List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Here I was incredibly worried about fitness at AFL level. Seems like he was holding back.

To think this is his first year and these are glimpses. One day he'll put together a 35 disposal, 15 clearance, 10 goal game to challenge Darlings U18 Ranking point record.

What a great time to be alive. That would be challenging the moon landing…I imagine. You may remember?

He went looking for Petracca on the one where he did both him and Oliver, almost ran back into him to do it

It's so much fun to watch
It's so natural to him, because running away is an unknown outcome with limited time to dispose, getting into him and creating that space creates the time to look upfield and by moving in Petracca hasn't started to get low at the hips.

It's preempting the tackle before they start it, they're still too upright and the chest is a big target, plus the change of momentum into the tackler creates more force to push with.

It's so natural to him, because running away is an unknown outcome with limited time to dispose, getting into him and creating that space creates the time to look upfield and by moving in Petracca hasn't started to get low at the hips.

It's preempting the tackle before they start it, they're still too upright and the chest is a big target, plus the change of momentum into the tackler creates more force to push with.
Agree. It is crazy from a player in his first handful of games.
Matrix...Neo is still learning.

Even though I love Harley I'll put my hand up and say I was wrong and was prove wrong in his freaking first year.

These were my main concerns:
1. Lack of speed
2. Inability to fend off against grown AFL players (Proven wrong against Sydney)
3. Inability to translate his U18 marking to AFL (Proven wrong against Fremantle)
4. Not agile enough to play Forward (Proven wrong against Fremantle)
5. Unable to rise against harder competition (Proven wrong against Melb)
6. Difficulties with accumulating first year (Proven wrong vs Tigers)
7. Uncontrolled kicking

All that's left is endurance for full 4 quarter games. I wasn't concerned about goal kicking accuracy since that can be taught in AFL system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here I was incredibly worried about fitness at AFL level. Seems like he was holding back.

To think this is his first year and these are glimpses. One day he'll put together a 35 disposal, 15 clearance, 10 goal game to challenge Darlings U18 Ranking point record.

Give yourself an uppercut ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Endurance will get better with pre-seasons. If the mids can do ok without him there he can rest forward. He is a power athlete so will never run like Scully or Gaff but just to build those midfield minutes up and rely less on resting forward as he gets more pre-seasons will be good.

So dangerous up forward though so it's not too big an issue if others can cover for him when he's not in the middle.

The centre clearance 3 bounce goal from 50 was definitely awesome, but I enjoyed his second goal so much more; he was legit like water - 100% fluid. Read the ball, the bounce, his opposition, worked the angles, shoved his opponent at the perfect time in the right direction that the contest was over in less than half a second, powered into goal with a great check-side at speed. That was the work of an elite & experienced footballer.

Excuse me while I have a cigarette after recounting it.

The centre clearance 3 bounce goal from 50 was definitely awesome, but I enjoyed his second goal so much more; he was legit like water - 100% fluid. Read the ball, the bounce, his opposition, worked the angles, shoved his opponent at the perfect time in the right direction that the contest was over in less than half a second, powered into goal with a great check-side at speed. That was the work of an elite & experienced footballer.

1716124636201.png

Was something quite special.

aroused homer simpson GIF

The expression on the Melbourne defender after Reid made him look like a Norf player too. Perfection.

The expression on the Melbourne defender after Reid made him look like a Norf player too. Perfection.

He got shoved and immediately dropped his head knowing that he was done and Reid was kicking the goal. It was instant defeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back