Rumour Voss about to walk?

Remove this Banner Ad

Two decades.

I was being kind. Makes the premise even worse though.

You can't buy success, you have to build it from the ground up.

This feels like the year before both Thompson and Hardwick went on their sustained run. Sometimes you need to break it all down and reinvent yourself and your game. Sometimes you need to have patience and stop with all the petty sniping and allow your footy club to be a harmonius place.

How many times a week do you reckon guys like Cripps, Doch, Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Walsh etc. - who are absolute stars in their own right - have to hear about 'how the coach is not good enough, the game plan is not good enough' - and are then absolved of responsibility themselves?

No matter what happens, another coach will go through the revolving door, the players will get a short term spike from 'hope' from the next coach, and the mafia'esque board will pat itself on the back for a job well done...until the players inevitably plateau again - and you do it all over again.

The problem with this is, it's all built around Cripps, and who knows how much more of this he can take. He's 28 now and probably has 3-4 seasons left at most before his body gives out from the intense contested way he's played most of his career. He's never played finals, and never had the same coach for more than 3 years in his life. It'd be mentally draining have so much focus from the board and powerbrokers, rather than just being able to play footy.

It's all a mess, and everyone at the club needs to be examined - not just the head coach anymore. Clearly if you do the same thing 5 times in 10 years and it elicits poor results over and over again, there's something more going on than just on field game plan and the head coach.

Yet over and over again no-one has the courage to say 'butt out' and let things play out for a while. No-one says 'hey let's break the game plan down and figure out what's not working, and get Voss some more help/less responsibility'. Nope sack the head coach and start again.

You only need to look at Dew and how the Suns are going right now, to see what a little patience does. The wheel is finally turning, and the game plan looks to be both sustainable and understood. Maybe the same needs to happen with Voss - and you guys need to try something different for once; like doing nothing and not being so reactionary for a change. Alas I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
I was being kind. Makes the premise even worse though.

You can't buy success, you have to build it from the ground up.

This feels like the year before both Thompson and Hardwick went on their sustained run. Sometimes you need to break it all down and reinvent yourself and your game. Sometimes you need to have patience and stop with all the petty sniping and allow your footy club to be a harmonius place.

How many times a week do you reckon guys like Cripps, Doch, Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Walsh etc. - who are absolute stars in their own right - have to hear about 'how the coach is not good enough, the game plan is not good enough' - and are then absolved of responsibility themselves?

No matter what happens, another coach will go through the revolving door, the players will get a short term spike from 'hope' from the next coach, and the mafia'esque board will pat itself on the back for a job well done...until the players inevitably plateau again - and you do it all over again.

The problem with this is, it's all built around Cripps, and who knows how much more of this he can take. He's 28 now and probably has 3-4 seasons left at most before his body gives out from the intense contested way he's played most of his career. He's never played finals, and never had the same coach for more than 3 years in his life. It'd be mentally draining have so much focus from the board and powerbrokers, rather than just being able to play footy.

It's all a mess, and everyone at the club needs to be examined - not just the head coach anymore. Clearly if you do the same thing 5 times in 10 years and it elicits poor results over and over again, there's something more going on than just on field game plan and the head coach.

Yet over and over again no-one has the courage to say 'butt out' and let things play out for a while. No-one says 'hey let's break the game plan down and figure out what's not working, and get Voss some more help/less responsibility'. Nope sack the head coach and start again.

You only need to look at Dew and how the Suns are going right now, to see what a little patience does. The wheel is finally turning, and the game plan looks to be both sustainable and understood. Maybe the same needs to happen with Voss - and you guys need to try something different for once; like doing nothing and not being so reactionary for a change. Alas I doubt this will happen anytime soon.
Words mean nothing, and I'll believe it when I see it but that is exactly what they appear to have done recently.

"Walk"

Clearly a PR job to create a win-win scenario.
A) Carlton look like they haven't sacked another coach
B) Voss looks like he hasn't been sacked by a second club which half saves his reputation

This would be similar to how Buckley "stepped down"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even the Suns got us at the start of the season.
It's in your best interest (if you want to win) to look elsewhere.
Only if you want to see improvement that is.
I've seen improvement last 2 weeks. It's not the coach , it's the execution.
Now , why have Geelong not improved is a fair enough question don't you think ?

Did you watch the matches on Friday and Saturday night?

When did Carlton last score over 60 points? And this from a team with 2 Coleman Medallists!

Meanwhile, the cats, with their full midfield out, beat a full strength Bulldogs. If that don't improvement, can't wait to see us improve.

Lol you couldn't even beat the Dogs with Walsh, Hewett, Cripps, Kennedy and Cerra at your disposal. We had Blicavs, Atkins, Bruhn, Knevitt and one of Close/Stengle in there.

Not sure I'd be throwing barbs at us when we pulled that win off on sheer grit alone - with our entire first choice midfield missing, against arguably the best and deepest midfield in the comp.

You're also rewriting history re: our early game. You got out of jail in that match, after we played 1 quarter of footy for the entire match - and still nearly beat you when we were at our worst and missing most of our backline. If not for Bruhn (pass missed to a leading forward in space) and Bowes' (shot from 30 out directly in front) awful kicking in the last 5 minutes, we likely would have snatched that as you'd completely gone in your shells and were trying to save the game - much like the Richmond game the week before.

Now with all this said, I'm one of the one's who are saying not to sack Voss, and that it's not all as bad as it seems. When you're attacking us and telling us to 'improve' after making finals 11 of the last 12 years, winning 4 flags and playing in 6 Grand Finals...it's a little bit much coming from the supporter of a side who doesn't even know what Finals look like, in the past decade.

Lol you couldn't even beat the Dogs with Walsh, Hewett, Cripps, Kennedy and Cerra at your disposal. We had Blicavs, Atkins, Bruhn, Knevitt and one of Close/Stengle in there.

Not sure I'd be throwing barbs at us when we pulled that win off on sheer grit alone - with our entire first choicr midfield missing, against arguably the best and deepest midfield in the comp.

You're also rewriting history re: our early game. You got out of jail in that match, after we played 1 quarter of footy for the entire match - and still nearly beat you when we were at our worst and missing most of our backline. If not for Bruhn (pass missed to a leading forward in space) and Bowes' (shot from 30 out directly in front) awful kicking in the last 5 minutes, we likely would have snatched that as you'd completely gone in your shells and were trying to save the game - much like the Richmond game the week before.

Now with all this said, I'm one of the one's who are saying not to sack Voss, and that it's not all as bad as it seems. When you're attacking us and telling us to 'improve' after making finals 11 of the last 12 years, winning 4 flags and playing in 6 Grand Finals...it's a little bit much coming from the supporter of a side who doesn't even know what Finals look like, in the past decade.
I've been around. I've seen Carlton dominate sides for decades. I get that the wheel turns.
That's a long post. Did I agitate you ?

I've been around. I've seen Carlton dominate sides for decades. I get that the wheel turns.
That's a long post. Did I agitate you ?

Perhaps read the whole thing before replying.

Honestly, nah. Just found it a little sad and a little bit rich, given where you guys currently find yourselves - once again.

You haven't 'dominated' sides in the 16/18 team AFL era, so probably not something I'd hang my hat on. Although it is indicative of some Carlton people's mentality, and their almost entitled belief to be successful, so not an entirely unsurprising response either - given this is the exact issue that seems to have permeated your club via your supporter base/powerbrokers/board, for the past 2+ decades.

Perhaps read the whole thing before replying.

Honestly, nah. Just found it a little sad and a little bit rich, given where you guys currently find yourselves - once again.

You haven't 'dominated' sides in the 16/18 team AFL era, so probably not something I'd hang my hat on. Although it is indicative of some Carlton people's mentality, and their almost entitled belief to be successful, so not an entirely unsurprising response either - given this is the exact issue that seems to have permeated your club via your supporter base/powerbrokers/board, for the past 2+ decades.
This may be true , but it's no different to you entitled Geelong folk thinking that they will always be successful. Their turn will come.
Back on track - Michael Voss- who here has a crystal ball to say that any other coach would be better or worse ?

This may be true , but it's no different to you entitled Geelong folk thinking that they will always be successful. Their turn will come.
Back on track - Michael Voss- who here has a crystal ball to say that any other coach would be better or worse ?

The difference is, we have to work for it and basically never accept mediocrity at the club. We've never finished below 12th in the AFL era, and never won a spoon in the AFL era. We are happy not to completely bottom out, and rebuild on the run. Our time will come this time, but we won't continuously rebuild because it's just not in our DNA. We focus on culture, development and making our club a destination place to be, rather than just thinking it will happen because it has in the past.

Carlton are my second team by virtue of my partner, so I'm not just throwing out BS here for the sake of it. Year after year I tell her 'this is the year, things will be different, you guys are primed'...and year after year she's proven right in her statement of 'nah, they'll find a way to f*ck it all up - it's Carlton.'

It's bizarre, and it really just can't be the coach anymore. She was so upset when Teague left, as she genuinely liked him and you could see the players did too. Which I think is a good example of giving a head coach more support and less responsibility, and delegating more to the assistants. I think if the Carlton board had banded together and said 'nope he's our man and we believe in his vision for the future', things may have been very different.

Look at GC, look at Port and even look at Richmond in 2016. Constantly these coaches were getting told they should be sacked, and constantly the powers that be stood by them. Now Dew and Hinkley are doing fantastic this year, and we all know what happened with Hardwick and Richmond's fortunes in 2017.

It's just, it's so bizarre how Carlton never seem to go 'hey, maybe our board, powerbrokers and our constant air of entitlement when it comes to being successful, is what's ruining this club. Maybe we should take a step back and let the players just play footy without the weight of the world on their shoulders every week, and figure out how we can best support our current coach in Voss.'

You only need to look back to 2021/2022 off season, to see how much of a difference one good pre-season with adjustments can make. Scott reviewed himself, and we changed everything about our game plan, the way we train, and even abolished line coaches altogether - in order to allow greater input from all the assistants.

It's possible to do the same with Voss, but he needs to have additional support, and the players need to have the weight of responsibility removed from their shoulders. Otherwise, Cripps will finish up never having played Finals,.and the club will go through yet another rebuild and waste some of the best talent they've ever had.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back