Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I thought Cox was v good yesterday. No Cameron, but he still marked strongly against the backs, and taught poor Oscar a lesson in the ruck. Kid is 204cm, but looked 196cm next to big Coxy.

DeGoey also v good, and Nick in everything, as players unsurprisingly look for him, and he often answers by getting free. Expects some tags this year Nick... in almost every game.

Adams' pressure also really stood out in the middle for me, as he looks keen to not let his primary spot go to Mitch. & Mitchell was a little bit off the pace tbh. Still learning chemistry with teammates in gameplay, and not quick. No doubt has plenty to give, so will be good to see him gain more touch with gameplan / teammates in more match sims, then the real stuff. Pendles also v relaible but not quick, so am not expecting the veteran brigade of Pendles, Lipinski, Sidey, Mitch & Adams to be paired up together much. Will catch us out against quick opposition if so, and is why messers Crisp, DG, Nick and young bucks Arlo, HH and Carmy will be vital.

Arlo looked good too. Snapped a nice goal, and got amongst it in the centre. Ditto Ryan off HBF, but will continue to say this... needs to look down the ground, not sideways and 15m in front of him! Giving me flashbacks to Mayne a bit.

Elliott got caught a couple of times, which along with a few other HTB decisions, got me thinking two things... 1. our transition defence looks v good, with all players knowing their roles and guarding space / being v quick to pressure the ball carrier, but also... 2. The handball / quick transition strategy needs everyone switched on, with little margin for error. Again, matches with 18 defenders on the field is v different to 5 a side handball drills in small spaces, so hopefully this clicks. Last season proved that the coaches are v good at implementing these strategies, but there will no doubt be patches in the season with players getting caught up in knots, and being caught when the chain breaks down.

WHE intercepted well at HB in one passage, so again will be v interesting to see if he really makes this spot his own. I personally think he will be exposed a bit here, with average one v one pressure / contested skills.
Odd you add Lippa in the "veteran" brigade given he is 24. I noticed he was on the wing a few times, which was interesting.
I thought Oscar competed pretty well, he just needs to not let Cox get in front, though given his height and strength, its no surprise. But definitely was some good learning lessons for the kid.

I like your points about Ash - he provides a point of difference to the forward line - he's an exceptional mark on the lead. Reckon you want your backline to be highly predictable and your forward line highly un-predictable, Ash is enigmatic and the sort of player who can turn games - whilst I don't think he'll be in our best 23 at the start of the season, I reckon he'll be in it at the end of the season.
At the start of the year, I think it'll come down to a decision between 2 rucks or 1 ruck and Johnson as the extra forward.

At the start of the year, I think it'll come down to a decision between 2 rucks or 1 ruck and Johnson as the extra forward.
We may go with a floating 2nd ruck position with Cox dropping back 1 kick behind the play for a rest and either Johnno or the best rucking back taking the tapping duties whichever end it happens to be.

We have some flexibility now.

Odd you add Lippa in the "veteran" brigade given he is 24. I noticed he was on the wing a few times, which was interesting.
I thought Oscar competed pretty well, he just needs to not let Cox get in front, though given his height and strength, its no surprise. But definitely was some good learning lessons for the kid.
Good point, as he was a bolt-on… but actually chose this generalised label rather than ‘the slow mids brigade’.

Last edited:
All Collingwood supporters are invited to join us at the AIA Vitality Centre for our 2023 intraclub match on Friday, February 17.

The opening bounce is pencilled for 5pm and after the final siren the playing group will be presented with 2023 guernseys to launch the season.

Glasshouse Eatery will be open for business and food trucks and bars will be dotted around the oval. Hydration stations will also be in place around the oval, so be sure to bring your drink bottle along too.

Collingwood mascots Jock and Maggie will wear their Friday best and be ready to strike a pose with you.

Plenty of free activities for the kids - face painting, caricatures, airbrush tattoos, giveaways and prizes, plus you can make your own footy card!

Signing sessions are back! Bring along a footy or guernsey to grab an autograph from your favourite players.

The Collingwood Superstore is still being renovated; a pop-up marquee will be available to cover your preseason merch needs. Members can enjoy a 10% discount as well.

Not a member yet? Easy - we can sign you up on site! Our Collingwood membership team will be set up next to the pop-up superstore to help you with your membership needs.

We can't wait to see you Magpie Army!

Hot Pies Summer Family Night timings:

4.30pm: Festivities begin
5pm – 6.40pm: AFL Intraclub Match
7.15pm – 7.30pm: AFL Guernsey presentation
8pm: Event concludes

I rekon WHE moving back is a good move. Obviously with our players coming in there is no spot for him up front. But I rekon he could play a similar role to Howe. Reads the ball well, great in the air. Only issue would be his vulnerability when getting dragged deeper to the goal square.

I don't agree that rucks don't matter much any more. A really good one, like Gawn or Grundy can control a game. It may be only a few games a year that this occurs in, but it matters. A really poor one and any team is in dire straits. Collingwood have never willingly gone down the undersized second ruck path, so I think that tells us that this is what the coaches think too.
Cox and Cameron are both effective on the forward line, and ideally they are both in the team. They both mark well around the ground, and are at least competitive if not actually controlling in the ruck. Both have good mobility for their height. Just one of them leaves a gap that we can't really fill with Kreuger out for the forseeable future. I would really rather that we didn't have to drag McStay into it. The matchups at training, and the drills that McStay is sent to (according to the reports I have read here, because I haven't seen any training) suggest that that is the way the team is preparing.
I’m not sure about your argument I mean Stanley is rubbish v Hickey and it didn’t seem to bother Geelong on GF day. The reason for my post though is more to highlight that Grundy is not a good ruckman and hasn’t been since 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed it's not why we got him, but if Cameron & Cox both went down, he's next best option IMHO.
Tried and failed as a ruckman. Might as well use WHE if we’re looking to turn to Frampton because the structural loss to the back 7 will outweigh the marginal gain we may get from Frampton>Steene/ Begg. At least with WHE we know he can jump 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I thought Cox was v good yesterday. No Cameron, but he still marked strongly against the backs, and taught poor Oscar a lesson in the ruck. Kid is 204cm, but looked 196cm next to big Coxy.

DeGoey also v good, and Nick in everything, as players unsurprisingly look for him, and he often answers by getting free. Expects some tags this year Nick... in almost every game.

Adams' pressure also really stood out in the middle for me, as he looks keen to not let his primary spot go to Mitch. & Mitchell was a little bit off the pace tbh. Still learning chemistry with teammates in gameplay, and not quick. No doubt has plenty to give, so will be good to see him gain more touch with gameplan / teammates in more match sims, then the real stuff. Pendles also v relaible but not quick, so am not expecting the veteran brigade of Pendles, Lipinski, Sidey, Mitch & Adams to be paired up together much. Will catch us out against quick opposition if so, and is why messers Crisp, DG, Nick and young bucks Arlo, HH and Carmy will be vital.

Arlo looked good too. Snapped a nice goal, and got amongst it in the centre. Ditto Ryan off HBF, but will continue to say this... needs to look down the ground, not sideways and 15m in front of him! Giving me flashbacks to Mayne a bit.

Elliott got caught a couple of times, which along with a few other HTB decisions, got me thinking two things... 1. our transition defence looks v good, with all players knowing their roles and guarding space / being v quick to pressure the ball carrier, but also... 2. The handball / quick transition strategy needs everyone switched on, with little margin for error. Again, matches with 18 defenders on the field is v different to 5 a side handball drills in small spaces, so hopefully this clicks. Last season proved that the coaches are v good at implementing these strategies, but there will no doubt be patches in the season with players getting caught up in knots, and being caught when the chain breaks down.

WHE intercepted well at HB in one passage, so again will be v interesting to see if he really makes this spot his own. I personally think he will be exposed a bit here, with average one v one pressure / contested skills.
Great report, but why are you putting Lipinski in with the veterans, he’s like what, 24?

I hear Ben Silvagni is playing for our VFL team, I wonder if it has anything to do with Jack Silvagni who is a free agent at the end of the year. 25 194cm forward. I know we have AJ, Mihocek and Reef as that around 194cm forward but would be happy if Silvagni came over also if Will Kelly doesn't get a new contract this year he would be an upgrade.

Iirc he is best mates with Nick Daicos.

Edit nvm that would of been Tom Silvagni.

Last edited:
All Collingwood supporters are invited to join us at the AIA Vitality Centre for our 2023 intraclub match on Friday, February 17.

The opening bounce is pencilled for 5pm and after the final siren the playing group will be presented with 2023 guernseys to launch the season.

Glasshouse Eatery will be open for business and food trucks and bars will be dotted around the oval. Hydration stations will also be in place around the oval, so be sure to bring your drink bottle along too.

Collingwood mascots Jock and Maggie will wear their Friday best and be ready to strike a pose with you.

Plenty of free activities for the kids - face painting, caricatures, airbrush tattoos, giveaways and prizes, plus you can make your own footy card!

Signing sessions are back! Bring along a footy or guernsey to grab an autograph from your favourite players.

The Collingwood Superstore is still being renovated; a pop-up marquee will be available to cover your preseason merch needs. Members can enjoy a 10% discount as well.

Not a member yet? Easy - we can sign you up on site! Our Collingwood membership team will be set up next to the pop-up superstore to help you with your membership needs.

We can't wait to see you Magpie Army!

Hot Pies Summer Family Night timings:

4.30pm: Festivities begin
5pm – 6.40pm: AFL Intraclub Match
7.15pm – 7.30pm: AFL Guernsey presentation
8pm: Event concludes

Biggest news in all of this is prob that the glasshouse cafe will be open……

Will be there with bells on though.
Jen2310 - will you also be available to fans for autographs at this event…?

I was referring to you rightly or wrongly shitting on Begg then acknowledging he won’t play… Cox will be the number 1 if Cameron misses and for mine one ruck is a better set up than we’re likely to take into Rd 1 when Cameron inevitably proves his fitness.

Rucking Cox off the bench was a work around for our poor stoppage game and with the inclusion of Mitchell it’s a backward step. The only challenge the Cameron setback presents in my mind is in relation to Kreuger’s injury because a Cameron/ Cox and Kreuger combination would have been the goal at least early season while the grounds are dry, but we may now need to turn to Johnson or McStay instead.

Yeah, I was definitely being sarcastic.

Being serious: I agree with your post.

I also think the ruck is going to be our weakness this year. Some don't value ruckman, and that's fine. I'm happy to see how it plays out. I just don't like the idea of Cameron going up against the best ruckman. I think it'll hurt us. And if he's not playing.... the stocks are a bit bare.

Eight years on an AFL list without an impact. It doesn't bode well really does it?

Frampton has only spent 18 months of that time as a key defender. He dominated SANFL in the role and showed promise at AFL level also. The 6.5 years spent as a key forward and ruck feel a little like he was played out of position in that context.

Yet , numptys on here have him as our Full back
We’ve offered him 3 years. I’d suggest those in charge of defence know more than us. They aren’t offering 3 years for him to play vfl. Some players just excel in new roles.

Howe was a mediocre forward, became an elite backmen. Liam jones was an absolute spud of a forward, he was embarrassingly bad. He became a top level defender

Yet , numptys on here have him as our Full back
Pretty much every track watcher, be it on here, or other sites, or in the media have him lining up as our FB in round 1. The club gave him a 3 year deal. Are they really all numpties, or could there be a chance that he will indeed, be our full back, at least initially. Because it sounds to me the position is very much his to lose at this point.

Frampton has only spent 18 months of that time as a key defender. He dominated SANFL in the role and showed promise at AFL level also. The 6.5 years spent as a key forward and ruck feel a little like he was played out of position in that context.
This. Billy has a build akin to a 6’ 8” Taylor Adams. Is not a ruckman, and has finally found his niche. Won’t win every contest against the big forwards around the league, but he will play round 1 and FB is his to lose imo

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back