List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s had a couple of low disposal games. But also, out of his 8 games this year he has been subbed on or off in 3 of them.

If we take his player rating as a way to measure impact or effectiveness we can see he has a slow, but clear trend of improvement.

Comparing Chesser’s 2024 to 2023 we can see small improvement in everything except disposals, and he has played less time on ground (68.4% in 2024 and 73.1% in 2023).

Despite the less TOG Chesser is averaging

• more contested possessions
  • more inside 50’s
  • higher disposal efficiency
  • higher kicking efficiency
  • more score involvements
  • improved avg player rating from 3.11 to 6.72
  • higher metres gained

The improvements aren’t huge, but we are comparing all of last season, to 8 games in 2024 where he has been subbed on or off in almost half his games.

Chessers growth and development is slower than we’d like, but to say he hasn’t improved and using one (useless?) stat to make your point doesn’t really stand up.
Yeah he has clearly improved on last year. AFL player rating is a great way to compare.

Chesser works his arse off. He runs and runs and runs and runs, but so much of the time he just isn't getting to the right places. Most is outer wing which makes it tougher but if he was on the run providing the right option more often he would get more of the ball.

Can't question his work rate. The problem is he has missed so much development from the age of 16 onwards that it's hard to see him ever picking that up to a high level. Has all the athletic ability in the world. When the ball comes to him and he's in the contest he works hard and doesn't shy away from contact. The problem the play just happens to come to his area, he doesn't make the play.

He's got forward and kicked a couple of goals this year, outside of that he has been horrid.

Just one of the idiots around me then, can you explain him racking up 700 more metres than anyone else with this lack of effort.
First I was allegedly watching the game from my couch, but when the truth was revealed that I was not just at the game but seated in the best possible position to view his performance I'm now just an idiot. All because I don't share your opinion. I won't stoop to your level.

Racking up 700 metres of what? Metres gained? Can't be that because according to Footywire stats he had 167 metres gained, ranked 154 in the AFL in 2024 averages. Maybe he ran 700 metres more than anyone else? Cruising up and down the outer wing with little impact he could have run a marathon and it wouldn't change anything. Screenshot_20240509_121606_Chrome.jpg

If you're running to cover a man who then doesn't get used because you've closed down that option, you get absolutely zero stats except for the kms covered. Not even a pressure act because he never had the ball.

The opposition goes long down the wing instead, maybe Gov marks it, maybe they score either way. But you've changed the course of the outcome with zero stats to show for it. Running can be important without generating other stats.

Run distance is an indicator of hard work, it's far from the complete picture though but it's not nothing.

Chesser works his arse off. He runs and runs and runs and runs, but so much of the time he just isn't getting to the right places. Most is outer wing which makes it tougher but if he was on the run providing the right option more often he would get more of the ball.

Can't question his work rate. The problem is he has missed so much development from the age of 16 onwards that it's hard to see him ever picking that up to a high level. Has all the athletic ability in the world. When the ball comes to him and he's in the contest he works hard and doesn't shy away from contact. The problem the play just happens to come to his area, he doesn't make the play.

He's got forward and kicked a couple of goals this year, outside of that he has been horrid.
Let's see where he's at in a couple of years. Happy to be proved wrong. Been watching footy for 40 years and a wce member for 30. Seen enough players at the start of careers to know who has the ticker, skills and necessary attributes. I don't believe so. Everyone can have their own opinion
There is no one in our section that rates him, apart from his athleticism. He can run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see where he's at in a couple of years. Happy to be proved wrong. Been watching footy for 40 years and a wce member for 30. Seen enough players at the start of careers to know who has the ticker, skills and necessary attributes. I don't believe so. Everyone can have their own opinion
There is no one in our section that rates him, apart from his athleticism. He can run.
I’m in that section and it’s full of old campaigners that don’t understand what a switch is, there is this one absolute clueless bloke that shouts out at Chesser about 15 times a game though. Starting to make sense now.

I’m in that section and it’s full of old campaigners that don’t understand what a switch is, there is this one absolute clueless bloke that shouts out at Chesser about 15 times a game though. Starting to make sense now.
That's another fella, as I haven't been to a game yet. Plenty of us out there!!

Living in Karratha
Mates got my tickets and says the same re Chesser. Just like McDougall. Collecting s wage!!

Make of it as you will but I do like that Gaff is helping out the young guys even if they are taking his spot

Pretty clear from Chesser’s comments that he thinks he’s still learning how to play the wing role

We just need to be patient as he develops

Matty Johnson with a cheeky career best game of 25 disposals, 4 tackles, 5 score involvements, 108 ranking points, 80%DE and a goal last week.

Stop comparing them, dickheads.

skeletor-skeletor-running (1).gif | BigFooty Forum

Make of it as you will but I do like that Gaff is helping out the young guys even if they are taking his spot

Pretty clear from Chesser’s comments that he thinks he’s still learning how to play the wing role

We just need to be patient as he develops

He just isn't really suited to the wing role and I think we are hurting his development by trying to pigeon hole him as a wingman just because he is fit and athletic. He's an onballer in my mind but for some reason the club see him as a winger...just like they saw Clark as one when he clearly wasn't then he was delisted. Same thing happened with Brander.

Maybe we could draft an actual wingman instead of trying to turn clear non wingers into them?

Man up! Why won't they just man up?
Kick it. Down the guts!
Darling, trade him!
Kelly paid to much.
Chesser can only run.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Man up! Why won't they just man up?
Kick it. Down the guts!
Darling, trade him!
Kelly paid to much.
Chesser can only run.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Last week Bailey Williams had the ball under pressure at half back.

I hear "KICK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He kicks and turns it over

Same person "WHY THE heck DID YOU KICK IT?????????????"

Should be a life ban.

He just isn't really suited to the wing role and I think we are hurting his development by trying to pigeon hole him as a wingman just because he is fit and athletic. He's an onballer in my mind but for some reason the club see him as a winger...just like they saw Clark as one when he clearly wasn't then he was delisted. Same thing happened with Brander.

Maybe we could draft an actual wingman instead of trying to turn clear non wingers into them?

Agree with this. He looked very good in the pre-season playing as an inside mid.

Looking at this weeks squad with both Johnston and Gaff in the 26 Chesser might have his chance with more midfield time.

Fingers crossed we give him more mid time with Yeo out and he can have a good game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back