Universal Love Welcome to Freo - Heath Chapman (Pick 14 2020 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

BUMP

Appropriate given the hype around Chapman is possibly greater than any second player in recent memory.

I mentioned I thought his lower end would be as good as Johnson - which would be a massive win for the club. Top end I think he will be our best player or equal with Darcy.

Darcy will be a dominant force in the league for the next decade or longer. Chappy could be anything.

I feel this is worth an update. Not sure I have been as excited by a young player since Fyfe. Similar in terms of expectation as well.

Mora was the player hyped when they arrived. After two or three games Fyfes talent was evident. I think once I saw him beat O'keefe when we played Sydney a couple of times I knew he was special. Suddenly there was a sense he could play anywhere.

In terms of our current rebuild Chappy is a late first rounder. We have had a lot of top ten picks and I think that made his arrival less pressured. A couple of pre season games this year and I am starting to get the sense he could learn to be dominant in the middle. It would solve our impending size issue (Brayshaw and Serong are small, Switta is small)and lack of 188 + mids on the ball.

I am not sure when is the best time to move him to a wing or the middle. Only that he allows are stacked back line to be picked, giving walker a game. And we are not deep in midfield stocks. Erasmus and Johnson could change that, but it would be doubtful that happens this year or next.

Still so bloody pumped we have him!

Johnson could sit on half back in his spot next season using his kicking to set up play

Agreed, and normally it would be a very good place to develop him. I am not sure with our logjam of players there if it will be an option.

He has some burst pace and good delivery. It would seem to be the ideal location to bring him on. What that means for Walker and a couple of others I am not sure.

Agreed, and normally it would be a very good place to develop him. I am not sure with our logjam of players there if it will be an option.

He has some burst pace and good delivery. It would seem to be the ideal location to bring him on. What that means for Walker and a couple of others I am not sure.
Usually what it means for Walker is the same as what it meant for Clark.

Great place for Johnson.

Last edited:
Yes. It means he won't get opportunities to develop.

Disappointing given glimpses last season. Hopefully he kills it at peel in the first five games. The problem with that is the WAFL starts so late that would mean a round 10 opportunity. Not an ideal situation.

Disappointing given glimpses last season. Hopefully he kills it at peel in the first five games. The problem with that is the WAFL starts so late that would mean a round 10 opportunity. Not an ideal situation.
Even if he was killing it it is difficult to see where his opportunity comes.

Wilson seems preferred and Clark, Chapman and Young are locked in.

Hughes and Aish may well be next in line.

O'Driscoll and Johnson are sure to debut, potentially at hbf.

I'm sure his timeframe is beyond this season though.

Even if he was killing it it is difficult to see where his opportunity comes.

Wilson seems preferred and Clark, Chapman and Young are locked in.

Hughes and Aish may well be next in line.

O'Driscoll and Johnson are sure to debut, potentially at hbf.

I'm sure his timeframe is beyond this season though.
Dunno, his form in the scratchies was fairly scratchy, so if he were to hit some prime form again I'm sure he'd get more of a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno, his form in the scratchies was fairly scratchy, so if he were to hit some prime form again I'm sure he'd get more of a look in.
It is complicated. With Cerra gone and Mundy applying for a Seniors Card I think we are now in a situation where we really should be fast tracking Erasmus and Johnson. Johnson in particular looks ideal to begin at hbf.

It is complicated. With Cerra gone and Mundy applying for a Seniors Card I think we are now in a situation where we really should be fast tracking Erasmus and Johnson. Johnson in particular looks ideal to begin at hbf.
Johnson is coming from a long way back this season with a stress fracture in his foot and a TBA. Would be a fair effort by him to get an afl game in 2022 at this stage

Johnson is coming from a long way back this season with a stress fracture in his foot and a TBA. Would be a fair effort by him to get an afl game in 2022 at this stage
I think you're right. Unfortunately I think we need to fast track him and Erasmus, but it looks like next year for anything substantial.

Chapman could play anywhere, but half-back or wing he's a weapon. He's cleaner than the Virgin Mary (catholic version) and his delivery by hand and foot is sensational - going to be key to us getting out of the sh*t and scoring 4 passes later.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I doubt anyone is going to disagree or have issues with your statement.

The question being asked is about other positions apart from hbf, and given that we have an oversupply of players suited to that position, can they be better used on a wing or forward.

And with Chapman specifically being likened to Fyfe and Mundy in terms of talent and potential impact in other positions, it seems more a question of "when" not "if".

I doubt anyone is going to disagree or have issues with your statement.

The question being asked is about other positions apart from hbf, and given that we have an oversupply of players suited to that position, can they be better used on a wing or forward.

And with Chapman specifically being likened to Fyfe and Mundy in terms of talent and potential impact in other positions, it seems more a question of "when" not "if".

Peter Bell has said as much at members meeting.

I'd hate to see Chappy's wiry body in the middle.

He has height, speed and elite disposal...not sure why we'd waste that and get him inside being beaten up
The middle has all types, including receivers no? You’d still have your Serongs/Brodie’s whose main focus is the ground ball and dishing it out with Chapman whose main focuse is receiving but can also halve/win a contest if needed. He has the perfect attributes to be that top 10 player that’s an in/out mid

The middle has all types, including receivers no? You’d still have your Serongs/Brodie’s whose main focus is the ground ball and dishing it out with Chapman whose main focuse is receiving but can also halve/win a contest if needed. He has the perfect attributes to be that top 10 player that’s an in/out mid

Perhaps...he will also get munched.
Wing is a midfield position that can weave through all areas...he has the potential to be a 6' 3" Peter Matera...and I'm not joking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back