Toast Travis Boak - Captain Courageous

Remove this Banner Ad

Travis just continues to astound me with his leadership both off and on the field. He is the best captain in the AFL right now and by the time he is done, (stand by for big statement) may be the best our club has ever had. We might have to retire the Number 1 !!!

Travis just continues to astound me with his leadership both off and on the field. He is the best captain in the AFL right now and by the time he is done, (stand by for big statement) may be the best our club has ever had. We might have to retire the Number 1 !!!

His mum Chicki in an interview on ABC radio footy coverage (The Inquistion) on Mother's Day- which is linked somewhere on this forum - said she didn't think he had much leadership qualities and was amazed how well he has done.

Someone at the club obviously thought he had something that could be worked on, because they appointed ex Governor and Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce as his mentor about 12 months after he got to the club.

I reckon Ablett is a better captain because he is coaching the kids out on the ground but its a toss up between Boak, Hodge and Selwood as to who is next.

I like to believe that 'We Are Port Adelaide' has brought out the best in Travis. He was always loyal. Now he is a loyal leader

Interesting stat: from round 13 Port scored from over 31% of Boak's clearances, which was 1st of the top 30 clearance players
#travisboat

What a stat. Where did that come from?

#travisboat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1535470_726779137385384_2803717208889741674_n.jpg
Ouch...that Guernsey is like a bloody nightmare back from the 70s, 80s and early 90s come back to haunt....as if seeing one Boak in the Torquay colours running rings around us in that era wasn't bad enough....at least we got some revenge in 2012....

Would that be Trav's guernsey there or his father's?

I ask because my understanding was that Trav only played one game for Torquay, and because the guernsey above is clearly more 80's/90's than what Jasper is wearing. The logos are also kinda dated.

His mum Chicki in an interview on ABC radio footy coverage (The Inquistion) on Mother's Day- which is linked somewhere on this forum - said she didn't think he had much leadership qualities and was amazed how well he has done.

Someone at the club obviously thought he had something that could be worked on, because they appointed ex Governor and Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce as his mentor about 12 months after he got to the club.

I reckon Ablett is a better captain because he is coaching the kids out on the ground but its a toss up between Boak, Hodge and Selwood as to who is next.

At this rate, Ablett could be coaching them off field also :p

Ouch...that Guernsey is like a bloody nightmare back from the 70s, 80s and early 90s come back to haunt....as if seeing one Boak in the Torquay colours running rings around us in that era wasn't bad enough....at least we got some revenge in 2012....
It's definitely Roger's old #5 Guernsey, the one that used to drive us at Queenscliff batty for years. You are correct, Trav only played one senior game for Torquay and wore that Guernsey. Having been bamboozled by Roger many times over the years, it's hardly surprising to see Trav reaching such standards in the AFL.

It's definitely Roger's old #5 Guernsey, the one that used to drive us at Queenscliff batty for years. You are correct, Trav only played one senior game for Torquay and wore that Guernsey. Having been bamboozled by Roger many times over the years, it's hardly surprising to see Trav reaching such standards in the AFL.

You will have to tell us a bit more about footy in the Bellarine Football League. Anyway havent said it before, but welcome to Bigfooty, hope you have enjoyed the last few months on here and hope to read more of your posts.

You will have to tell us a bit more about footy in the Bellarine Football League. Anyway havent said it before, but welcome to Bigfooty, hope you have enjoyed the last few months on here and hope to read more of your posts.
Thanks for the welcome and the interest in the Bellarine League. Original Port Magpies fan as a kid before moving to Victoria in early adolescence hence the Port connection. Played and coached at Queenscliff throughout the 1970s, 80s & 90s until coming back to Adelaide in 2004 and have been rapt to see Travis Boak come through to skipper Port in the AFL as his dad was a legendary figure in this league for years, albeit with bitter rival Torquay. To a lesser extent Patrick Dangerfield whose Dad was a great player at Anglesea. Currently keeping a close watch on Darcy Gardiner at Brisbane who was a Queenscliff product. Enjoying reading all the stuff on here about Port and especially how things have evolved over the last couple of years. Really looking forward to seeing Boaky lift the cup and / or Charlie. He is a great young man from a sensational family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back