Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobes the sub surely!

In the vision I saw of Nick Daicos on Monday, his sore knee still looked to be... well... sore. Just because he was lifting it off the ground, shaking it etc between drills.

Probably just a mental thing for him. Any more of that? Or was he looking pretty well unimpeded today?

I'm expecting him to play and play well but I'm certainly not expecting him to win the game for us off his own boot.

My son's very brief training report:

-Naicos looked great
-Tay looks a cert for next week (if we're there)
- WHE couldn't hit the side of a barn in match sim
Did Adams join in full training?? That’s basically the only way I can see him as a certainty to return for the GF if we’re fortunate enough to get there.

A write up on Facebk from Anabelle G.

Brief observations from training today.
It was ominously grey and cloudy before eight but the sun quickly burnt off the murky roof and conditions were fine but not too warm. My umbrella and Magpie raincoat were redundant which was great and the wind had seemed to keep the ground dry despite some rain, so there was no chance of players slipping.
Those ‘injured’ or recently absent such as Nick, Moore and Hill all trained very well and looked in mint condition.
There was some gratuitous music piped around the ground for much of the session so one could not hear the coaches’ instructions, nor what the raucous cheer was about early when the players gathered in the middle, interlocked arms and jumped a bit in the air. Perhaps it was just a motivational rant to kick off proceedings.
The whole of the VFL squad trained, donning white tops. Murphy, Ginni and Noble also wore this lighter strip. The roll call suggested that everyone meant to be there was. Adams completed running drills on the outer side of the ground.
The warm-up was per normal with lots of repetitions over the mini-hurdles, some hoisted weights in the air as they navigated them. There was also desultory kicking among friends.
There were many other activities completed over the course of training with an emphasis on contested work, and close-in handball, with some players wearing alternative-coloured tops like the favoured lime-green.
There was some sprinting involving the whole cohort on the outer side of the ground and this was high octane with players going flat out and really responding to the commands.
There were also the protracted whole ground ball movement drills, with some players nominated to stand on the sidelines do players could be roughly paired. Generally, this was very sharp and impressed the crowd who reacted to elite passages of play or the odd egregious error.
At one point all players retreated to the area near the pavilion for a hydration break and they stood and listened to McRae who was clearly providing some guidance for the rest of training.
Some of the forwards practised goal-kicking while waiting to join more dedicated drills as this rotation seemed to be a more loosely disciplined activity at the Yarra end of the arena.
The majority of the crowd was bedecked in black and white paraphernalia and the mascot was mingling with the hordes thronging the fence. The fans seemed to arrive later today as the gathering swelled once the session had started and the outer side notably built up. People were still filing in when training was winding down. The youngsters were a bit deflated when an announcement came over that players would not be signing autographs after the session proper as they were going to continue to train indoors.
Thankfully there didn’t appear to be any training mishaps or hiccups given the fate which befell Adams last Friday and Fly is hopeful of Tay regaining his place if we make the Grand Final due to the injury being minor. People in my propinquity, seemed sanguine regarding our chances with some automatically assuming that we would be playing Brisbane following the GWS challenge.
There was a large contingent of photographers at the ground today and they charged towards the players who gathered in the middle at the official beginning of the session.

Did Adams join in full training?? That’s basically the only way I can see him as a certainty to return for the GF if we’re fortunate enough to get there.

Will ask when I see him again (although by then someone else will likely report in detail). I'd expect he was doing sprints/loading work and will begin non-contact match sim early next week and be put through some more gruelling stuff mid week to prove one way or another.

People may be getting ahead of themselves but the vibe around the place apparently was that everyone's confident in him returning if we make the GF

Last edited:
No chance Daicos is the sub. He's starting.
Wouldn't be surprised if Nick starts on the bench - he won't be sub.
It said in the report from FB I pasted below that he was running on the sidelines.
Makes sense, he doesn't need to prove he's match fit until the Friday before the GF (assuming we make it) - no sense extending himself now and risking a setback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back