Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly think we have so much talent in this side but won’t see the results until Mitchell Wingard and even Birch is back playing senior footy unhindered!!
With a few trades and early draft picks plus clarko and GW putting the filter through the list at the end of this year, we will have the makings of a Top 4 side! Things can turn around pretty quick and I believe Chad will be a huge part of that. He isn’t 30 ffs, not even close, plenty of time to make an impact.

I honestly think we have so much talent in this side but won’t see the results until Mitchell Wingard and even Birch is back playing senior footy unhindered!!
With a few trades and early draft picks plus clarko and GW putting the filter through the list at the end of this year, we will have the makings of a Top 4 side! Things can turn around pretty quick and I believe Chad will be a huge part of that. He isn’t 30 ffs, not even close, plenty of time to make an impact.
Society is very short term in its thinking now a days. Looking past your nose is not the norm anymore.

This Mitchell Wingard sounds like he could be a jet.

I swear people genuinely believe this is his mentality:
View attachment 697629

Ok fair point, I’ll back off on the Wingard stuff and let him do his thing. As pointed out by others, pretty much most of our recruited players have struggled with injuries/game plans in their first year excluding Tom Mitchell. I do hope Chad recaptures his AA form and has a long distinguished career with us. No more chad recruiting bashing by me

I don't think Wingard should play the rest of this season. His body just isn't up to it at the moment and it's not as though we're playing finals.
Get him cherry ripe for next year and we'll be laughing. I'm still confident he's an A grade player but he needs the necessary conditioning to take that next step.

Ok fair point, I’ll back off on the Wingard stuff and let him do his thing. As pointed out by others, pretty much most of our recruited players have struggled with injuries/game plans in their first year excluding Tom Mitchell. I do hope Chad recaptures his AA form and has a long distinguished career with us. No more chad recruiting bashing by me
We have no idea what is happening inside clubs with personnel - if there are perceived issues they will be dealt with in confidence and with as much respect as possible. It hurts to see Ryan Burton playing well at PA but I have full confidence in the decisions made by Clarko and GW. They rarely ever get it wrong.

We have no idea what is happening inside clubs with personnel - if there are perceived issues they will be dealt with in confidence and with as much respect as possible. It hurts to see Ryan Burton playing well at PA but I have full confidence in the decisions made by Clarko and GW. They rarely ever get it wrong.
Although when they do get it wrong they tend to get it really wrong (Tyrone says hi). Overall i agree though that they havr more hits than misses in the trading department.

I don't think Wingard should play the rest of this season. His body just isn't up to it at the moment and it's not as though we're playing finals.
Get him cherry ripe for next year and we'll be laughing. I'm still confident he's an A grade player but he needs the necessary conditioning to take that next step.

From my armchair: I think conditioning seems to be something we might not have got quite right across the whole playing group this year. Hopefully next year the club can get back to usual high standard on that front.

Although when they do get it wrong they tend to get it really wrong (Tyrone says hi). Overall i agree though that they havr more hits than misses in the trading department.

TV wasn't a two time AA though - so that's not a fair comparison.

There's still 2 months of the season left (assuming we're not going to make finals from here) and by Saturday he'll have already been out for 4 weeks. I'm all for making sure he's absolutely 100% right before he comes back in, but I don't think it's wise for him to sit out the rest of the season just because we're unlikely to play finals.

His body hasn't been the only thing that has restricted his output this year. The other thing is that he hasn't had the chance to build familiarity with his teammates by playing alongside them. Training with them can only help so much. There's no replacement for actually playing games together. I think it's really important he gets some of that familiarity this year so that he can take advantage of it from day 1 next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's still 2 months of the season left (assuming we're not going to make finals from here) and by Saturday he'll have already been out for 4 weeks. I'm all for making sure he's absolutely 100% right before he comes back in, but I don't think it's wise for him to sit out the rest of the season just because we're unlikely to play finals.

His body hasn't been the only thing that has restricted his output this year. The other thing is that he hasn't had the chance to build familiarity with his teammates by playing alongside them. Training with them can only help so much. There's no replacement for actually playing games together. I think it's really important he gets some of that familiarity this year so that he can take advantage of it from day 1 next season.
I have a feeling our forward line will get a huge shake up during the off season. Half the guys he'd be playing with this year won't be there in 2020

I have a feeling our forward line will get a huge shake up during the off season. Half the guys he'd be playing with this year won't be there in 2020
It's not just the forwards though. It's the players kicking it into him. The midfielders he's playing alongside and the defenders kicking it to him when he does stints in the middle. Games played in the Hawthorn side playing Clarko's game plan are not wasted experience.

It's not just the forwards though. It's the players kicking it into him. The midfielders he's playing alongside and the defenders kicking it to him when he does stints in the middle. Games played in the Hawthorn side playing Clarko's game plan are not wasted experience.
Fair call, I just think the likelihood of him doing another soft tissue is too great

Fair call, I just think the likelihood of him doing another soft tissue is too great
I get your concern, but even if he does a hammie in round 23 he'll still have at least 4 months off before he needs to rock up to day 1 of pre-season training. When he's 100% fit and ready to go this season then there shouldn't be a fear to play him. We need to set him up to hit the ground running round 1 next year. Not playing any footy for 9 months is counter productive to that goal.

Chad Wingard wants to and unless something untoward happens at training will play this week.
Contrary to popular (albeit very incorrect) opinion... Chad has never been injury prone. Looks after himself very well & from someone who definitely knows better than anyone.... doesn’t take shortcuts in his preparation.

Chad Wingard wants to and unless something untoward happens at training will play this week.
Contrary to popular (albeit very incorrect) opinion... Chad has never been injury prone. Looks after himself very well & from someone who definitely knows better than anyone.... doesn’t take shortcuts in his preparation.

Thank you for putting an end to the ridiculous speculation. Nothing I have ever seen of Chad suggests that he doesn’t prepare as well as any other player. It’s good to hear it from someone who actually knows.

Said this in another thread - but there's a weird tone in here of blaming Wingard for his own injuries.
There's a perception that Wingard's run of soft tissue injuries may be the result of poor preparation and a corresponding lack of professionalism.

His year is far from a write off and he still has nine weeks to give fans hope he can turn it around next year, because the odds we'd see the best of Chad in 2019 playing under a completely new system were always small in my book. I did expect more than the glimpses we've seen so far, and feel its really important he gains some continuity and momentum in the back half of the year or he'll have even more heat heaped on his performances next season.

There's a perception that Wingard's run of soft tissue injuries may be the result of poor preparation and a corresponding lack of professionalism.

His year is far from a write off and he still has nine weeks to give fans hope he can turn it around next year, because the odds we'd see the best of Chad in 2019 playing under a completely new system were always small in my book. I did expect more than the glimpses we've seen so far, and feel its really important he gains some continuity and momentum in the back half of the year or he'll have even more heat heaped on his performances next season.

Where does that perception come from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back