A Section VAFA Premier 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we won't. My view is that if it was good enough for the Caulfield races - surrounded by big stands and towers and with dough to be lost - to abandon races, then you can't knock umpys in the middle of a match for taking a safe approach.

But you can knock the umps for not waiting until the danger passed and then resuming play. The lightning didn't last for hours and hours. It only went through for about 30 mins (at least where we were down at Brindisi). The Monash Blues game restarted after play was stopped for lightning, and i believe that they only had 3 mins remaining in that game. Sounds like the umps should have done the same elsewhere.

Were the games immediately called off? or was there a wait to see whether play could be resumed? and a decision made after a period of time. If it was called off immediately then that sounds like it's not the right way to go about it.

The welfare of players, officials et al must always be the overriding consideration. No risks should be taken. The consequences of lightning striking a participant or observer would be dire.
That's not the point of contention for me. It's whether the umps in the abandoned games even gave the weather a chance to clear before resuming (which it did) or just decided to pull up stumps at the first sign of lightning.

Not only that, but at least in the coll v sbmt game the captains were given the option as to whether they wanted to go off, which they both declined. Is that something that should have been offered across the games that were called?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

OM's and Beaumaris share the points. As a biased observer at the game clearly either side could have won when the storm hit.

I thought it was whoever was ahead at halftime :s What would have happened if Beaumaris were up by 30+ points?

There's an interesting discussion on exactly this point on the latest VAFA Tragics episode which has just gone up on the VAFA site. Incidently it's not based on whoever is up at half time, but that was something that Nick Armistead thought would be a potential way of going with it in future to resolve this.

There's an interesting discussion on exactly this point on the latest VAFA Tragics episode which has just gone up on the VAFA site. Incidently it's not based on whoever is up at half time, but that was something that Nick Armistead thought would be a potential way of going with it in future to resolve this.
FWIW Beauy aren't happy and they are currently appealing the result. It's not over yet......

That's not the point of contention for me. It's whether the umps in the abandoned games even gave the weather a chance to clear before resuming (which it did) or just decided to pull up stumps at the first sign of lightning.

Not only that, but at least in the coll v sbmt game the captains were given the option as to whether they wanted to go off, which they both declined. Is that something that should have been offered across the games that were called?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The rule is wait 30 minutes, which they did and the lightning still had not cleared. Ateempted to restart the game but as the umpires entered the field there was another bolt of lightning overhead.

Sharing the points is an interesting call, rules are pretty clear that team in front if game abandoned after half time, draw if before.

Umpire is responsible for the safety of everyone including officials so why ask the captains? If umpire says its unsafe then its their call and they made the right one.

There was also a VAFA official at game who agreed with decision, lightning was over the ground and the rules say you dont play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any truth to the rumour from anyone at Beauy & OMS that Matt Thomas was put into the book on the weekend? Suspensions this early are not ideal if true.
Nothing on the VAFA Tribunal page.

Also wondering if Maplebet will pay out on the line at SBMT & Collegians from last week, from chat on here the Purples were predicted to win by 43 goals?

The rule is wait 30 minutes, which they did and the lightning still had not cleared. Ateempted to restart the game but as the umpires entered the field there was another bolt of lightning overhead.

Sharing the points is an interesting call, rules are pretty clear that team in front if game abandoned after half time, draw if before.

Umpire is responsible for the safety of everyone including officials so why ask the captains? If umpire says its unsafe then its their call and they made the right one.

There was also a VAFA official at game who agreed with decision, lightning was over the ground and the rules say you dont play.
this is the best post on this topic.:thumbsu:

st kevies are too short to back for the flag on maplebet.

is there a market for the 2017 1,2,3 woodrow finish?

i would be interested in the odds on m. brown, m. jamar, j schulz.

Beauty, clear and simple...............

FWIW Beauy aren't happy and they are currently appealing the result. It's not over yet......

Don't blame them. They are leading by 2 goals (10 points) at time of abandonment, have kicked the only goal and only score for the quarter, appear to have been in front all day (according to qtr by qtr), opponent needs to kick 2 goals to win but have only managed 5 for previous 3 and bit quarters...

Would hope in the interest of transparency the VAFA explain their ruling here, and not just award the split points and move on in silence.

Don't blame them. They are leading by 2 goals (10 points) at time of abandonment, have kicked the only goal and only score for the quarter, appear to have been in front all day (according to qtr by qtr), opponent needs to kick 2 goals to win but have only managed 5 for previous 3 and bit quarters...

Would hope in the interest of transparency the VAFA explain their ruling here, and not just award the split points and move on in silence.
Who had the wind in the last quarter and how strong was it?

st kevies are too short to back for the flag on maplebet.

is there a market for the 2017 1,2,3 woodrow finish?

i would be interested in the odds on m. brown, m. jamar, j schulz.

I'll take your Woodrow bet-25/1 minimum $100 bet...or were you just stirring again?

Who had the wind in the last quarter and how strong was it?

Wasn't at the game, though there was a strong wind change on Saturday that came in from memory about half way thru Q3, at the ground I was at anyway.

So that would suggest the team who had the wind in Q1 also had it for part of Q3 and all of Q4. Looking at qtr by qtr score, I would then suggest that was Beauy.

Now all the above are assumptions so anyone at the game please feel free to correct me.

Wasn't at the game, though there was a strong wind change on Saturday that came in from memory about half way thru Q3, at the ground I was at anyway.

So that would suggest the team who had the wind in Q1 also had it for part of Q3 and all of Q4. Looking at qtr by qtr score, I would then suggest that was Beauy.

Now all the above are assumptions so anyone at the game please feel free to correct me.

The above is correct.

Beauy won the toss and kicked with the wind for the 1st and half of the 3rd quarter, mid way through the 3rd the wind swayed slightly into OM's favour.

The last quarter started with the wind favouring Beauy up until the players were pulled off the field (with 16 minutes remaining in the last quarter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back