State Focus WA 2020 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rohan Scurria is another who is unfortunate not to get the chance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Scurria and Kemp def unlucky. Also Motlop, Warner, Connor and Woewodin- all bottom agers who played PSA this year but only 2 Colts games.
One wonders if they could only nominate a certain amount of bottom aged kids so gave those spots to kids who had played more games for colts.

I watched most of the EF V WP game. My thoughts on EF and especially the kids who made the 18’s squad.
Warner bog for me. Good ball use especially in the crappy weather. Decision making at times could be a little sharper. Still unsure why he didn’t get in the 18’s. I wonder if he had a point to prove about his non-selection.
Gorringe- likes his game. Tough and a real competitor.
Haddow was very good. I have found him inconsistent this season but finishing the year well. Not enough done this year to get drafted.
I have no idea how/why Jack williams got in the U18’s. He had that one good game a few weeks ago when they first put him in attack. I watched him closely since then and today to see what they see in him but I couldn’t tell you. Dropped his head after losing the first contest and not sure if he even touched the ball all day.
Still not sold on Hagan. I know this is an unpopular view - he is a good story. Finds the ball but doesn’t do it for me. There’s a dime a dozen midfielders across Australia like him so unless he grows I think he will not make the final cut after an amazing resume from ages 12-15/16. Could be the greatest wafl player though. Kept getting him and baverstock mixed up - same height and same haircut.
Walker twins are growing each game- Brandon > Chris. Both did their job today.
josh Browne- clever little footballer who probably deserves his spot in the 18’s just to see where he can go. Dad played AFL and is a current EF and state 16’s coach so that could have got him over the line for 18’s selection albeit he deserves it as well.
Curley- barely noticed him.
I thought it was a good team effort in terrible conditions. Looking forward to seeing what they can do next week against Subi.

Thanks for the write up mate....great win by the EF boys.....tough ask v Subi next week, but you gotta be in it to win it I guess. Even more meritorious considering EF best draft chance in Carroll was out.....hopefully Williams can kick a few v Subi next week for the team

I hope O'Driscoll & Jack.C fall to us for our first 2 picks.
Assuming we do not get bids on our academies.
I am keen for west oz talent as I don't think we can afford to keep any more Vic lads around.

Last edited:
Comprehensive win by Subi over EF in the colts prelim....sets up a cracking GF between Cl and Subi....the best two teams this shortened season. Not the finish EF wanted, but in the grand scheme of things, they did well to make the prelim. Obviously Carroll and B Walker on the radar for drafting, and perhaps Gorringe too.

Subi's Futures side also handily dealt with the only other unbeaten side up to that point - Swans. They have some serious size and play with the right amount of aggression.

I have a kid in Swannies colts and it really hits home, as you get closer to it, how pointy the pointy end is. Less than 1 per cent of age-eligible blokes get picked for AFL. List reductions make that an even flukier hole to squeeze through. No amount of preparation, tenacity and *en hard work can cover the near random elements that creep into it at this point. So many talented hard-working blokes left to make sense of what happens after the dream dissolves.

The WAFC really need to look at the TAC Cup and US competitions to realise the commercial viability of this tier of competition. People wanted to watch the streamed PSA games. Grab a hold of the investment people can have at this age and make something of it. Properly pump the thing up for what it is, not just as a stepping stone for a NTTAWWTteenth to step through. Give it the recognition getting there deserves.

Eas
Subi's Futures side also handily dealt with the only other unbeaten side up to that point - Swans. They have some serious size and play with the right amount of aggression.

I have a kid in Swannies colts and it really hits home, as you get closer to it, how pointy the pointy end is. Less than 1 per cent of age-eligible blokes get picked for AFL. List reductions make that an even flukier hole to squeeze through. No amount of preparation, tenacity and fu**en hard work can cover the near random elements that creep into it at this point. So many talented hard-working blokes left to make sense of what happens after the dream dissolves.

The WAFC really need to look at the TAC Cup and US competitions to realise the commercial viability of this tier of competition. People wanted to watch the streamed PSA games. Grab a hold of the investment people can have at this age and make something of it. Properly pump the thing up for what it is, not just as a stepping stone for a NTTAWWTteenth to step through. Give it the recognition getting there deserves.
East Fremantle Futures beat Swans this year back in July. Is that comp you are talking about?

East Fremantle Futures beat Swans this year back in July. Is that comp you are talking about?
Yep. That was the Swans B side - just making sure all the boys in the squad got a guernsey after the sting was gone from the Rona-affected comp. That same B side was beaten by Perth - despite the A side smacking Perth by 90-odd points earlier in the year when the actual comp was on. The A side was unbeaten and played Subi in what was regarded as the unofficial "decider".

None of it means anything - except for my observation that the Subi side were a cut above anything else I saw.

Yep. That was the Swans B side - just making sure all the boys in the squad got a guernsey after the sting was gone from the Rona-affected comp. That same B side was beaten by Perth - despite the A side smacking Perth by 90-odd points earlier in the year when the actual comp was on. The A side was unbeaten and played Subi in what was regarded as the unofficial "decider".

None of it means anything - except for my observation that the Subi side were a cut above anything else I saw.
Yeah fair point. Although I am fairly sure no two teams played each other twice so not sure how or when the Perth team beat the ‘Swans- B’ side in the post-Corona games. For the record, most clubs were playing not quite a B side but rotated all their players through for Rounds 4 and 5 post Corona and then played their best side for round 6. So teams were playing their depth so to speak and not true B sides and all teams were so effectively it made things as even as it could be. I watched that swans v east freo game and by no means were they both at full strength but they also definitely both had some of their top players involved. It wasn’t a swans B side V east freo A side by any means.

Got hold of the state 16’s team lists from last weeks game. WAFC are so secretive about it but they apparently handed the lists out at the game. Wish they’d do a write up of the game/s. Did anyone go?
CFF80A74-5646-4387-A916-E8F5E13A139E.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Bevan is missing from that list so I assume it doesn't include players who are already in the squad but rather a trial for the final spots.

Kane Bevan is missing from that list so I assume it doesn't include players who are already in the squad but rather a trial for the final spots.
No I don’t think that is the case. There were some not playing for various other reasons (colts grand final, injury etc).

Not many EF or SD boys there BigDance ....usually both those clubs provide half a dozen each....
2004 EF batch have never been that strong bar a couple of kids who got named in this. One more was Griffin Vladich but he is injured.

Not sure how they were chosen or if it all means not much but there is a three way game of 2004 born kids between Eagles NGA, Dockers NGA and a WAFL Futures all Stars team next week at Cockburn Arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back