Trade Period 2023 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies: Not the busiest but Schultz replaces Adams at HF and will kick more goals. Lost Gin, replaceable. They got better but old list

Sydney: did really well

Port will perceive they won but wait and see. If they have another run next season then ok. I like Soldo in but did they need him and Sweet? Sav is overrated as *, BZT has had 3 kicked on him already

We needed to do more. An inside mid who walks into the best 22 ideally. We faffed about with Petty who Dees fans seem to believe is the next Buddy (LOL) so see how that goes. Lost Doedee and McAdam. Doedee a loss but Hinge covered him well, not fussed with McAdam. See how we draft. Would have taken a shot at Billings tbh

Dons: panicked

Dees: panicked

North have alot of picks

Freo lost

Losers

GWS: On the cusp of a grand final and made no effort to improve best 22
I can see how this could be seen as a loss, but we didn't lose players (except Flynn and got pck 43 as compo and that should come in to 38-39?). We also didn't trade in list cloggers for the sake of trading AND didn't do a stupid GCS-style salary dump as many had hoped. We've taken a lot of early picks recently and these players are going to give us growth internally. So, salary cap in good condition, not losing anyone and good picks in the draft = very solid position

Dodo won trade week yet again, he always wins.
Dodo Birdie GIF by Extreme Improv

Essendon losers I reckon. 850k over six years for McKay is nuts. Add whatever they paid Gresham to get band 2, and I think they will be regretting using so much cap on these two.
And yet, according to Cal Twomey they still have much more cap in the bank. No good it sitting there doing nothing. It will need to be spent sooner or later. In the next couple years Shiel comes off the books there is another 800k. McKay only 25 and has his best footy ahead of him, dont have a huge issue with that one. Gresham, however I agree, spent overs potentially there. I guess we'll find out.

Swans biggest winners. Paid minimal and all upside. Only loss a player who isn’t making their team on exposed form.

Freo biggest losers but not because of how they traded. Did OK in bad situation but end of day their best 22 is weaker after trade period and that’s not where they should be at.

You did manage to complete your traditional trading of a former high draft pick away for bugger all. It wouldn’t be the trade period without at least one of those.
Yeah, probably the one absolute stinker, but overall through the 5 other trades we achieved our goals for the period while moving on an underwhelming and underachieving players like Chol and Hollands, and leaving us in a good draft position for both 23 and 24.

And yet, according to Cal Twomey they still have much more cap in the bank. No good it sitting there doing nothing. It will need to be spent sooner or later. In the next couple years Shiel comes off the books there is another 800k. McKay only 25 and has his best footy ahead of him, dont have a huge issue with that one. Gresham, however I agree, spent overs potentially there. I guess we'll find out.

You can just front end deals and set yourself up to have a massive salary cap in the future. There is no such thing as money sitting there doing nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies: Not the busiest but Schultz replaces Adams at HF and will kick more goals. Lost Gin, replaceable. They got better but old list

Sydney: did really well

Port will perceive they won but wait and see. If they have another run next season then ok. I like Soldo in but did they need him and Sweet? Sav is overrated as *, BZT has had 3 kicked on him already

We needed to do more. An inside mid who walks into the best 22 ideally. We faffed about with Petty who Dees fans seem to believe is the next Buddy (LOL) so see how that goes. Lost Doedee and McAdam. Doedee a loss but Hinge covered him well, not fussed with McAdam. See how we draft. Would have taken a shot at Billings tbh

Dons: panicked

Dees: panicked

North have alot of picks

Freo lost
How so?

And not sure how Dee's fans think Petty I the next Buddy. Your club was the one offering him Buddy level money. We just help a required player to his contract.

You can just front end deals and set yourself up to have a massive salary cap in the future. There is no such thing as money sitting there doing nothing.
How do we know the McKay & Gresham offers weren't front ended? Don't think it's as dire as some are making it out to be. We'll wait and see I guess

Essendon.

In: McKay, Gresham, Goldstein, Duursma, #35, #61 and a future 4th (Collingwoods)

Out: Zerk-Thatcher, D'Ambrosio, #52, #73, Future 3rd (ours) and future 4th (ours)

Not the winner of the period but we did pretty well at improving our list and draft hand.
You’d bloody hope so, the dodo just spent $2.2m of your cap for those upgrades

I like what Sydney, Melbourne and Essendon have done, Fremantle has a lot of short tem pain but have also done well depending on how they go next year.

• Essendon we've seen this episode before 6 years ago when they picked up Saad, Stringer and Smith. I like McKay but not at the price. Gresham will be a whipping boy in no time and Duursma is less than ordinary.
lol how is it the same episode?

Saad, Stringer and Smith were all trades vs FA picks ups and a player swap.

2017 draft our picks were 49, 66 and 76 compared to 9, 31 & 35 this upcoming draft.

The Saad, Stringer and Smith trades also left us with Picks 11 (turned into Shiel) and 60 for the 2018 draft, no picks that matter for 2024 have been given up.

No meaningful currency apart from money (which we have ample to burn as you can see with the plans to pay Shiels contract and make Gresham Band 1 to give a mid first rounder) was used to turn a retiree in Andrew Phillips and three out of contract players in BZT, Snelling and Massimo into Goldy, McKay, Gresham and Duursma while improving this years draft position and leaving all future picks that matter intact.

From a pure value point we turned a 2nd round MSD pick and our future 2nd into Ginnivan, Chol and Gunston.

That's a hell of a return on investment for Sticks. Gonna miss him though. Weird looking unit but he can play.

Collingwood biggest winner for mine. Lacklustre trade period but they got the best talent available and all other competitors didn't pick up anyone that would move the needle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back