Universal Love Nick Austin - Head Of List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 - Saad#, Fogarty#, Durdin, Carroll, Parks%, mcdonald*

2021 - Cerra#, Hewett@@, Young#, Motlop, Akuei$, Mirkov!, Boyd!

# trade
% rookie
*PSD
!MSD
$CatB
@@Free Agency

SOS had an unbelievable 2015 draft and did very well turning existing players into picks but his history post 2015 was pretty patchy IMO. While we have a few holes, notably in the spine (although Jones doing what he did exposed it more) i'm pretty happy with Austin's renovations to SOS' list.

Seems very comfortable picking with second round picks based on the above.

Senior recruiting/LM roles at Richmond 2012-18 and WB 2018-20 shows despite a lower profile he knows how to build a contending team and i'm really happy with the return of the prodigal son.

Some arguments that WB have a list entirely built on mids and smalls but I've heard that was bevo's call and that the club went with it knowing that Darcy and Ugle-Hagen were in the wings.

Done a great job so far both with mature recruits and drafting.

Durdin, motlop and Carroll the type of players we need and look promising.

Cerra, Hewett and Young great additions. You're missing Williams and we did overpay there...given Austin has been quite frugal with other contracts, I suspect Liddle may have had an influence on the Williams contract.

Only other query is the lack of backup key forward. Though going into the season if everyone was available, TDK or McDonald were probably going to fill that role.

Done a great job so far both with mature recruits and drafting.

Durdin, motlop and Carroll the type of players we need and look promising.

Cerra, Hewett and Young great additions. You're missing Williams and we did overpay there...given Austin has been quite frugal with other contracts, I suspect Liddle may have had an influence on the Williams contract.

Only other query is the lack of backup key forward. Though going into the season if everyone was available, TDK or McDonald were probably going to fill that role.
ah, i had Williams in the year before by mistake, thanks.

Yeah I'd say talls are the issue but with the salary cap no team is perfect.

On paper McKay, Curnow, Silvagni, TDK, McDonald, Pittonet, Mirkov, Jones, Weitering, Young, Marchbank is almost enough cover for 7ish roles a game but clearly injuries have exposed us and given those names, proably should be surprising.

You would be hard pressed for me to say a bad word about SOS, just love him. Like people have said he had an unbelievable 2015, and his ability to get picks from turning over our list was very damn good. With Austin now manning the ropes the only criticism I can level at SOS would be his frugalness in not getting Saad over the line, his later picks were a little average and as yet the Dow and O’Brain picks have not yielded their pick worth.

Hopefully that turns around but the Stocker pick does compensate for their “late arrival” so far.

Austin has been fantastic for us...
He's picked out some gems with late picks... This will be his first year with a first round pick also...

Was thinking today I'm so glad that SOS didn't land Shiel or Coniglio...
Our Cap would be rooted now... We wouldn't have Cerra or Hewett or be where we are today...

First and last time I'll say this, thanks * and the AFL...

Austin has been fantastic for us...
He's picked out some gems with late picks... This will be his first year with a first round pick also...

Was thinking today I'm so glad that SOS didn't land Shiel or Coniglio...
Our Cap would be rooted now... We wouldn't have Cerra or Hewett or be where we are today...

First and last time I'll say this, thanks * and the AFL...

Ahhh Shiel the gift that keeps on giving.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Give him and the recruiting department the plaudits deserved.

"Astute" is the word I would use.

The players we've targeted/recruited have been deeply considered. Not just flashy. Players like Young is the highlight of his skill set... he literally recuited what looks likes a potential A grade Key Back from a team screaming for any Key Backs for nothing .

Hewett was rated highly by Swans and only squeezed out due to cap space and to be able to recognise this is amazing skills, however Young is simply a steal!

SOS has built the overall team and Austin is now finalizing it.
IMO - Both have and are doing their job well. Of course there are and will always be trades and picks from both men that we will debate and not agree with ie. Tuohy or Saad trades. That is the nature of the business and industry and we will always discuss now and well into the future, but overall, we have a talented list, that is growing and maturing which both men have added too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Hollands, Blake Acres, Jaxon Binns, Alex Cincotta, Harry Lemmey and Lachie Cowan are another excellent off season haul from Son of Curly and Mick Agresta aka The A Team

giphy.gif

Goes without saying that building depth and a list that bats deep is essential for any team for finals and premiership aspirations

Our boys and Vossy and the coaches getting the kudos and appreciation they deserve, but I would also like to show our recruiting and talent identification and list management team some love and gratitude too.

They and obviously Son of Sergio have played an instrumental part of finals/flag contending team.

Has done an outstanding job so far. Excited to see what he can do now that we're genuinely backing up expectations on the field. Make no mistake, players will want to get to Carlton this off season and we are finally at a point to go and recruit for need, rather than just chasing best talent.
Indeed he has. I think now that he's done the hard stuff, the list will be a lot easier to maintain, and will be a matter of identifying players of value to the list who can't get a gig at their current clubs, and making sure that new young talent is identified for a position well in advance of outgoing players in that position.

Now that we have some depth, I hope we adopt the same mentality as Geelong in making sure we don't play our champs when injured and giving our lesser stars an opportunity to step up and get game time.

We have already been forced to do this during this season, and the 'next man up' mentality is building a cohesive unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back