Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks spent real draft capital (the details of which are not known … but we know pick 24(27) is gone) to take Weddle at 18. At 192cm we know he can beat a player the size of 195cm Cadman. But I would not think he could cope with 2-Meter-Peter or the other huge fwds.

And the Hawks are flush with mid-sized half backs. Most commentators have said: the Hawks are crap in the midfield, the forwards are developing, but the Hawks Back 6+ are good. And Blank makes the back 6 much better.

So WHY trade up to take Weddle? Yes he is a talent. If that is reason enough for you then stop reading and go to the next post.

I think the position that we got him in for is:

1: future midfielder
2: future high forward
3: talent / utility
4: Wingman….

I do not know.

Again I say I like what Josh brings to the club. He has speed to go with the fact that he is an aerobic beast!! I’ll put in the list of the Hawks 2km sub 6:30 runners. It is impressive.

The Hawks will be the youngest list in the comp. But they will also be the list with more gut runners than a Boston Marathon.

For mine we cannot have chosen him as a defender. On a wing… yes please. With a view to the middle .. yes please.

Last edited:

The Hawks spent real draft capital (the details of which are not known … but we know pick 24(27) is gone) to take Weddle at 18. At 192cm we know he can beat a player the size of 195cm Cadman. But I would not think he could cope with 2-Meter-Peter or the other huge fwds.

And the Hawks are flush with mid-sized half backs. Most commentators have said: the Hawks are crap in the midfield, the forwards are developing, but the Hawks Back 6+ are good. And Blank makes the back 6 much better.

So WHY trade up to take Weddle? Yes he is a talent. If that is reason enough for you then stop reading and go to the next post.

I think position we got him in for is:

I do not know.

Again I say I like what Josh brings to the club. He has speed to go with the fact that he is an aerobic beast!! I’ll put in the list of our 2km sub 6:30 runners. It is impressive.

The Hawks will be the youngest list in the comp. But they will also be the list with more gut runners than a Boston Marathon.
apparently someone else said we called the wrong person's name, we were supposed to call Ed allan instead.

I think the position that we got him in for is:

I do not know.

Again I say I like what Josh brings to the club. He has speed to go with the fact that he is an aerobic beast!! I’ll put in the list of the Hawks 2km sub 6:30 runners. It is impressive.

Don’t stress the details man, go to bed it’s been a long day. Tomorrow morning we should know the full details and you can stress then. :)

Outrageous and laughable at the same time that there’s no formal confirmation of exactly what the trade was on AFL website anywhere
Confirmed now that both the F2 and F3 are ours, not the dogs

So our picks next year
Round 1 - ours
Round 2 - Dogs
Round 3 - Dogs
Round 4 - Brisbane

Really rate this kid, at worst he is that Doedee type, but I strongly believe he can play on a wing, say Kamdyn McIntosh type.

Really rate this kid, at worst he is that Doedee type, but I strongly believe he can play on a wing, say Kamdyn McIntosh type.
No offense to Kamdyn, but give me Doedee over Kamdyn McIntosh any day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching him run is hugely impressive.

Elite athleticism and versatility.

ELITE!
He’s got some wheels, that’s for sure. And we know he’s got endurance, plus he can take contested grabs. Lots to like.

Geez considering his size ….. in the draft combine results nationally top 10 in standing vertical jump, running vertical jump, 20m sprint and 2km time trial. Beast 💪

Attachments

• AD2F9CDA-5AAE-4416-94B1-D40517F9364B.jpeg
    AD2F9CDA-5AAE-4416-94B1-D40517F9364B.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 136
  • BA729F00-6077-48EB-8306-E44FBC711FA1.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
We liked the look of Ginbey who has similar athletic traits. Speed, size, power and endurance.

Difference is Ginbey bolted up with exposed form in the middle. We are yet to see that from Weddle.

Very excited.

OK... So … As a wingman Weddle would be a tall and fully developed kid who is a gut runner, is fast, marks the ball well and reads the play well.

Ummm. Hahaha. 😂. With Amon on the other wing… Damn!

Sold on Weddle. But what is his nickname? Because yelling “YES, we’ll done Weddle“ feels like saying my grandmother won bingo… “Yes Grandma-Weddle … now sit down”

Could be a real asset , a player who can be a go to player when needed during games, whether if that's at chb , CHF or even a wing.
As for these calls to see him as inside mid? I don't quite see it nor do I get the infatuation with 16 inside mids!!!?? We have plenty of stock to work with As Sam mentioned this week so id rather josh ply his trade as a kpp swinger!!

OK... So … As a wingman Weddle would be a tall and fully developed kid who is a gut runner, is fast, marks the ball well and reads the play well.

Ummm. Hahaha. 😂. With Amon on the other wing… Damn!

Sold on Weddle. But what is his nickname? Because yelling “YES, we’ll done Weddle“ feels like saying my grandmother won bingo… “Yes Grandma-Weddle … now sit down”
Weddle is a nickname in and of itself. Just say it a few times out loud, it's fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back