Welcome to the Bulldogs, Luke Cleary

Remove this Banner Ad

What sort of player is he projected to be? Is he just a taller medium defender or is he likely to be an intercept type similar to Ridley, Stewart etc.
Well from reading earlier posts in this thread it looks like he's not a Dale or Richards or Daniel type (rebounding defender with high MG). More an interceptor with a cool head, good game awareness and a reliable kick. So that would be in contrast to Daniel who is an elite precision kick but occasionally comes unstuck when he tries a high risk/high reward play.

Whether he makes it or not I like the blokes who get passed over and then come back the next year determined to prove everybody who overlooked them wrong. Cody Raak is also in that category. You know they aren't going to be lacking in determination or ambition. Every club has its share of players like that who have ended up being celebrated heroes of the club. Ours would include premiership players in Picken, MBoyd and Morris. I know many such players don't ever make it but Cleary really looks like he has something. I hope he has a memorable and enjoyable first game.
Keep in mind, the club would have no expectations that he would be playing AFL anytime soon. Our mid size defenders are listed below. By the time he could potentially come 'good', Croizer & O'Brien will be at the tail end of their careers. It's not a hugely inspiring list.

Williams - 24
Crozier - 28
O'Brien - 27
Khamis - 21
This was probably quite correct in November when you posted it. Credit to him that his form has demanded selection less than half way into his first season.

He was drafted as an over-age junior of course, so that would help.

Last edited:
Go well Luke

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

Remove this Banner Ad

Back