd go to a North or a GC for cash?
Got 2 flags.
I would even after 1 for 800k.

A few of the clubs you have listed as being tight wont be for 2023 on wards
St Kilda , Collingwood , Hawthorn , North , Adelaide , Fremantle and possibly even Geelong with the pensioners that will retire will all have space

$750k-$800k is not massive when chasing a free agent without having to give up draft capital
But just as an exercise clubs will know that $650k wont move Short and he will stay at Richmond for 10%-15% less and become a 1 club player
So lets assume his offer at Richmond is $575,000 it would take atleast a 20%-25% uplift for him to consider the move taking him upto the $750k range

North have lost alot of higher paid players Shaun Atley Trent Dumont and Tarrant who's salaries will go directly to CCJ , Greenwood
They also have Ziebull , Goldstein , cunnington and Hall all on big $$$ that will all be gone in 2 years time

Not to even mention the Dusty , Kelly , Gaff , De Goey unused cash

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few of the clubs you have listed as being tight wont be for 2023 on wards
St Kilda , Collingwood , Hawthorn , North , Adelaide , Fremantle and possibly even Geelong with the pensioners that will retire will all have space

$750k-$800k is not massive when chasing a free agent without having to give up draft capital
But just as an exercise clubs will know that $650k wont move Short and he will stay at Richmond for 10%-15% less and become a 1 club player
So lets assume his offer at Richmond is $575,000 it would take atleast a 20%-25% uplift for him to consider the move taking him upto the $750k range

North have lost alot of higher paid players Shaun Atley Trent Dumont and Tarrant who's salaries will go directly to CCJ , Greenwood
They also have Ziebull , Goldstein , cunnington and Hall all on big $$$ that will all be gone in 2 years time

Not to even mention the Dusty , Kelly , Gaff , De Goey unused cash
In 2 years we will be minus Cotch, Shedda, Jack, maybe a guy like Caddy who’s on good coin as well. So i’m sure we will be ok moving forward.
*edit - and Astbury and Houli retired at seasons end giving us more cap relief.

Last edited:
Pandemic tpp cuts have meant most clubs are pretty tight on the cap, an 800 offer would be highly unlikely ,,,high 600s quite possible I’d think our offer would be 500+ so not a great deal likely in it

Im starting to feel that we will lose player to free agency this year and will be Jayden Short

He did take slight unders last contract but will be looking at big $$$ to be thrown at him at the end of the year
$800k x 4/5 years would not be out of the question from a club like Norf

Do we match ?
With the players we have drafted this year in Brown/Banks

There are alot of players getting paid what they are not worth

Williams , McGovern , Polec , Sheil etc etc

Free agency adds $150-$200k onto salaries when low clubs are involved
Jayden is a good mill Park boy very very loyal, he won't be going anywhere, will be in the new leadership group this year,and is a potential captain in the next few years

Im starting to feel that we will lose player to free agency this year and will be Jayden Short

He did take slight unders last contract but will be looking at big $$$ to be thrown at him at the end of the year
$800k x 4/5 years would not be out of the question from a club like Norf

Do we match ?
With the players we have drafted this year in Brown/Banks

There are alot of players getting paid what they are not worth

Williams , McGovern , Polec , Sheil etc etc

Free agency adds $150-$200k onto salaries when low clubs are involved
Desperate*

As i understand it when the Covid cuts came all players had to negotiate pay cut deals across the League (incl our guys) & most Clubs are tight on cap as a result. This is why guys like finlayson & Petrevski-Seton were among the "bigger name" players to move during trade period. Clubs just don't atm have the cash to splash as they used to for big name players on ridiculous $$$, the ones that still do are desperate & will run out of cap as they rise to mid table.

As i understand it when the Covid cuts came all players had to negotiate pay cut deals across the League (incl our guys) & most Clubs are tight on cap as a result. This is why guys like finlayson & Petrevski-Seton were among the "bigger name" players to move during trade period. Clubs just don't atm have the cash to splash as they used to for big name players on ridiculous $$$, the ones that still do are desperate & will run out of cap as they rise to mid table.

Some clubs have a real log jam in salary cap coming up. Supposedly GWS among them. They kicked the can down the road and are stuck with large long term salaries and up and comers who should get more of the non-existent spare salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back