List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Vicco’s fantasising about having Harley play for them one day, South Aussies too must be excited, this weekend will be their third opportunity to see him play.

We fantasise about plodders like Robertson - vicco at least are fantasising about a star. Their fantasies are genuine and realistic.

Unfortunately, I’d take Harley’s statement as being unsettled. Doesn’t mean he won’t get settled, but if by his 2nd bday in Perth he feels like this, he will leave.

But it’s also natural to feel homesick on your bday. It could just be a matter of being a bit more organised. Being a kid, he is used to parents sorting out a party for him.

Moving away from home is tough when you are that young.

Also worth pointing out he didn’t say it was the worst birthday because Perth is sleepy and he wanted to hit the town and Crown in Melbourne. He missed his family, which may have been the same for him in Melbourne.

Missing Tongala is not the same as missing Vic.
And then make it look like a bad thing when we give him a week off and let him visit home for a few days.
This scrutiny is not going to go away for a long time I think.

Exactly- next year his parents could fly over with his sister to Perth to celebrate or he could fly East a few days earlier to see his family and celebrate. It can easily be accommodated.
Nahhh, when he signs the 10 year contract with us the family will move over and enjoy Perth with him 😁

Why wouldnt you grab it, though?

If you immobilise the arm then the only way the fending player can get rid of the ball legally is to drop it down on the boot for an awkward kick?
The arm is difficult to grab as it's moving and there isn't anything to grab onto so to speak, it's just a slippery rope.

Yeah back in 22 there was a fair bit of chat he would have gone at pick 1 instead of Ashcroft. Has had all the tools for a while. Still it's quite a impressive ability to take it straight away to senior level.

Absolutely would have gone #1.

That year I watched the TAC Final (or whatever it's called). The first half he played half back, blanketing Watson, taking intercept marks, defending well and using his great kicking skills to set-up play.

In the third quarter he moved into the middle and was a wrecking ball, steamrolling players (and giving away a few frees) and winning strong clearances.

The last quarter he played deep forward and took two awesome contested grabs, following a genuine wrestle with his opponent. He kicked two goals after those marks.

He was playing as an under-ager. He reminded me of Hodge (first three quarters) and Dusty (last quarter).

I'd never seem someone dominate a game in all thirds of the field like he did.

He did a sportsman’s night with Ruben on his Birthday and was off to have a late dinner afterwards. Can understand why that wouldn’t have been the best 19th Birthday.
His family is in Tongala, his girlfriend is in Victoria as well. He can't go out and get absolutely pissed with his mates because he, and all his mates in Perth are professional athletes.

So yes, it would be a different kind of birthday.

We fantasise about plodders like Robertson - vicco at least are fantasising about a star. Their fantasies are genuine and realistic.

Unfortunately, I’d take Harley’s statement as being unsettled. Doesn’t mean he won’t get settled, but if by his 2nd bday in Perth he feels like this, he will leave.

But it’s also natural to feel homesick on your bday. It could just be a matter of being a bit more organised. Being a kid, he is used to parents sorting out a party for him.

Have heard he genuinely loves Perth, although I worry about the way in which the relentless coverage of him is in a way quite isolating.

Simmo also alluded to this in his post match presser.

They play the clip with ABC in Edmunds spot on whately.

If you listen to the ABC interview it feels quite different in tone compared to the way it’s written.

Have heard he genuinely loves Perth, although I worry about the way in which the relentless coverage of him is in a way quite isolating.

Simmo also alluded to this in his post match presser.

They play the clip with ABC in Edmunds spot on whately.

If you listen to the ABC interview it feels quite different in tone compared to the way it’s written.

The media coverage on Harley has been off the charts since Sunday's game, he's everywhere on everything, all the footy shows, social media and general news reporting on TV and radio...ballistic! Even other codes and sports people watching Harley. How long can this continue, will the novelty wear off with time...?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media coverage on Harley has been off the charts since Sunday's game, he's everywhere on everything, all the footy shows, social media and general news reporting on TV and radio...ballistic! Even other codes and sports people watching Harley. How long can this continue, will the novelty wear off with time...?
When he stops being so good. If he keeps doing viral things each game like specky, running goals and two player fend off it's is his new life.

To be fair he plays into it. He could genuinely finish up being a talk show host/reporter with how honest he is
Just listened to his interview....talk about making a mountain of a molehill, fmd
Link?

Last edited:
Absolutely would have gone #1.

That year I watched the TAC Final (or whatever it's called). The first half he played half back, blanketing Watson, taking intercept marks, defending well and using his great kicking skills to set-up play.

In the third quarter he moved into the middle and was a wrecking ball, steamrolling players (and giving away a few frees) and winning strong clearances.

The last quarter he played deep forward and took two awesome contested grabs, following a genuine wrestle with his opponent. He kicked two goals after those marks.

He was playing as an under-ager. He reminded me of Hodge (first three quarters) and Dusty (last quarter).

I'd never seem someone dominate a game in all thirds of the field like he did.
Yeah his 2022 under age year was pretty dominant. Would have definitely been a good chance. Good insight into his pedigree as I didn't watch that game. The highlights from 2022 were just a taste of what was to come.

It’s never going to end. Poor kid had to go on radio pre draft to say he had no issues with getting drafted by West Coast but the brains trust in the media just continued to drum up the narrative that he wouldn’t go.

Weird, obsessive and click bait media coverage is at critical mass atm.

Wish people would just disengage from all of it.

I literally only know who Sam McClure is because of this forum. A big-foreheaded nepo baby with zero skills, intellect or redeeming features in any facet of life (from what I can gather).

So many better ways to spend time than giving any of it to him or others like him who aren't actually producing content of substance.

It’s never going to end. Poor kid had to go on radio pre draft to say he had no issues with getting drafted by West Coast but the brains trust in the media just continued to drum up the narrative that he wouldn’t go.

Weird, obsessive and click bait media coverage is at critical mass atm.
Yeah unfortunately with so many content providers around, to draw the attention your way you're kind of forced to be like this

Always thought Juddy was absolutely FOS when he used to say that he didn’t read or listen to the media. How could you not if you love something that much and make your career out of it?

After the way Harley has been treated I 100% believe him and can absolutely see why he’d do that. It’s literally essential and I hope Harley has the right people in his ears encouraging him to do the same.

Always thought Juddy was absolutely FOS when he used to say that he didn’t read or listen to the media. How could you not if you love something that much and make your career out of it?

After the way Harley has been treated I 100% believe him and can absolutely see why he’d do that. It’s literally essential and I hope Harley has the right people in his ears encouraging him to do the same.
He said earlier in the year(Gather Round?) that it wasn't entirely true, as it was impossible to completely ignore. Just said it was so much easier, because social media wasn't really a thing like it is today back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back