Toast Welcome to Fremantle Karl Worner (pick 8 2021 rookie draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was somehow listed in the best players for Peel V Subi but think the West was phoning it in to be honest (like they sometimes do).
I have been wrong about many players and hope that I'm wrong about Worner but I don't see an AFL talent at this stage.
Not great defensively, fumbles a bit, and is athletic but with no real traits that stand out (either with disposal, strength, pace or decision making). Can other guys see what I can't?

Was somehow listed in the best players for Peel V Subi but think the West was phoning it in to be honest (like they sometimes do).
I have been wrong about many players and hope that I'm wrong about Worner but I don't see an AFL talent at this stage.
Not great defensively, fumbles a bit, and is athletic but with no real traits that stand out (either with disposal, strength, pace or decision making). Can other guys see what I can't?

I sure can’t. Looks a dud from what I’ve seen. Not even close to the level.
Corbett the same.

To be fair, he is wingman who was trained up at Peel to be a running hbf who has been played at Afl level as a third tall on the likes of SPP and Darling to name only two. I can't remember what tall he played on against Hawthorn. He isn't really being set up to excel.

Fair point. Would be interesting to see him playing as a true winger. Not sure what our obsession is with turning wingers into defenders when true wingers are actually harder to find (& keep for some reason)

Fair point. Would be interesting to see him playing as a true winger. Not sure what our obsession is with turning wingers into defenders when true wingers are actually harder to find (& keep for some reason)
Suggests that wing might actually be a much harder role — or at least, harder to do well — than people seem to think.

Last edited:
If West Coast weren't so pathetic, the s**t-the-bed mark drop he did against them wouldn't have been waltzed by us onto goal. Any other, even remotely competent team and it goes straight back the other way.

I wouldn't mind that so much, but he did the same against Hawthorn. It's a thing.

But, as has been pointed out, he is being played out of position. Backline is a hard place to learn the caper if it's composure and strength you need to work on. He routinely gets outbodied.

Wagner - with whom I routinely confuse Worner - he's good.

Is he being played out of position when he has played there for 2 years now?

He had a really good patch in the middle of this season where it was looking like he might make it. Unfortunately the same worries that Peel watchers have had, ended up translating into the AFL. Maybe we should have let him walk to the Tigers (who were apparently interested) He will be on minimum chips for his contract though, choosing length over money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if Worner gets his pre-season right by becoming more robust in his frame and improves his composure (I don't think he's a bad kick per se but he craps the bed under pressure), he can be an AFL level player, but as others have said he lacks a point of difference (not overly impressive athletically, in reading the ball in the air/at ground level, in his kicking, etc). Somewhat of a "high" floor (by rookie standards) low ceiling type.

You can see this in comparing him to Wagner. Worner is nowhere near as useless when he's the deepest defender as Wagner was against Gold Coast (that tactical decision was a war crime). But Wagner is just way more able to take the game on, which makes him an intriguing player as that attacking rebounding half back.

I think if Worner gets his pre-season right by becoming more robust in his frame and improves his composure (I don't think he's a bad kick per se but he craps the bed under pressure), he can be an AFL level player, but as others have said he lacks a point of difference (not overly impressive athletically, in reading the ball in the air/at ground level, in his kicking, etc). Somewhat of a "high" floor (by rookie standards) low ceiling type.

You can see this in comparing him to Wagner. Worner is nowhere near as useless when he's the deepest defender as Wagner was against Gold Coast (that tactical decision was a war crime). But Wagner is just way more able to take the game on, which makes him an intriguing player as that attacking rebounding half back.
Both being blond and roughly the same size is where the comparisons should stop between Worner and Wagner. One is so damaging off half back that an opposition coach just put on the most defensively minded forward tag that I've ever seen on the weekend. The other is Karl Worner.

Both being blond and roughly the same size is where the comparisons should stop between Worner and Wagner. One is so damaging off half back that an opposition coach just put on the most defensively minded forward tag that I've ever seen on the weekend. The other is Karl Worner.
Not true, they were both poor, making basic mistakes in their first couple of games for Freo. Wagner however is 26 and has played for two other AFL teams, so should've adjusted better.

and after his first 2 games with us we wouldve said the same about wagner... ironic were now at the stage of lauding wagner while potting worner after two games...

its looking you all in the face

One is so damaging off half back that an opposition coach just put on the most defensively minded forward tag that I've ever seen on the weekend. The other is Karl Worner.
Counter: one is actively bad at defending, was a disaster when he wasn't hidden defensively in his first stint in the team, can't spoil milk and had a contested defence 1 on 1 loss rate of 55.6%. The other is Karl Worner.

and after his first 2 games with us we wouldve said the same about wagner... ironic were now at the stage of lauding wagner while potting worner after two games...

its looking you all in the face
Wagner did not start his AFL career well, but has traits that Worner does not possess - like speed, agility, skilful disposal, and ability to take the game on. I'm not completely writing Worner off - as he might make it as an AFL player - I just think it's silly to compare them.

Not true, they were both poor, making basic mistakes in their first couple of games for Freo. Wagner however is 26 and has played for two other AFL teams, so should've adjusted better.
Worner is stll young and only two years into senior footy, needs another big pre season to improve his fitness and body strength but what i have seen at Peel is better suited to the Wing but maybe playing HBF helps in his developement Lets see how he goes 2024 before making judgement

There’s no comparison between Wagner and Worner. There a solid argument Wagner is B22 in round 1 next year.

At the end of the day many of the players on our list are not going to make it long term. That’s why we have a draft and a MSD every year. People need to get their head around that. Players like worner are long shots - come in for 2 or 3 years as late or rookie picks, play 10 or 15 games (if even) and get moved on. Often they only last a year or two. Every team in the afl has players like this. It’s the nature of the business.
We have had guys like Giro, Bewley, Nyhuis, Tobe Watson, Joel Western, Hugh Dixon like this in recent years to name but a few. It was great for all those guys to get their moments in the sun to varying degrees by playing for freo for a few games each but I think all those guys were rightly delisted in hindsight.

I personally think Worner is the current version of them. He should have been given a one year extension not two.
Have to remember we only have 23 x 23 = 529 games to allocate between our list of 44 players each year excluding finals. Most of those appearances are made by the top 16 or 18 players then the remainder are rotated through the fringe guys.
I’ll be astonished if he’s still on the list in 2026. He would need to improve out of sight compared to what we have seen so far. Im not being harsh on Worner I’m just being honest and realistic about how list management works in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back