List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Heavily disagree. Playing a player in a different position to where they have performed well is setting them up for failure. Inside mid vs pure wing are very different roles. He also doesn’t have the tools to succeed in that position.

Here is a strange thought. Pick him in the position he has actually excelled and in.
Who's place does he take while Chesser keeps getting a game?

Has Chesser even played WAFL ? let alone dominate as an inside mid there?

WAFL yes, unsure of role

He played 3 WAFL games last year after hurting his knee in the derby.

He played inside mid, and looked far more composed than when playing wing.

He played well without being dominant. On managed minutes from memory. Played well in a team that was getting flogged.

Schoey keeps going on about how he should play WAFL for an extended period for his development and to get his confidence up

I disagreed initially but I now feel he may have a point
He said the opposite during the derby. I agree it should be what we do though. Not going to get confidence out of running around not touching it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you could play gary ablett on our defensive wing and people would still call him s**t

that role is a black hole, has been since we stuck greg clarke there, its where midfielders go to die
It is but it is also about who we've had playing there. Feels like we've got 3 or 4 playing the dead wing role at the moment.

Wilson, Windsor, Hollands, Clohesy all youngins who play that role but manage to get involved. Maybe its also due to a coaching, gameplan thing with the Eagles but he still needs to find a way to contribute offensively.

Not sure why Trew "clearly isn't a wingman". Just because he's dominating at WAFL level in one position doesn't infer he cant play in another position, a position that doesn't have iron clad requirements like the ruck. The logic is twofold; reward good performance and penalise poor performance. Trew literally couldn't do less than Chesser has so far and may just do better.
Cause he is a pure inside mid and always been. Would be a bit different is he was more of a balanced mid.

Interesting, because I notice you're a sponsor of Greg Clark who played inside mid for Subi, but wing for West Coast.
Clark was a wingmen that turned himself into an inside mid a few years ago. While I didn’t agree with simmo using him as a wingmen he at least knows how to play as an outside mid and actually has great endurance.

Both Chesser and Hunt have been virtually non-existent on the wings over the past two weeks.
Think this point has been missed a bit. Hunt has been well down on last season when he was virtually our only player providing reliable drive out of the back half.

I think this reflects a change in game style as much as anything. We're playing through the corridor and moving the ball far more directly than we did last year. That's a good thing, even if it means guys like Hunt have less influence.

Watching at the ground a couple of times, Hunt's workrate has been fine - he's still running hard and providing an option, just not being used as much. Chesser's major flaw is not getting to the right spots often enough - when he gets it he looks pretty good, especially by hand. Agree that he could use a stint in the WAFL though to get up to speed and build confidence

Interesting, because I notice you're a sponsor of Greg Clark who played inside mid for Subi, but wing for West Coast.
And Clarke was s**t for us in that role. Was far too slow and skills weren’t up to it. Simpson has been heavily critiqued for using Clarke on the wing rather than as inside mid. Just further evidence to not play trew out of position.

It is but it is also about who we've had playing there. Feels like we've got 3 or 4 playing the dead wing role at the moment.

Wilson, Windsor, Hollands, Clohesy all youngins who play that role but manage to get involved. Maybe its also due to a coaching, gameplan thing with the Eagles but he still needs to find a way to contribute offensively.
He doesn't get involved, runs hard waiting for others to get the footy. Time to blood someone else

He doesn't get involved, runs hard waiting for others to get the footy. Time to blood someone else
He waits for someone else to get the football because that’s his role lol. If anything he is more an inside mid not a winger.

He waits for someone else to get the football because that’s his role lol. If anything he is more an inside mid not a winger.
When it's his turn he still hangs back. Sometimes it is just your turn. I am still yet to be convinced he has the ticker. No question on skill, but that doesn't cut the mustard at AFL level unfortunately

I don't laugh when he should run through and get the footy and 2 opponents burn him to it, especially when they start behind him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back