Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the bloke we should be grooming in the HFF role with genuine midfielder rotation with Jai. Nice size and skills.

I have seen him played at times this year on the back flank but we have too many there that can do that job. He is far more a valuable player to us longer term as a HFF changing with Jai. Can hit up a lead and is getting better at goal kicking himself.

Moore on one side, Mackenzie on the other and Ginnivan moving up occasionally.

Cam has shown strong growth this year and is still a baby in terms of experience. Importantly he seems level headed and coachable and so you can see he takes feedback well and there is genuine improvement in the areas he needed to concentrate on.

I think he's finding that he has a little more time with the ball, and is creating more time for himself with little body feints, etc. He's not as rushed in contested situations.

Hopefully he becomes strong through the core so he can ride tackles and move through pressure. I'd love for him to be the player that gets dished the clearance so he kicks out of contests, when he's playing in the middle.

Gee he looks good with ball in hand. Absolutely reeks quality. Prime time mid in 18 months for mine.
He's not the same player, but he sort of reminds me of Petracca when he was in his first few years where you could tell he was going to be a gun when he had the ball in hand, it was just about building the tank to have that happen 30 times a game instead of 15. The Tracc comparison ends there, but I think whatever we can do to get him experience and AFL minutes will be rewarded with one of the best mids in the comp.

I could see signs of the time, vision and polish with the ball last year so
encouraged that’s continuing to shine and grow as a strength.

What i’m most impressed and surprised about this year is he is genuinely tough. When his body gets afl hardened, he will be really hard to tackle and even more competitive on the inside. Potential to have really good balance in his game.

I could see signs of the time, vision and polish with the ball last year so
encouraged that’s continuing to shine and grow as a strength.

What i’m most impressed and surprised about this year is he is genuinely tough. When his body gets afl hardened, he will be really hard to tackle and even more competitive on the inside. Potential to have really good balance in his game.
I think he is being underrated publicly too. I don’t seem to hear much about him. They’ll be blown away by his ‘sudden rise’ but us Hawks saw it coming. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s going to be a very good player for us. Makes up for lack of leg speed with spatial awareness. The comparison to Sam are relevant on his right he needs to work on his left. He won’t get to Sam levels but if his left can become competent then he becomes even more evasive and will have even more time to use his skills.

He’s going to be a very good player for us. Makes up for lack of leg speed with spatial awareness. The comparison to Sam are relevant on his right he needs to work on his left. He won’t get to Sam levels but if his left can become competent then he becomes even more evasive and will have even more time to use his skills.
He doesn't lack leg speed though, did a sub 3 second 20 meter sprint.

He doesn't lack leg speed though, did a sub 3 second 20 meter sprint.

Doesn't need to be great with his outstanding footy nouse and size to compliment. I look at Pendles from a footy smarts and size as a good comparison and he goes alright. Cam's spatially awareness is comparable and he has the great skills to match. We have a really good one on our hands here. Put some quick players around him as we are already doing so and his lack of straight line speed is no issue at all.

Doesn't need to be great with his outstanding footy nouse and size to compliment. I look at Pendles from a footy smarts and size as a good comparison and he goes alright. Cam's spatially awareness is comparable and he has the great skills to match. We have a really good one on our hands here. Put some quick players around him as we are already doing so and his lack of straight line speed is no issue at all.
There's a reason I've called him twinkle toes since his draft year. My biggest doubt was always his clearance work which should fly in the face of rational thinking with how good his spacial awareness is. When he did get a clearance though his burst from a stoppage is something out midfield group is missing and would make quite the trio with Day and Newcombe.

MacKenzie will always be the kind of player who will be great at using the ball rather than be great in his movement with the ball.

He uses his physical abilities to buy himself space/time and then uses his skills to perfection.

I don't see him ever becoming that dynamic burst player with the ball bc he just doesn't see or play the game that way.

Some players instinctively want to run with the ball when they have a little time and space (B.Hill, I.Smith).
MacKenzie instinctively wants to use his skills as soon as he is free.
That's how he hurts the opposition.

There's a reason I've called him twinkle toes since his draft year. My biggest doubt was always his clearance work which should fly in the face of rational thinking with how good his spacial awareness is. When he did get a clearance though his burst from a stoppage is something out midfield group is missing and would make quite the trio with Day and Newcombe.

Was drafted as a taller, breakaway mid, with two way run, super hard work ethic and high level skill and creativity.

It's exactly what our list had been crying out for.

Every time I read that he makes up with X or Y for what he lacks in leg speed I'm wondering if there isn't another Mackenzie on the list, who is bog slow?

Yep. We really need to be more honest about where Hawthorn are at....around here.

The club has been drafting a lot of players who come with flaws or concerns - i.e. lack pace, or size, or touch by foot, or are one sided, or need to be taught this and that.

Even Weddle, as electric as he is, and obvious, looks really lost at times. -

This year -
Dear = project
Watson = must be close to the smallest top five draftee in my living memory
McCabe = fingers crossed, but far out!!!!! lower back already.

Recruiting is a hard job, but looking at the Hawthorns kids lately sure feels like I am looking at St Kilda's kids over the last decade. .
Well, I woke up this morning, without much of a plan. Thought I'd make a coffee, and then surf the web looking for the stupidest post of all time. Now I have no idea what to do with my time.

Yep. We really need to be more honest about where Hawthorn are at....around here.

The club has been drafting a lot of players who come with flaws or concerns - i.e. lack pace, or size, or touch by foot, or are one sided, or need to be taught this and that.

This year -
Dear = project

Recruiting is a hard job, but looking at the Hawthorns kids lately sure feels like I am looking at St Kilda's kids over the last decade. .
Take a long slow walk

This year -
Dear = project

Yeah bro... you're right.
It goes all the way back to 2001 tbh and the club has been sleepwalking to mediocrity ever since.

Mitchell - slow, can't run.
Hodge - poor work ethic, bit fat.
Lewis - fat, no right foot, slow,
Buddy - can't mark overhead, no right foot, zero pack presence, more of a flanker than KPF.
Roughead - Can't mark in a pack, is he a forward or back?
Birchall - undersized, can't mark overhead to save himself, no physical presence.
Guerra - rejected by two clubs, wth are we doing.
Gilham - OMG stop it!
Ellis/Dowler/Thorp - no comment.

When the club wakes up and starts drafting perfect players, maybe we will have a chance at winning, like we did in the 80s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back