Welcome Welcome Tom Emmett!! - Pick 41 in the 2022 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Another piece of the puzzle it seems.
He could be that's for sure. From memory he had a very interrupted preseason so his potential upside if he can get both fitter and a bit more explosive in terms of pace of the mark over the next preseason or two he could really be a player. He is already pretty quick for a player with a strong build but if he could get his pace up to an elite level then he really would be a handful.

Last edited:
His hand ball look lightning.And his play on are really quick .wont waste a fraction of a second if he gets ball in hand . Even in highlights there are at least 4 or more instances of these 2. All resulted in a freo goal( that's why it came in highlights any way).if it was any other player I am not sure those passages of play would result in a goal. Steal at 41... And I remember Chris 25 was talking up about Emmet during last season and he hoped Freo would pick him up and Freo did... In Sam Surt case also Chris 25 picked him for us in his phantom draft. Emmet look a Best 22 lock at the moment. He is going to be a massive fan favorite. I had set Mili Lucas photo as both screen saver and background picture in my PC. I am going to change one of them to Emmett.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
The best thing about his play in my opinion is how often he looks to dispose of the ball by taking the game on by either running away from his direct opponent and kicking long when in space or taking the first option with his kick or handball. That's exactly the type of player our forwardline needs.

Was he the caller in game “He’s up he’s down, Serong, Serong so right” when Serong kicked a magnificent goal? The crowd noise reached fever pitch with that goal!

And wasn’t he also the caller in the Melbourne game when Freddie tapped the ball back to Shultz who goaled? From memory he shouted “they’re pulling out all the party tricks”.

If it was him in both cases he definitely gets the pass mark from me.

I’ve always enjoyed a bit of Freo hysteria from the callers of our games 😎

Was he the caller in game “He’s up he’s down, Serong, Serong so right” when Serong kicked a magnificent goal? The crowd noise reached fever pitch with that goal!

And wasn’t he also the caller in the Melbourne game when Freddie tapped the ball back to Shultz who goaled? From memory he shouted “they’re pulling out all the party tricks”.

And Thir-teeeen... THIR-TEEEEN!!

Huddo the best caller in the business by a country mile.
Most of the rest of them are just useless.

Peter Drury (the best caller in any sport in the world) said in an interview before the start of the Premier League season that what makes a great commentator is understanding that viewers are tuning in for the game and not the caller. It is a fact that seems to have been lost in football and is why Huddo is the best. He doesn't buy into the whole boys club bullshit and just calls the game (most of the time). The same can be said for Adam Papalia. It is amazing the difference in professionalism between the guys who played at the top level and guys like Huddo and Paps who didn't.

The best callers know how to let moments breathe and not talk over the top of them.

Used to think Huddo and Lane were the best in the business, Huddo still one of the best but not as good as he was

As bad as he is an MRP adjudicator, Michael Christian was also good back in the day

Last edited:
The best callers know how to let moments breathe and not talk over the top of them.

Used to think Huddo and Lane were the best in the business, Huddo still one of the best but not as good as he was

As bad as he is an MRP adjudicator, Michael Christian was also good back in the day

that shepherd from Sandi though is hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Drury (the best caller in any sport in the world) said in an interview before the start of the Premier League season that what makes a great commentator is understanding that viewers are tuning in for the game and not the caller. It is a fact that seems to have been lost in football and is why Huddo is the best. He doesn't buy into the whole boys club bullshit and just calls the game (most of the time). The same can be said for Adam Papalia. It is amazing the difference in professionalism between the guys who played at the top level and guys like Huddo and Paps who didn't.
Drury is different class.
It’s people like Hamish that annoy me the most in AFL. Reading out banal and irrelevant stats non stop while the play is in progress - ugh.

I’ve always enjoyed a bit of Freo hysteria from the callers of our games

He's okay but he wants another "thirteen" soo bad

It's this that allows them to call it like a fan rather than a professional in the big moments. Mike Williamson's famous call being a prime example.

That legit made me sad. What a career Morrabito should have had…

I feel like most afl callers go in with a story they want to tell rather than just calling the play. Gets them all out of sorts when the story in their head doesn't match what's really happening. Or even set calls they're desperate to use.

That legit made me sad. What a career Morrabito should have had…

god yes.

that season is still my favourites of all Freo seasons. Barlow coming in and watching Fyfe and Morabito pop.
the first 13 games before “The Incident” were easily the most enjoyable stretch of games of our whole existence and that final really capped off the year.

then of course it all went to s**t

I really like Richo on the call. Strictly speaking he is more of a special comments type than an actual caller, he is very humble and is often the but of many a joke about his many unusual exploits on the field.

Richo often has a laugh about himself too just to add to the humour of the situation.

Huddo and Adam Papalia are pretty good, James Brayshaw is kinda ok, the rest are mainly annoying (whether it’s their voice or bias).

Clinton Grybas was absolutely brilliant footy caller and that was very sad when he passed away so young. He was as good as Dennis Cometti

Huddo and Adam Papalia are pretty good, James Brayshaw is kinda ok, the rest are mainly annoying (whether it’s their voice or bias).

Clinton Grybas was absolutely brilliant footy caller and that was very sad when he passed away so young. He was as good as Dennis Cometti
Very sad. Would be at the top of Australian sports commentary by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back