Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems to perform better when he's more of a focal point of the midfield - Titch out, steps up, has an awesome year, wins the PCM; Titch comes back, experiences a form slump; Titch leaves, but Duke and Day step up, has a solid year but not as good as his PCM year; Duke down a little on form and Day out, steps back up to career-best form.

Hopefully he'll settle in and play like this when one important cog in a firing midefield....
It seems we saw this yet again yesterday, Duke and Nash stepped up, Worps went back into his shell a little. It's absolutely bizarre....

Could post this on the Meek thread also. I think the Worpel vs Nash results are indicative of our performance in the ruck as much as the two individuals.
  • Worpel is generally our target player from the ruck contest.
  • Nash is generally playing on their target player from the ruck contest.
When Worpel is getting lots of clearance ball, it suggests our ruck is on top (or we are very good at negating opposition first touch).
When Nash is getting lots of clearance ball, it suggests their ruck is on top, AND we are good at negating opposition first touch.

Yes, it's yet another James Worpel appreciation post.

He had some absolute purple patches today - was in everything in the second quarter and his delivery inside fifty was sublime. This is something he's been criticised about in the past so it's only fair to highlight how bloody good he was today!

His fourth quarter wasn't as fancy, but hell it was hard. I think he was at the bottom of the pack for five consecutive ball ups - just went in hard time and time again. Probably one of my favourite players.

Love the way he rolls the shoulders on near on everyone. Fairly certain he and Newk are both top 5 for tackles broken.

How good has this guys resurgence been?
Aside from his PCM year, he's underrated I reckon. He's one of my favourite current players. I'll be very upset if we lose him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from his PCM year, he's underrated I reckon. He's one of my favourite current players. I'll be very upset if we lose him.

Yeah losing him would be deflating. 25, peak of his powers for the next 3-5 years hopefully. This stage of a career is what you draft players for right? Should be fighting tooth and nail for him if there is interest in him.

Yeah losing him would be deflating. 25, peak of his powers for the next 3-5 years hopefully. This stage of a career is what you draft players for right? Should be fighting tooth and nail for him if there is interest in him.
It would suck, for sure. The only marginal positive is that he's played the type of footy that would earn us a big pick if he did leave, even with that the pick trades or compensation almost never provide true value.

It would suck, for sure. The only marginal positive is that he's played the type of footy that would earn us a big pick if he did leave, even with that the pick trades or compensation almost never provide true value.
What's all this about losing Worps. Is there anything in it or is it just a worse case scenario worry?

What's all this about losing Worps. Is there anything in it or is it just a worse case scenario worry?
From memory, at his last signing he only signed a one or two year extension (?) He's a Geelong boy so he has links down there. These things usually entail conjecture about a player's future.

If he ends up playing for the pussies I'll be upset.

Yes, it's yet another James Worpel appreciation post.

He had some absolute purple patches today - was in everything in the second quarter and his delivery inside fifty was sublime. This is something he's been criticised about in the past so it's only fair to highlight how bloody good he was today!

His fourth quarter wasn't as fancy, but hell it was hard. I think he was at the bottom of the pack for five consecutive ball ups - just went in hard time and time again. Probably one of my favourite players.
Summed it up beautifully.

Me too. I've always kept the faith even when his form was down as it stood to reason that you don't rise to those heights without having a pretty strong chance of getting back to them. And he's such a heart and soul player, gives his all.

It is so good to see him playing at his best. Yesterday it crossed my mind a few times how lucky we were that he was in our side (had that thought about a few of our players!) He's really hitting his peak years now.

Equal 10th in centre clearances in the AFL this year while only attending the 40th most centre bounces.

What’s most surprised me most though is he is up to equal 9th in goal assists with 12. Our next highest is Moore with 7.

Kicking is still hit or miss but he’s starting to hit more than he has previously.

Equal 10th in centre clearances in the AFL this year while only attending the 40th most centre bounces.

What’s most surprised me most though is he is up to equal 9th in goal assists with 12. Our next highest is Moore with 7.

Kicking is still hit or miss but he’s starting to hit more than he has previously.
He's been quite good at converting those fast centre clearances straight to a forward for goals. He was doing that a fair bit back in his PCM year too.

From memory, at his last signing he only signed a one or two year extension (?) He's a Geelong boy so he has links down there. These things usually entail conjecture about a player's future.

If he ends up playing for the pussies I'll be upset.
He's just the sort of player the Cats need as wel to revitalise their midfield, a hard in and under mid who is right in the perfect age bracket.

Saying that I've always had the impression that Worps loves it at the Hawks and Sam is a big believer in him so I'd be surprised to see him leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back