Toast Welcome Ben Jarman - Rookie F/S Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

How many kids get significantly fitter and faster after 18?
Fitter certainly

Gary Ablett Jnr, Bernie Vince

Faster not much. Minor, incremental improvement maybe

wish we knew more than 3+, there would have been plenty over 3 seconds but there's a big difference between 3.1 and 3.4

pretty poor beep test for someone looking to make a living out of being an athlete though. Make no mistake, that is a great run from Berry and he hasn't just rocked up and laid that down, there's serious work behind that. Even then blokes at the combine in the past have pulled out 16's which is pretty unreal for amateur kids but that's where the league is going I guess, standards will continue to rise.

I'm still waiting for weight training to take off, its unbelievable how skinny some of these guys are.

Are you sure about 16's? Fairly sure Hartung holds the record with a 15 score.

Leading the way...:)

480530-tlsgallerylandscape_zpsc5bs7tnh.jpg

Who is the kid on the far right? Like the cut of his jib.

Fitter certainly

Gary Ablett Jnr, Bernie Vince

Faster not much. Minor, incremental improvement maybe

Fitness definitely improves far beyond 18. Coaching of better running techniques can improve speed and movement. Lyons employed a running coach to assist with this, it certainly helped him cover the ground a bit better.

Watched the presser of jars and jars jnr again. Poor Benny, his body language was telling and the old man's comments... They were disappointed and its a s**t situation. If he was round 1-3 we would have done the old Bryce Gibbs announcement.
Anyway, just what perceived.
He has a chance and all worked out well. Been winning a few hands lately.

Given his height how does he compare with some other vertically challenged players like. Caleb ,Eddie, Laird etc.

On those sprint times
Lairdy was 2.91? I think??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's top of the pile when it comes to the skills & decision making tests. He's the complete opposite when it comes to the athletic tests - pretty much bottom 10% across the board at the Draft Camp. He definitely has tools to work with, but he has some fairly significant weaknesses that will need a lot of work before he makes his AFL debut.

But surely enhancing your athletic abilities is just hard work and patience? Natural skills and abilities are harder to teach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But surely enhancing your athletic abilities is just hard work and patience? Natural skills and abilities are harder to teach?
Hard work and improved techniques will only take you so far. Genetics has a fair bit to say on the subject as well.

Right now his athletic abilities are well below par for an AFL player. It remains to be seen whether an AFL training program is capable of bringing them up to scratch.

wish we knew more than 3+, there would have been plenty over 3 seconds but there's a big difference between 3.1 and 3.4

pretty poor beep test for someone looking to make a living out of being an athlete though. Make no mistake, that is a great run from Berry and he hasn't just rocked up and laid that down, there's serious work behind that. Even then blokes at the combine in the past have pulled out 16's which is pretty unreal for amateur kids but that's where the league is going I guess, standards will continue to rise.

I'm still waiting for weight training to take off, its unbelievable how skinny some of these guys are.
3.06 s

Jarman ran a 3.06 s 20m sprint as his best time

Certainly not terrible
I would say he's approximately in the 3.05 - 3.1 range
Sorry - correction

It was actually 3.036 which was in top 53% - not too bad at all

The beep test was 12.7

Meanwhile Sharenberg ran a 12.5 beep- surely he was injured !!!

sorry correction see above

Remove this Banner Ad

Back