State Focus WA 2021 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Brave effort in unfamiliar conditions and up against some dubious umpiring. Some players outstanding, some disappointing, 1 or 2 not up to this level imo.

SA 8-8
WA 7-11
Goals: M Williams 2, Sanchez 2, Cleaver, Brown, Scaife 1
My Best: Curtin, Busslinger, Gilbey, Michael, Cleaver, Sanchez, C Williams, Condon

Frees
SA 22
WA 9
Besides those I thought Hewett (19 disposals) played a strong game, Bourne looked dangerous but uncharacteristically kicking 0.4 is costly. Busslinger lead the way in terms of stats (26 disposals & 18 marks). The backs as a whole kept them in the game, forward line structure and ability particularly in the first half was lacking.

How did Hagan go? I thought he would be the dominant one since he also in the 19s

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Was solid when involved but a bit quiet. They're clearly worried about that shoulder injury, he spent a fair bit of time on the bench and hardly went in the midfield.

Not sure the point of playing Hagan if there are concerns for his shoulder....obviously at this age group the kid is one of WA's best, having him on the bench for apparently long periods isn't helping the team is it?...11 possessions and 7 tackles in game one....definitely low par for Hagan's normal output....sounds like his EF team mate in Jack Cleaver survived the game and showed some silk, despite not having his EF buddy to feed him possessions.....I see Sanchez kicked a couple of goals....likely sort apparently.....sadly the WA boys fell short by 3 points, plenty of missed opportunities and some "home side" umpiring helped SA get over the line...

Not sure the point of playing Hagan if there are concerns for his shoulder....obviously at this age group the kid is one of WA's best, having him on the bench for apparently long periods isn't helping the team is it?...11 possessions and 7 tackles in game one....definitely low par for Hagan's normal output....sounds like his EF team mate in Jack Cleaver survived the game and showed some silk, despite not having his EF buddy to feed him possessions.....I see Sanchez kicked a couple of goals....likely sort apparently.....sadly the WA boys fell short by 3 points, plenty of missed opportunities and some "home side" umpiring helped SA get over the line...
Some of the umpiring bordered on cheating...

Some of the umpiring bordered on cheating...

Especially the one at the end when SA got their last goal, the SA player had one WA player holding one arm and another holding the other with the ball and he just threw it out and the umpire was right in front of him. Plus the run down tackle by Gilbey on I think Rahul and the sling tackle that was paid as holding the ball that then became a 50. Boys should hold their heads high thought.. well most, there were a few passengers.
Cleaver was solid but occasionally he was a bit rabbit in the headlights in the contest and just dumped it, Sanchez can play but he could learn to tackle and there was a few junk possessions down back with the attempted switches but after a few more games and getting to know each other better that will tighten up. Hopefully they bring in Riley Hardeman from Swan Districts on the half back, theres a bit of X factor about that kid. He’d really compliment Curtin and Buslinger but for me the stars down back were Tholstrup and Carbone, in the second half they were the ones that created the rebound that kept WA in the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Especially the one at the end when SA got their last goal, the SA player had one WA player holding one arm and another holding the other with the ball and he just threw it out and the umpire was right in front of him. Plus the run down tackle by Gilbey on I think Rahul and the sling tackle that was paid as holding the ball that then became a 50. Boys should hold their heads high thought.. well most, there were a few passengers.
Cleaver was solid but occasionally he was a bit rabbit in the headlights in the contest and just dumped it, Sanchez can play but he could learn to tackle and there was a few junk possessions down back with the attempted switches but after a few more games and getting to know each other better that will tighten up. Hopefully they bring in Riley Hardeman from Swan Districts on the half back, theres a bit of X factor about that kid. He’d really compliment Curtin and Buslinger but for me the stars down back were Tholstrup and Carbone, in the second half they were the ones that created the rebound that kept WA in the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tholstrup was impressive.

I've never seen him play anywhere but FF/FP for Subiaco.

Can be dynamic around goals and would like to see him in front of the sticks for at least one game.

Carbone really lifted in the last quarter. Nice left boot too.

Re this years draft. With all the footy the Vic boys are now playing, I see quite a bit of movement in the draft boards- Vic boys moving up and WA/SA kids down. More reflective of a normal year. The KPP are interesting- at one stage WA kids had them covered but it seems WA kpp are slowly slipping down. I still think tall forwards in particular from WA should be playing league to be taken seriously as a high end pick. Think Logan McDonald.

Also, Motlop now seems cemented in top 50’s of draft watchers whereas he wasn’t featuring even a few months ago. Has anyone seen him play recently- he must be doing something right.

Interesting to see Corey Warner's selection for EF league side v Peel on Sat....not sure where that has come from, especially since he has played more PSA then colts and more so because Josh Browne has been EF colts best player all season.....would of thought Browne and Jack Williams were closer to a league debut then Warner....but hey good luck to the young man.

Interesting to see Corey Warner's selection for EF league side v Peel on Sat....not sure where that has come from, especially since he has played more PSA then colts and more so because Josh Browne has been EF colts best player all season.....would of thought Browne and Jack Williams were closer to a league debut then Warner....but hey good luck to the young man.
Interesting and slightly confusing move- I’d have to agree with you there. Is there a higher power directing this selection? Does that even happen? Browne and Williams have already done enough for their name to be called out on draft night, not so much Warner. I see Van Rooyen named as CHB in league- this could be a move directed from above to see what he can do, but not sure about a league selection being forced.

Surely the powers above would also want to see how Browne and Williams match up v older players as well.....Warner will be lucky to be drafted going off current drafting boards....is he even a walk up start in the WA U/19 team?.....Browne and Williams definitely would be.

Surely the powers above would also want to see how Browne and Williams match up v older players as well.....Warner will be lucky to be drafted going off current drafting boards....is he even a walk up start in the WA U/19 team?.....Browne and Williams definitely would be.
I think Warner is amongst the best players in WA, has AFL traits and I’d think he is a guarantee to make the squad.

Agree with you. PSA performance is hardly a measure to gain league selection so it must be something else.
There sure are a lot of midfielders in the 19’s squad- interesting to see where Warner fits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Browne has been EF's best player, but there's no room for an accumulating mid in the EF midfield. However a player who looks to play on and kick long inside 50 at all times is exactly what the league team needs and that's Warner. I would have liked to see Williams play league footy, especially given that there's one fit good key position player (Jupp) left on the list, and then Taylor's come in to help.

Looks like Warner held his own on debut for EF, with EF finals aspirations dead n buried, hopefully other youngsters in Browne, Williams and McMillan get some league footy.....nothing to lose and time for EF coaching staff to get creative....worked with Warner and enticing Harry Taylor down south.

Browne has been EF's best player, but there's no room for an accumulating mid in the EF midfield. However a player who looks to play on and kick long inside 50 at all times is exactly what the league team needs and that's Warner. I would have liked to see Williams play league footy, especially given that there's one fit good key position player (Jupp) left on the list, and then Taylor's come in to help.

Reckon there might be room now for an accumulating mid in EF side now....especially after EF current mids got smashed by Peel....looks like Taylor will need some assistance up front, thus Williams might get a go sooner rather then later

Reckon there might be room now for an accumulating mid in EF side now....especially after EF current mids got smashed by Peel....looks like Taylor will need some assistance up front, thus Williams might get a go sooner rather then later
I agree. Browne and williams have both done enough to get a gig. Although now it looks like EF Colts will need to be careful about winning enough games to make finals. PSA kids should all be available again this weekend so may have to go with best available team. After that they lose PSA and then probably u19’s and U17’s I would assume at one point. So this could affect the better performing Colts players needing to stay in Colts to get the wins. Most clubs play finals at full strength after PSA etc finished but you need to get there first.

I've noticed Williams' goal numbers have dropped off the last few weeks and hit outs have shot up, I'm guessing they have been using him more as a ruck than a forward recently - anyone out west able to confirm that?

I've noticed Williams' goal numbers have dropped off the last few weeks and hit outs have shot up, I'm guessing they have been using him more as a ruck than a forward recently - anyone out west able to confirm that?

Very true mate, EF colts regular ruckman Kobe McMillan has been promoted to EF reserves, resulting in Williams playing as the colts number one ruck. With Paddy Cripps brother Josh back in the fold post ACL, Cripps may ruck now, he stands at 199cm, but been out for a year, thus allowing Williams to go back as the key forward. EF colts team is quite small this year.

Is there a WA 17s v WA 19s game on Sat? The West is live streaming the game I believe....that's if you want to pay for it! Does Warner play league for EF or suit up for the 19s? Ditto for JVR at Cl and Avery at Perth? Who gets right of way?

Is there a WA 17s v WA 19s game on Sat? The West is live streaming the game I believe....that's if you want to pay for it! Does Warner play league for EF or suit up for the 19s? Ditto for JVR at Cl and Avery at Perth? Who gets right of way?
League sides get right of way. Warner and Avery are playing, as is Gorringe, possibly Motlop. van Rooyen isn't after being dropped after a shocking game last week against Souths.

League sides get right of way. Warner and Avery are playing, as is Gorringe, possibly Motlop. van Rooyen isn't after being dropped after a shocking game last week against Souths.
Did you go to the game? I see there is a West article behind a paywall. Can anyone share it? Im assuming the game was one way traffic - men V boys? Or close enough

Did you go to the game? I see there is a West article behind a paywall. Can anyone share it? Im assuming the game was one way traffic - men V boys? Or close enough
Draft Central will have notes from the game coming out tomorrow night. Was almost a 100 point win for 19s

Matt Johnson and Kade Dittmar the standouts for 19s team and Elijah Hewett and Sam Gilbey for 17s.

Draft Central will have notes from the game coming out tomorrow night. Was almost a 100 point win for 19s

Matt Johnson and Kade Dittmar the standouts for 19s team and Elijah Hewett and Sam Gilbey for 17s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back