Rumour Voss about to walk?

Remove this Banner Ad

How many coaches do Carlton need to sack before they realise it isnt actually the coaches fault the club sucks?

They have 2x Coleman medalists, a Brownlow winner, a top 3 Brownlow player, Saad and Weitering AA defenders. There's no excuse for being s**t across multiple coaches reigns

That said Walsh is a stat padder, Saad turns it over as much as he doesnt, and McKay has gone to shite

North has had six coaches since 2019 I'd suggest they are worse

Scott, Shaw, Noble, Adams, Clackson and now Ratten
Including Scott, Adams and Ratten in that is just ridiculous.

Scott was there for nearly 10 years...
Adams was a caretaker only ever intended to be a caretaker after Noble was sacked mid-season.
Ratten is there because of Clarkson's issues which have nothing to do with North Melbourne.

Shaw and Noble were both terrible appointments, there's no arguing that but the way you have crafted the 6 coaches thing is comically dumb.

Carlton needs to get rid of Cripps. He's a great player at times, but he's a cultural cancer.

Send him back to WA while West Coast has good assets to trade with, hit the draft.

You can't have the tail wagging the dog.
He's 28 and looks to be in serious decline.
Him leaving Carlton (after carrying them on his back for a decade) and going to the Eagles would hurt both clubs.

He's 28 and looks to be in serious decline.
Him leaving Carlton (after carrying them on his back for a decade) and going to the Eagles would hurt both clubs.
plotting episode 4 GIF

The difference is, we have to work for it and basically never accept mediocrity at the club. We've never finished below 12th in the AFL era, and never won a spoon in the AFL era. We are happy not to completely bottom out, and rebuild on the run. Our time will come this time, but we won't continuously rebuild because it's just not in our DNA. We focus on culture, development and making our club a destination place to be, rather than just thinking it will happen because it has in the past.

Carlton are my second team by virtue of my partner, so I'm not just throwing out BS here for the sake of it. Year after year I tell her 'this is the year, things will be different, you guys are primed'...and year after year she's proven right in her statement of 'nah, they'll find a way to f*ck it all up - it's Carlton.'

It's bizarre, and it really just can't be the coach anymore. She was so upset when Teague left, as she genuinely liked him and you could see the players did too. Which I think is a good example of giving a head coach more support and less responsibility, and delegating more to the assistants. I think if the Carlton board had banded together and said 'nope he's our man and we believe in his vision for the future', things may have been very different.

Look at GC, look at Port and even look at Richmond in 2016. Constantly these coaches were getting told they should be sacked, and constantly the powers that be stood by them. Now Dew and Hinkley are doing fantastic this year, and we all know what happened with Hardwick and Richmond's fortunes in 2017.

It's just, it's so bizarre how Carlton never seem to go 'hey, maybe our board, powerbrokers and our constant air of entitlement when it comes to being successful, is what's ruining this club. Maybe we should take a step back and let the players just play footy without the weight of the world on their shoulders every week, and figure out how we can best support our current coach in Voss.'

You only need to look back to 2021/2022 off season, to see how much of a difference one good pre-season with adjustments can make. Scott reviewed himself, and we changed everything about our game plan, the way we train, and even abolished line coaches altogether - in order to allow greater input from all the assistants.

It's possible to do the same with Voss, but he needs to have additional support, and the players need to have the weight of responsibility removed from their shoulders. Otherwise, Cripps will finish up never having played Finals,.and the club will go through yet another rebuild and waste some of the best talent they've ever had.
Really what does it matter if Cripps plays finals or not....plenty of players and star players have not played finals or maybe played one or two at best. It happens and seriously Cripps is just a good ordinary player especially over the last 4 years. Carlton fans should be only concerned about the future years not weather Cripps will retire with a finals game under his belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a club screwed over as many coaches in the history of football?

No coach in his right mind should take a job at Cartlon. They have a toxic corrupt board, with Presidents and board members involved in criminal behavior for the past 50 years. The culture is probably worst than Essendon, because it's been going on for 3 times as long. Seems they love the Carlton fake Mafia image.
Carlton job is cursed
Your almost guaranteed to be sacked

Carlton job is cursed
Your almost guaranteed to be sacked
Yep, pretty much.

You'd have no chance fronting up to the interview process and trying to explain to them the shortcomings in their list and the fact it will like take 3 to 4 years of drafting and trading to get the list anywhere near it needs to be to contend.

They'd laugh you out the door and explain to you 'Don't you realise we have Cripps, Curnow, McKay, Walsh and Weitering? All the pieces are already there!'

Got to agree with this. North have had issues, but nowhere near the level of Carlton instability.

Off the top of my head (since 2010), something like:

North - B. Scott, Noble, Clarkson (current)

Carlton - Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton, Teague, Voss (current)

2 extra coaches in that time frame, is pretty damn awful. 1 coach every 3 years over the last 14 years, basically.

Since 2011 Geelong has had:

Chris Scott (current) - that is all.
Since 1989 Geelong have had four coaches (Blight, Ayres, Thompson, Scott) with 0 sacked.

Yep, pretty much.

You'd have no chance fronting up to the interview process and trying to explain to them the shortcomings in their list and the fact it will like take 3 to 4 years of drafting and trading to get the list anywhere near it needs to be to contend.

They'd laugh you out the door and explain to you 'Don't you realise we have Cripps, Curnow, McKay, Walsh and Weitering? All the pieces are already there!'
Yep
Their list is overrated internally and the media constantly pump them up.

Got to agree with this. North have had issues, but nowhere near the level of Carlton instability.

Off the top of my head (since 2010), something like:

North - B. Scott, Noble, Clarkson (current)

Carlton - Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton, Teague, Voss (current)

2 extra coaches in that time frame, is pretty damn awful. 1 coach every 3 years over the last 14 years, basically.

Since 2011 Geelong has had:

Chris Scott (current) - that is all.
You're thinking of this all wrong.

Carlton are helping to keep the economy afloat by providing frequent job openings and opportunities.

Yep, pretty much.

Mmmm, it seems to permeate throughout the club, its supporter base, and basically anything to do with Carlton.

Even Essendon supporters seem more grounded, despite all their turmoil. It's quite bizarre to me that even after 2 decades of this that people aligned with Carlton still have no patience or no ability to look inward.

Reading the list management board, there's some on there now wanting to turf everyone including Cripps and Doch. This is kinda disturbing to even contemplate that for mine - as they're the heart and soul of the club. You get rid of them, and many, many others will join the exodus too.

There's a good core, but outside of those players, there's very few consistent role players who you can depend on every week. I'd take Cripps (not currently though), Curnow, Docherty, Walsh, Weitering, Saad, Cerra and maybe TDK (as we likely will), Hollands, Cottrell and Kemp as young talent, but outside of that, it drops off dramatically. This is everyone else who's played at least 1 AFL game:

H. McKay (solid, but massive mental yips to the point of hampering the team and sapping confidence)
Hewett (role player, but far too many inside mids so dropped, subbed, or played out of position)
Fisher
M. Kennedy (same as Hewett)
J. Motlop
Owies
L. Young
M. McGovern (injury prone, overpaid and lazy)
Newman
Z. Williams (gun but just too injury prone and overpaid as a result)
Acres
J. Martin (injury prone)
Marchbank (injury prone)
Cunningham (injury prone)
J. Silvagni (looked good last year, but dropped off a cliff since)
Pittonet
L. O'Brien
Honey
Philp
Durdin
J. Boyd
Cincotta
Plowman
Cowan
L. Fogarty
E. Curnow
Dow
Carroll
S. Durdin

It's seriously bad reading for a side who has had so many Top 10 picks and so long rebuilding, changing coaches - and what do they have to show for it? A bottom 6 that most weeks wouldn't get a game with a Bottom 6 club...and a salary cap at breaking point, where players who are quite honestly useless, are getting paid more than guys who could actually be decent players if they weren't getting shafted in favour of others.

Whole thing is a mess, and their list is getting worse by the year, as the good players they do have, either age/decline in performance. Worst thing is barely any of them have played finals in their lives, 2 have played in a GF, and none have ever won a flag.

I think the thing that would be hardest for all the Carlton faithful to admit, is that maybe their list just isn't that good outside of their top end? Lot of high picks burned, but barely any development and constant breakdowns in the playing group.

I thought it had passed when Voss came in along with Cook, and some of the old heads left...but alas...it's here to stay.

Hell, I'd take our list just knowing what our development is no matter the picks - and we have nowhere near the amount of raw talent/high picks that Carlton have/had.

Like I said, a mess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back