State Victoria - The Mighty Bushrangers

Remove this Banner Ad

Tend to agree,why not Maxwell gets no opportunity to play red cricket and here is his chance.
Because he's playing for Australia 3 days later?

You're the only person on earth who thinks Maxy can play test cricket again.

Because he's playing for Australia 3 days later?

You're the only person on earth who thinks Maxy can play test cricket again.
I’m happy to quote prices on that - he’ll have trouble maintaining his place in the Australian set up in any format after his recent * up. Mail is strong that he’s almost gone.

Pucovski withdrawn due to the effects of delayed concussion which makes the decision to allow him to return to the crease look even more foolish.
Hopefully Cricket Victoria are given a bake for it

At what point do we need to put a line through him?

First, he seems to get hit in the head an extraordinary amount compared to other batsmen. If he has a technical deficiency, what is being done to rectify it? It's hardly something that is going to be less of an issue in tests.

Second, with his frequency of concussions, the chances of him playing two tests in a row seems remote anyway.

First, he seems to get hit in the head an extraordinary amount compared to other batsmen. If he has a technical deficiency, what is being done to rectify it? It's hardly something that is going to be less of an issue in tests.

Second, with his frequency of concussions, the chances of him playing two tests in a row seems remote anyway.
In answer to your questions

He should be managed out into another aspect of the industry.

He has a major technical fault with the short ball - is anyone helping him - No! elite level coaching these days is an echo chamber of fools who have thrown away the basics of batting and get off on “talent”

Your third point is circular which is the reason why he needs to be managed out - no one gets hit in the head more than him - no one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In answer to your questions

He should be managed out into another aspect of the industry.

He has a major technical fault with the short ball - is anyone helping him - No! elite level coaching these days is an echo chamber of fools who have thrown away the basics of batting and get off on “talent”

Your third point is circular which is the reason why he needs to be managed out - no one gets hit in the head more than him - no one

It is really bizarre how far we have regressed.

I remember old stories about Dennis Lillee about how he had to effectively rebuild his action post stress fractures in order to actually have a career.

Here we have in some ways a batting equivalent, someone who will not have a career without major technical changes to his technique. But going back to basics and rebuilding a technique that can physically survive the game is all too hard.

It is really bizarre how far we have regressed.

I remember old stories about Dennis Lillee about how he had to effectively rebuild his action post stress fractures in order to actually have a career.

Here we have in some ways a batting equivalent, someone who will not have a career without major technical changes to his technique. But going back to basics and rebuilding a technique that can physically survive the game is all too hard.
It has always been much harder to remediate batting than bowling.

The batsman is reacting to the bowler and a fast-moving projectile. For an adult you are reversing many years of programming on how to respond.

It doesn't help that Chris Rogers is on radio talking about him playing tests for Australia again.

It doesn't help that Chris Rogers is on radio talking about him playing tests for Australia again.
I really rate Rogers - many years ago (like 20) I did my level 2 with some the Vic Squad over winter. Two stood out…McDonald & Rogers. I’m surprised no one has helped him with it. They’d be better off saying nothing than talking rubbish.

Victoria Sheffield Shield squad vs South Australia: Peter Handscomb (capt), Scott Boland, Xavier Crone, Sam Elliott, Marcus Harris, Sam Harper, Campbell Kellaway, Nic Maddinson, Jon Merlo, Todd Murphy, Fergus O'Neill, Mitch Perry, Tom Rogers
Harris
Rogers
Kellaway
Handscomb
Maddinson
Merlo
Harper
Perry
O'Neill
Murphy
Boland

I daresay that Merlo will get a gig at 6 whilst Sutherland is playing for Australia. 111 in the second XI against Doggett, Conway and Grant (the former pair likely to play the next Shield game) then 139 against Melbourne who probably have the best attack in Grade cricket with O'Neill, Prestwidge, Moody and McGillivray. Hopefully he's finally turned the corner into being a consistent FC cricketer

he has certainly been given chances…

Ash Chandrasinghe has been churning out stacks for Sth… surprised he or the Melbourne lad were not called up. Trav Dean really had to go.

so Boland, ONeill, Murph, Perry and Elliot will form the attack?

he has certainly been given chances…

Ash Chandrasinghe has been churning out stacks for Sth… surprised he or the Melbourne lad were not called up. Trav Dean really had to go.

so Boland, ONeill, Murph, Perry and Elliot will form the attack?
He has 6 FC games and has never played two games in a row. That's not really getting a chance.

Chandrasinghe is averaging 25.5 this year in the second XI. Merlo 47.75.

Merlo will play. As should Rogers. Take out Elliott and that'll be the attack IMO

He has 6 FC games and has never played two games in a row. That's not really getting a chance.

Chandrasinghe is averaging 25.5 this year in the second XI. Merlo 47.75.

Merlo will play. As should Rogers. Take out Elliott and that'll be the attack IMO

hmn… fair but in the games I have seen he looks a long way off.

Plus he is more a batting all rounder. His selections would mark a Shift in selection philosophy which has seen five frontline bowlers playing.

Personally I hope Kellaway doesn’t bat at 3 .

hmn… fair but in the games I have seen he looks a long way off.

Plus he is more a batting all rounder. His selections would mark a Shift in selection philosophy which has seen five frontline bowlers playing.

Personally I hope Kellaway doesn’t bat at 3 .
I reckon Maddinson at 3, Kellaway 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back