Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Took some good contested marks on the weekend.

Yes I know it was the Suns but you can only take the opportunities presented and he's taking a few more than he would have at the start of the year

Yes a certainly welcome improvement in his game. If he can continue to make improvements like this in other areas of his game, in a couple of years time we are going to have a special player with his athletic gifts and competitiveness already being elite.

He needs to drastically inmprove his marking to be a full back I think.
I think Full Back would be an absolute waste of his talents. He's already one of the best runners at the club and with his size and speed he's going to be much more useful being able to spend time between the arcs.

Leading up and burning off his opponent running back towards goal for example

The long raking left boot, the supersized six-foot running player who can take a mark. The impossible match-up for the opposition coach. He's the new Buddy at Glenferrie!

Kind of.

Sort of.

In a way.

Well, you know what I mean.

Alright, Buddy is a stretch, I just like him and I want him to do well.

There is a lot of 'Nash can't this or I don't see Nash here or there', but he is being persevered with for his athletic gifts and size. Look how long Timmy O has taken to develop, is he going ok now? Yes he is. Let the kid develop. He could be an incredible utility.

Taller types typically take longer and he is Irish. Lets see what he looks like at 50 games instead of 20 and make a better judge of him as a player then. They'll move him around so he can get experience and learn his craft. I think he'll end up fine.

The long raking left boot, the supersized six-foot running player who can take a mark. The impossible match-up for the opposition coach. He's the new Buddy at Glenferrie!

Kind of.

Sort of.

In a way.

Well, you know what I mean.

Alright, Buddy is a stretch, I just like him and I want him to do well.
Except he’s a right footer and when did Buddy learn to mark?
I like Nashy and has a future with us, just needs to continue to work on a few things and we will have a player.

He's had a pretty good last month.
One of the things i most like, is his awareness of team mates positioning and his ability around the goals to either clear a path for them or tap to their advantage.
I don't know what his goal assist numbers are, but i think he's building well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone points out his generally low statistics, which is completely fine, but Nash does seem to have an involvement in a awful lot of our positive attacking moves.

Goal assists aside, he is often moving players out of the way, breaking packs open, tapping the ball in positive areas, etc. things that don’t always register on the stat sheet, but that go a long way in explaining why he’s picked.

Everyone points out his generally low statistics, which is completely fine, but Nash does seem to have an involvement in a awful lot of our positive attacking moves.

Goal assists aside, he is often moving players out of the way, breaking packs open, tapping the ball in positive areas, etc. things that don’t always register on the stat sheet, but that go a long way in explaining why he’s picked.

Obviously not at all the same calibre of player, but there are some people who don't like Nash's games that would not have a problem at all with them if it was Cyril offering the same output.

Obviously not at all the same calibre of player, but there are some people who don't like Nash's games that would not have a problem at all with them if it was Cyril offering the same output.

I think Cyril's higher footy IQ and next level speed/combustion in a contest allowed him to be more noticeable, while impacting around the same number of attacking thrusts.

Personally I find it exceptionally difficult to read a lot of the negative comments about a KP sized player who is massively, massively inexperienced in terms of game time. How many KP players do more than Nash in their first year or two? You could argue the absolute top tier do. But I'd argue that his rate of improvement in the second half of the year ranks up there with the best, in terms of contests influenced.

His hands and goal kicking have seen more improvement in 12 months, than most player's do over their whole careers.

He's working hard, to become elite. Hard to see with that toolkit, that he won't succeed. Nash and TOB are the perfect foil for Lewis. They are going to become a genuine thorn in the side of any top tier AFL defence, if they continue to track in the direction they are.

I think Cyril's higher footy IQ and next level speed/combustion in a contest allowed him to be more noticeable, while impacting around the same number of attacking thrusts.

Personally I find it exceptionally difficult to read a lot of the negative comments about a KP sized player who is massively, massively inexperienced in terms of game time. How many KP players do more than Nash in their first year or two? You could argue the absolute top tier do. But I'd argue that his rate of improvement in the second half of the year ranks up there with the best, in terms of contests influenced.

His hands and goal kicking have seen more improvement in 12 months, than most player's do over their whole careers.

He's working hard, to become elite. Hard to see with that toolkit, that he won't succeed. Nash and TOB are the perfect foil for Lewis. They are going to become a genuine thorn in the side of any top tier AFL defence, if they continue to track in the direction they are.
Nailed it.

To be fair I think a lot of the criticisms have died down with his improved output. Still a long way to go but he is now contributing in all games we just need to see it more over 4 quarters.

Big pre season for him will hopefully see that leap from potential to ready made player.

Was just going to post exactly this. All the discussion around Nash has certainly resulted in me keeping a critical eye on him. For a beginner he is showing some Cyril like signs.

If we get Patton, there's no way Patton, Timmy O, Mitch and Nash can play in the one side. Nash and Tim would be wasted down back, so I have no idea what we're going to do.
Good problem to have I suppose....

If we get Patton, there's no way Patton, Timmy O, Mitch and Nash can play in the one side. Nash and Tim would be wasted down back, so I have no idea what we're going to do.
Good problem to have I suppose....
Clarko loves versatility... nash, lewis and obrien will all float through the ruck when needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back