Twilight Grand Final all but confirmed - but actually no!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind a twilight GF, it would mean the game starts at about 2.30pm here in WA rather than 12.30pm which is way too early.

The umpires couldn't see a thing either going by the standard of umpiring in that game.
its always the umpires with you

Good move. Will be much better for WA viewers. Victorian traditionalists might not like it, but it's not just about you - you get the game at your ground every year.

Also, you don't hear too many complaints about the Preliminary finals that start at this time, so I can't see it being a problem.

Better viewing time for those of us in Europe.

I looked at my clock yesterday and twilight was about 8pm.
I thought to myself "What a wonderful time to play a game of football!"
So I'm all for a twilight Grand Final ... at 8pm.
It's hard to tell if this post is serious ...

Good move. Will be much better for WA viewers. Victorian traditionalists might not like it, but it's not just about you - you get the game at your ground every year.

Also, you don't hear too many complaints about the Preliminary finals that start at this time, so I can't see it being a problem.

Better viewing time for those of us in Europe.

True about the bold but masses of people hardly plan entire days around a PF. Personally I prefer the day start time because it makes the whole day the event (similar to Melbourne Cup) but can see benefits in having the entire country able to watch the Grand Final at a reasonable time. Am not and don't think I will ever be a supporter of a night Grand Final.

Couldn't care less what time is good for viewing in Europe and would suggest that would and should be an insignificant consideration.

I love to see some figures on this "broad acceptance" from football fans.

"We paid a few of our consultants to check if the general supporters like our preference for a night or twilight Grand Final and they said everyone definitely supports that thing that we asked them to find evidence of support for."

Wow, a sunset! You don't see that every day.

Good point. I used to want North to make a Grand Final again but I've realised now that my life would feel much more complete if I just went to the G once or twice a year and watched the sun go down. I've texted Jack Ziebell to see if he's keen to hang. He's all for it and will pick up some fish and chips on his way over.

#bromance

Last edited:
Personally don't mind it at all, I actually think I will enjoy it just as much, people complaining about a bigger build up.....please.....if your team makes the Grand Final and you are concerned about the long build up you have problems. It'l be just as good a spectacle.

Personally don't mind it at all, I actually think I will enjoy it just as much, people complaining about a bigger build up.....please.....if your team makes the Grand Final and you are concerned about the long build up you have problems. It'l be just as good a spectacle.

True for a supporter. Would have thought the whole point of the Grand Final is that it is supposed to have the biggest neutral audience of the year though. Participating team supporters I would suggest are fish in a barrel stuff. ie. Doubt too many Fremantle/WC fans weren't ready to go at 12:30pm a few years back.

True for a supporter. Would have thought the whole point of the Grand Final is that it is supposed to have the biggest neutral audience of the year though. Participating team supporters I would suggest are fish in a barrel stuff. ie. Doubt too many Fremantle/WC fans weren't ready to go at 12:30pm a few years back.

I agree with you on that point but I really don't think it's going to matter, a Grand Final is a Grand Final, most get the day off for it, most work their schedules around it. For the sake of 2 hours I don't see it as a huge issue. I like the idea of it finishing later to be honest. That's just me though.

hmmmm stuff twilight granny.

the tradition in our circle is why i love grand final day so much.......well considering i havnt seen us make the damn thing.

breaky yeastys, up and about early, few bets before gametime and then festivities carry on into the night.
pure bliss.
sucks having a back half of the day feel imo.

hmmmm stuff twilight granny.

the tradition in our circle is why i love grand final day so much.......well considering i havnt seen us make the damn thing.

breaky yeastys, up and about early, few bets before gametime and then festivities carry on into the night.
pure bliss.
sucks having a back half of the day feel imo.

Now think Perth has to do all that, 2 hours earlier. Not as fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. The only arguments are really those of inertia. ie of the "eeerrr don't change it, i'm used to how it is neeeoooow"

The midday start time in Perth is ample enough justification alone for pushing the game back 2 or 4 hours

Exactly. I have not heard one good argument to not change it. "Oh it's tradition" "ohhhh it means (insert completely unverifiable data here)" i.e the ball will be wet because its night, or more drunk people because they will go out after. Like seriously? But Perth fans, have a genuine argument for it to change. Talk bad about Perth all you want, but Perth bleeds footy and has a massive fan base and deserve some respect from fans from others parts of the country to be honest.

Last edited:
Exactly. The only arguments are really those of inertia. ie of the "eeerrr don't change it, i'm used to how it is neeeoooow"

The midday start time in Perth is ample enough justification alone for pushing the game back 2 or 4 hours
Yeah fair is fair, it's change people don't take change well sometimes but the whole league as a whole is going through that at the moment so I just see this as the inevitable. People will come round to it eventually.

Exactly. I have not heard one good argument to not change it. "Oh it's tradition" "ohhhh it means (insert completely unverifiable data here)" i.e the ball will be wet because its night, or more drunk people because they will go out after. Like seriously? But Perth fans, have a genuine argument for it to change. Talk bad about Perth all you want, but Perth bleeds footy and has a massive fan base and deserve some respect to be honest.

i feel slightly persuaded, good point..... forgot completely about the time difference.

Who gives a **** about the entertainment
I don't care if it it's John Farnham playing at 2.30 it's the grand final that's the entertainment

I don't care if they get ACDC.. if I wanted to see music I wouldn't go to the AFL grandfinal

Who goes for the concerts?
Couldn't care less who the entertainment is, I'm there for the footy and getting on the grog. I'm dead against twilight GF's but Gil gets what he wants

Just lol at people thinking it's to make the pre-game junk look better.

damochandler, if you're not being sarcastic, the reason to start it later is and has always been because more people will watch.

Just lol at people thinking it's to make the pre-game junk look better.

damochandler, if you're not being sarcastic, the reason to start it later is and has always been because more people will watch.
That's a myth and the nrls ratings for the nrl gf are the afl gf numbers. It's complete myth that more people will watch it

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back