Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Heart and soul type player.

It's nice to have your Bontempellis, Dustys and Petraccas but they aren't able to play the way they do without the Libbas, Prestias and Vineys of the world.

Always thought he would be our Ben Cunnington.

Stoked with his career revival after the removal of Mitchell and O'Meara.

Funny enough when he has time and space I've seen Worps deliver some absolute bullet passes into the forward 50.

Technically he's a pretty good kick, it's more I think he mentally rushes his kicks when he is under perceived pressure.

Anyway still had a great year last year and has started off 2024 in the same rich vein of form.

Launch the Worpedoes!

When we drafted him, he had a mature(ish) body, was an aggressive inside ball-winner, who had questionable disposal and was regularly exposed for his (lack of) defensive awareness. After 5 years, not much has changed. He's a little stronger, FAR fitter and generally an improved kick - but not really any more explosive or effective than in his debut season.

As the primary onballer, he was free to go ball-hunting and effective in this role - often matching and sometimes beating the opposition's best ball-winner. The return of Mitchell significantly curtailed his performance, and could have been career-ending had it continued. Mitchell played the same game, but was simply better at it, and a far better distributer by hand.

Worpel's not great by hand, and doesn't distribute well enough to be the player on hands and knees dishing it out. He also doesn't position himself effectively to be the #2 or #3 mid - constantly getting dragged into the contest. He lacks the skillset to play outside, and the defensive positional awareness to play a defensive or two-way role. He isn't accountable to a man (defence), or creative without the ball (forward), which restricts him to basically one role on the field.

With Worpel we know what we will get, he's played the same game 100 times. In a midfield with Newcombe, Nash and Day (honestly the only well-rounded midfielder we have) he fulfils a role in a team ranked 6-12, but I don't believe he has the ability to be the #1 mid in a Premiership midfield. (I also doubt any of Ward, McKenzie, Macdonald - or for that matter Weddle, Watson etc are that player either). His style of play and limitations aren't suited to being a periphery midfielder, so if he isn't #1, he will struggle to stay in the 22. I was an advocate to move him on if Geelong came calling with a late 1st, and still feel that will be his outcome as a FA in 2026 - (assuming we are moving towards others to lead the midfield).

When we drafted him, he had a mature(ish) body, was an aggressive inside ball-winner, who had questionable disposal and was regularly exposed for his (lack of) defensive awareness. After 5 years, not much has changed. He's a little stronger, FAR fitter and generally an improved kick - but not really any more explosive or effective than in his debut season.

As the primary onballer, he was free to go ball-hunting and effective in this role - often matching and sometimes beating the opposition's best ball-winner. The return of Mitchell significantly curtailed his performance, and could have been career-ending had it continued. Mitchell played the same game, but was simply better at it, and a far better distributer by hand.

Worpel's not great by hand, and doesn't distribute well enough to be the player on hands and knees dishing it out. He also doesn't position himself effectively to be the #2 or #3 mid - constantly getting dragged into the contest. He lacks the skillset to play outside, and the defensive positional awareness to play a defensive or two-way role. He isn't accountable to a man (defence), or creative without the ball (forward), which restricts him to basically one role on the field.

With Worpel we know what we will get, he's played the same game 100 times. In a midfield with Newcombe, Nash and Day (honestly the only well-rounded midfielder we have) he fulfils a role in a team ranked 6-12, but I don't believe he has the ability to be the #1 mid in a Premiership midfield. (I also doubt any of Ward, McKenzie, Macdonald - or for that matter Weddle, Watson etc are that player either). His style of play and limitations aren't suited to being a periphery midfielder, so if he isn't #1, he will struggle to stay in the 22. I was an advocate to move him on if Geelong came calling with a late 1st, and still feel that will be his outcome as a FA in 2026 - (assuming we are moving towards others to lead the midfield).

His 2023 season was significantly better than Viney/Libba/Prestia's Premiership season in almost every facet (Libba had him beat on DE in 2016).

I can't see why he couldn't be the primary inside ball winner for a Premiership side.

Neither of the above players are blessed with pace or skill.

A well constructed post that is on point regarding Worps and the new draftees.

He's still the best we have in that position now though and will be until someone else unseats him.

If I had a crystal ball and could see what the future holds in 2026, I'd hope we have Newk, Day and Croc fully entrenched in the middle with Huss, Wardy and Frenchie the support acts if Worps does, infact move on.

His 2023 season was significantly better than Viney/Libba/Prestia's Premiership season in almost every facet (Libba had him beat on DE in 2016).

I can't see why he couldn't be the primary inside ball winner for a Premiership side.

Neither of the above players are blessed with pace or skill.

Libba is a very good kick for an inside midfielder. He's much better than Worpel in that regard.

I would argue that Oliver is the primary inside ball winner for Melbourne too, and Petracca is no slouch in this area either. They all seem to make it work.

The main issue for Worpel is the lack of versatility and getting burned the other way. I don't think this is ever going to change, but maybe we can work around it - eg using Nash primarily as a midfielder who sits on the oppositions' best at stoppages.

Libba is a very good kick for an inside midfielder. He's much better than Worpel in that regard.

I would argue that Oliver is the primary inside ball winner for Melbourne too, and Petracca is no slouch in this area either. They all seem to make it work.

The main issue for Worpel is the lack of versatility and getting burned the other way. I don't think this is ever going to change, but maybe we can work around it - eg using Nash primarily as a midfielder who sits on the oppositions' best at stoppages.

Pure inside mids live and die by who they give it to. Mitchell was a star when he had Henderson and Smith to feed. He wasn't so good when he was feeding O'Meara and Worpel.

If Worpel keeps playing like he does on the weekend he's going to be in our next Premiership side.

The onus is on the likes of Day/Frenchy/Ward/Newcombe to hit the next level to make use of his gruntwork.

Pure inside mids live and die by who they give it to. Mitchell was a star when he had Henderson and Smith to feed. He wasn't so good when he was feeding O'Meara and Worpel.

If Worpel keeps playing like he does on the weekend he's going to be in our next Premiership side.

The onus is on the likes of Day/Frenchy/Ward/Newcombe to hit the next level to make use of his gruntwork.
Agree 100%

What is underrated by many is that to make the finals you need your good players playing at or near their peak every week.

Worps did that last year and looks like he will do the same this year.

Our other players need to start to bring the same intensity and level of effort that Worps is bringing and we will be a much better team.

Agree 100%

What is underrated by many is that to make the finals you need your good players playing at or near their peak every week.

Worps did that last year and looks like he will do the same this year.

Our other players need to start to bring the same intensity and level of effort that Worps is bringing and we will be a much better team.
Conclusion:

James Worpel is (former Melbourne skipper) Nathan Jones with much better hair.

I think it's high time we investigated whether or not Tom Mitchell was drugging James Worpel while he was at the club.

There is such a massive difference between a Mitchelless Worpel and one where they play together.

I think it's high time we investigated whether or not Tom Mitchell was drugging James Worpel while he was at the club.

There is such a massive difference between a Mitchelless Worpel and one where they play together.

It's like Highlander.

There can only be one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's like Highlander.

There can only be one.
Interestingly Mitchell is the 15th most common name in Scotland... Tom Mitchell has also never died. Neither has Worpel. Although Worpel must be the German one, however his name doesn't appear to mean "Hunter"

Our most consistent and effective player this year.

Today he racked up:

36 disposals
23 kicks
838 metres gained (!!)
3 goal assists (team high)
8 tackles
1 goal

He is carrying this midfield almost singlehandedly.
A+ performance from the Worpedo today.

Geez any thoughts that we would be a better team without him seem pretty farfetched now.

Is currently our best player on form and also the heart and soul of the team.

So so so impressive. Really hoping that he can also help our younger/less experienced mids like Jai and Connor bust out of their slumps. He’s been there, done that, and can hopefully help them through.

3 weeks in he is the only player who was on the list last year who has improved his performance. Carrying the slack for other teaM leaders who have started the year terribly.

He’d be leading the B&F by a margin already and playing the type of footy he looked capable of producing when he won a B&F aged 20. Hopefully gets some support

So so so impressive. Really hoping that he can also help our younger/less experienced mids like Jai and Connor bust out of their slumps. He’s been there, done that, and can hopefully help them through.
Thought Nash had a reasonable game - 24 disposals, 9 tackles and 9 clearances. Topped the team count with both the latter two. Newc not much behind (23,6,7). Worps had 36,8,6. Stats-wise we pretty much matched the cats.

Just need to clean things up a bit and we will be OK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back