Toast Welcome to Freo Jye Amiss!!! (pick 8 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Love me some Jye, but man does he need to fix his set shot routine.

Looks visibly all over the place with it this season, and the proof is in the pudding at 14.14 with no doubt a few OOBs on the fulls too.

Badly needs to watch footage of himself from last season.

Love me some Jye, but man does he need to fix his set shot routine.

Looks visibly all over the place with it this season, and the proof is in the pudding at 14.14 with no doubt a few OOBs on the fulls too.

or have a better mentor

I believe he should consider rebuilding his set-shot routine the way Golfers do with their swing when they are completely out of sorts. Might have to do it in the off season but a more conventional set shot style could be more sustainable over his career.

He wouldn't have to change too much. Just maybe a slightly longer run up and a bit of acceleration. Take a look at Treacy or Freddy's routine and borrow from them. He could probably add some distance with a bit more momentum.

Saints defence is pretty awful but it was good to see him getting some separation and space to work again. Should have helped his confidence except maybe for the set shot yips. Its so deflating when he and Voss are getting on the end of plenty of ball but not converting.

Watch his routine from last year, it's a bit different. I feel like someone tinkered with it and it's gotten weird for him.
Yep. Like I said...

I reckon he's messed with it trying to find another 5-10 metres of distance and it's stuffed him up.

I believe he should consider rebuilding his set-shot routine the way Golfers do with their swing when they are completely out of sorts. Might have to do it in the off season but a more conventional set shot style could be more sustainable over his career.

He wouldn't have to change too much. Just maybe a slightly longer run up and a bit of acceleration. Take a look at Treacy or Freddy's routine and borrow from them. He could probably add some distance with a bit more momentum.

Saints defence is pretty awful but it was good to see him getting some separation and space to work again. Should have helped his confidence except maybe for the set shot yips. Its so deflating when he and Voss are getting on the end of plenty of ball but not converting.
And take an extra step back so not to get too close.

He seems to be kicking it higher to get over the player on the mark.

Don't know how it's possible but his routine has gotten slower and shorter.

Balls doesnt travel through the air w useith any momentum, much like his run up, so doesn't hold its line. Just because something worked before doesn't mean it'll always keep working if it's flawed.

There are some weird routines like JKs and Hogan's stutter, Ben browns long run up. They aren't fundamentally flawed tho. Jye needs a few tweaks I reckon. Not sure this routine will hold up when pressure is on. Recall him slamming one into the post from 20m out directly in front against WB in that final we were down 40-1 or whatever score was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I think the problem is that he’s never going to find that extra distance with a tweak. He needed to either completely overhaul it or leave it as is.
Extra distance will come with a longer run up and more momentum. He is getting too close to the man on the mark and a 3 step run up. Watch players that are kicking from in play versus a set shot and they easily make the distance and seem to have better accuracy.

Extra distance will come with a longer run up and more momentum. He is getting too close to the man on the mark and a 3 step run up. Watch players that are kicking from in play versus a set shot and they easily make the distance and seem to have better accuracy.
Timing is one of the more immediate differences to distance. The better the timing the more you can wring out from the other elements.

Yep. I think the problem is that he’s never going to find that extra distance with a tweak. He needed to either completely overhaul it or leave it as is.
Kicked 41.17 last season, if the trade off means he has to dish it off from outside 50 we should take that every day of the week.

Has plenty enough in the kit bag without needing the long range bomb.

In 4 or 5 years when he's fully confident and getting all those repeat preseasons of strength building, he kicks 8+ on a night like that.

Still an absolute gun, just going through a very fixable accuracy rut. As I think s_wd6 said, basically tracking the same as last year all things considered, just not as accurate. Pretty sure last night was a record for shots on goal for him

Had 5 more scoring shots compared to this time last year despite playing one less gamen (14.14 vs 16.7). Only difference is it would've been 21.7 last year rather than 14.14. Need to sort that out quickly. He's actually been improving but it's hard to tell without the goals.

Last edited:
I suspect he's been a little rattled this season by opposition putting more focus on him and its effected his confidence. He went a bit under the radar last year but at some stage this year defenses are exploiting his figure. He's still able to do some fine work out there and its allowed Treacy to run rampant. Give it some time and when he tweaks a couple of things, of which he's capable - he's a smart kid, he and Treacy will be causing headaches for opposition for years to come.

Kicked 41.17 last season, if the trade off means he has to dish it off from outside 50 we should take that every day of the week.

Has plenty enough in the kit bag without needing the long range bomb.
Especially as Cyclone can put them through half post height from 55m

Remove this Banner Ad

Back