VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't some of those rate payers be people who volunteer or are connected to those local sporting clubs?
also
'All community clubs increasing their footprint on ovals/grounds and facilities to close to seven days a week'.
Could be part of the reason local sporting clubs are mindful of schools taking over land IF the lease T&C's are not inline with the opportunity for council to allocate land - where required - to the growing number of participants. Banyule council is already under resourced for sporting grounds, as such this may be part of the reasoning for 'further discussion'.

Some could be, property prices in Melbourne now dictate that a large number of club participants no longer reside within the council boundary.

The finite details of the lease are a matter for council. If they don't have their ratepayers front of mind when these things are put together then it could be argued they aren't doing a thorough job.

Councils asking tenants for a financial contribution to invest in facilities isn't a new thing and these shared cost initiatives will be the way moving forward if you want a new and shiny pavilion.

Some could be, property prices in Melbourne now dictate that a large number of club participants no longer reside within the council boundary.

The finite details of the lease are a matter for council. If they don't have their ratepayers front of mind when these things are put together then it could be argued they aren't doing a thorough job.

Councils asking tenants for a financial contribution to invest in facilities isn't a new thing and these shared cost initiatives will be the way moving forward if you want a new and shiny pavilion.

Agreed GY - I have a fair understanding for council process and I agree that shared costs are spoken about more and more these days as costs spiral. The challenge with this example might be the lease holder being a large private school, so some extra red tape for all parties to wade through. I believe they will get it done, but it will need to be clear on what it looks like for sporting clubs/community usage who are not connected to the school.

AM, if it came across like that I didn't mean it too.

I just felt the objections that were quoted were weak (possibly only ones available) and that wouldn't didn't quite stand up in a for and against comparison. As a rate payer in the area I have no issue with what the proposal is currently and what it is currently going to be.

I'd also raise the point that the general rate paying public over the last decade have had green space in all councils reduced significantly (By available usage hours). All community clubs increasing their footprint on ovals/grounds and facilities to close to seven days a week.
All good GY.

Just feel that typically organised sports use their power, influence, and often affluence to gain user dominance over public parkland. In an increasing way by tipping in big bucks for facilities.

The usual suspects then employ the "Greenies" tag in a pejorative way when it's frequently ordinary ratepayers who see their leisure activity times being whittled away who are pissed off.

There are also some like Max, whose posts I enjoy reading, who don't seem to get the general distinction between ordinary ratepayer access and that of corporate bodies and or collectives generally.

We even have dear old Bedders going to the extreme of wanting to remove woofer owners' reasonable access to local public parkland. Woofer owners who today overwhelmingly do the right thing. Btw we don't have a woofer. At least Bedders lobbying for a tipping comp here seems to have paid off - that should lift his spirits.;)

As a postscript, Max need not be too concerned as I'm very confident Ka-ching, power and influence will win the day for his outfit.

Back to the footy.

All good GY.

Just feel that typically organised sports use their power, influence, and often affluence to gain user dominance over public parkland. In an increasing way by tipping in big bucks for facilities.

The usual suspects then employ the "Greenies" tag in a pejorative way when it's frequently ordinary ratepayers who see their leisure activity times being whittled away who are pissed off.

There are also some like Max, whose posts I enjoy reading, who don't seem to get the general distinction between ordinary ratepayer access and that of corporate bodies and or collectives generally.

We even have dear old Bedders going to the extreme of wanting to remove woofer owners' reasonable access to local public parkland. Woofer owners who today overwhelmingly do the right thing. Btw we don't have a woofer. At least Bedders lobbying for a tipping comp here seems to have paid off - that should lift his spirits.;)

As a postscript, Max need not be too concerned as I'm very confident Ka-ching, power and influence will win the day for his outfit.

Back to the footy.
Say dog owners at the Gunn today doing the wrong thing !

Say dog owners at the Gunn today doing the wrong thing !
Wouldn't have a clue what goes on there, Bedders. Haven't been there for years. We live in the east and this year I've been in Sydney for most of it.

My memory is that the Gunn was a woofer-free zone. The adjoining park was for dog walkers.

My Clubs LGA ask every year how many participants reside within their

Our inner city LGA required a percentage of playing members who resided within its boundaries on its rental agreement each year. You can’t capture that data from registration and nobody challenged 90% response!

My Clubs LGA ask every year how many participants reside within their

Our inner city LGA required a percentage of playing members who resided within its boundaries on its rental agreement each year. You can’t capture that data from registration and nobody challenged 90% response!

Up until recently some clubs couldn't host finals unless they had a team participating in them at the ground. Council wouldn't continue upkeep of a ground for non council teams to play on.

Case in point: DW Lucas pavilion at Dunlop Reserve. $1m each from 3 different entities?

That' right , but they just ignore the signs
Its a problem of epidemic proportions within the whole Glen Eira City Council. I practically love the dog owners who are ignorant to the fact there's a game of sport being played on the ground, that just let there dog crap on the oval whilst the game is on

Its a problem of epidemic proportions within the whole Glen Eira City Council. I practically love the dog owners who are ignorant to the fact there's a game of sport being played on the ground, that just let there dog crap on the oval whilst the game is on
Packer Park on a Saturday has nearly as many dogs as supporters. Two weeks ago game was stopped till players chased a dog and caught it.

Last edited:
Case in point: DW Lucas pavilion at Dunlop Reserve. $1m each from 3 different entities?

Your numbers are a little off there, but yes the junior football club, senior football club and the cricket club all contributed financially to the upgrade. Council scaled back the proposed plans and then grabbed the cheapest contracts that could find, it could have been even better than it currently is.

Still a lot of work to be done at that ground for it be complete.

Your numbers are a little off there, but yes the junior football club, senior football club and the cricket club all contributed financially to the upgrade. Council scaled back the proposed plans and then grabbed the cheapest contracts that could find, it could have been even better than it currently is.

Still a lot of work to be done at that ground for it be complete.
Christ! Its the Taj Mahal compared to what most councils are redeveloping

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the dogs fault , the owners are after a social event not looking what Fido is doing

After trawling through all the threads looking for the weekly tips here are the current standings. Will format this better once Round 6 is completed. Congratulations to yeetgoat and Gia77 for being the only tippers so far to achieve a perfect round (both scored 5/5 in Round 5 Division 3). good luck to all

REMINDER: Minimum 65 tips entered by season's end to qualify for the final leaderboard

=1. rattlesnakes71 80% (4/5)
=1. rightfoot_sloth 80% (4/5)
=1. Raymond Rays 80% (4/5)
=1. Ashtrains 80% (4/5)
=1. lost puppy 80% (4/5)
=6. TheCanvas69 73% (11/15)
=6. Gia77 73% (11/15)
8. yeetgoat 70% (14/20)
=9. footy2016 67% (10/15)
=9. NobsNuffy 67% (10/15)
11. Egg Boy 60% (15/25)
12. bedford 60% (12/20)
=13. Keano15 60% (6/10)
=13. UltimateLemon 60% (6/10)
=15. flat footy 60% (3/5)
=15. Penski 60% (3/5)
=15. CARLTON2011 60% (3/5)
=15. friendofafriendsmate 60% (3/5)
19. eth-dog 55% (11/20)
=20. footydawgs 53% (8/15)
=20. hansie 53% (8/15)
22. oldandfat 52% (13/25)
23. Archangel17 50% (15/30)
24. XXXXAFL 50% (5/10)
25. Backtoback21 40% (4/10)
=26. Mike Olotripo 40% (2/5)
=26. Max Leader 40% (2/5)
=26. SeaSide 40% (2/5)
=26. lettheboysplay 40% (2/5)
=26. JJJason 40% (2/5)
=26. thumbs_up 40% (2/5)

OX destroying the spirit of the Thirds competition.
Back after a relaxing 3 month work sojourn. Briefly the rules allow teams from the same club to be in the same division with strict movement rules between each. This appears to be the perfect scenario for the VAFA rules. It is not OX fault but it is the VAFA admin's job to ensure competitive balance via regrading. Therefore it might be that OX has 2 teams in each of the top 2 thirds divisions. This would reestablish trust in this system. If they sit on their hands and say "too hard" well that would be exactly what some of the posters here expect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back