Toast Welcome to the Club Aaron Naughty Naughton

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't help but think that this extension and its timing was brought about by a club that is somewhat panicked and needed to deliver a sugar hit on its big awards night. A night that by all reports, aside from this announcement was flatter than week old road kill on the Nullarbor.

It's very odd that not two days before the announcement Andrew McDougall put a distinct full stop Naughton being at the club beyond 2024. When in reality if this deal was that close to being signed off on then he would've intimated that Naughton was keen to play out his career at the club.

Its pretty obvious to me that we blinked first.
Maybe, the deal was always going to be 6 years minimum, by the time his deal expires there will another CBA which will be higher etc... Happy there will be no distraction in 2024 and beyond.

Maybe, the deal was always going to be 6 years minimum, by the time his deal expires there will another CBA which will be higher etc... Happy there will be no distraction in 2024 and beyond.
It's easier to free up salary cap than to replace star players.

Clubs were offering 10 year deals. Perfect world we would have wanted to give him 6.

Therefore had to give 8 at least or we would have lost him. His manager would never let him turn down a 3-4 year discrepancy on that money.

It’s an uncomfortably long deal for anyone that isn’t Bont level but it’s how the market is now.

Clubs were offering 10 year deals. Perfect world we would have wanted to give him 6.

Therefore had to give 8 at least or we would have lost him. His manager would never let him turn down a 3-4 year discrepancy on that money.

It’s an uncomfortably long deal for anyone that isn’t Bont level but it’s how the market is now.
And we're going to see more deals like this.

Dunks got 6 from Brisbane, Hipwood got 7. Oliver and Petracca got similar with Melbourne.

Two reasons for it - locking in stars (yeah, Hipwood, I know) gives positive vibes to the playing list, and gives certainty to clubs wanting to build lists around the guns.

Secondly, if it gets to the point of a trade being necessary, then the club has more control over what they get in return.

The risk is in Stringer, Grundy and potentially Oliver situations, of course...

Dunks got 6 from Brisbane, Hipwood got 7. Oliver and Petracca got similar with Melbourne.

Two reasons for it - locking in stars (yeah, Hipwood, I know) gives positive vibes to the playing list, and gives certainty to clubs wanting to build lists around the guns.

Secondly, if it gets to the point of a trade being necessary, then the club has more control over what they get in return.

The risk is in Stringer, Grundy and potentially Oliver situations, of course...
Himmelberg got 6 or 7 as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be bloody 80 years old when he comes out of contract. At least now I have something to live for!

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tom Morris(cough) reporting Sydney offered him 11 million over 10 years.

Might've contributed to us offering him the 8 years.

Sydney loves to poach the marquee player (Capper, Lockett, Barry Hall, Buddy) to get bums on seats and high profile exposure for
their tiny, fickle market.
Dogs beat them to it and Naughton told them to GAGF.
I wonder who Sydney will try for now.

Sydney loves to poach the marquee player (Capper, Lockett, Barry Hall, Buddy) to get bums on seats and high profile exposure for
their tiny, fickle market.
Dogs beat them to it and Naughton told them to GAGF.
I wonder who Sydney will try for now.
It would be a classic 1-2 punch to go for Ugle-Hagan. Fending off the Naughton onslaught leaves us susceptible to a secondary raid. It may have diminished our ability to outmanoeuvre them with JUH.

Sydney would have thrown him at CHB for sure, they’ve got some decent young tall talent up front, not sure a 10yr contract would have made a hell of a lot of sense for them

It would be a classic 1-2 punch to go for Ugle-Hagan. Fending off the Naughton onslaught leaves us susceptible to a secondary raid. It may have diminished our ability to outmanoeuvre them with JUH.
Something tells me Sammy is aware of that, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a JUH ''follow up'' some time soon.

They're pretty close, Naughts and Marra.

Naughton is our second most important player and future captain. Worthy deal for a guy that gives 100% and always works to get the most out of himself.

Maybe the wrong time to bring this up but I reckon he should play back next year. Pair him with ljizz for the season to mentor him.

3 talls is too many and Cody plays tall anyway. If were lucky enough to snag Watson our forward set up could be JUH roaming CHF with West and Watson as crafty calf forwards who can make things happen.

Then you can play one of Lobb or English deep (pending ruck rotations) with Cody and another small who plays ground level and provides pressure (either Arty or Clarke could work here)

That’s plenty of scoring avenues without Naughton. Sure it misses that reliable power forward but the benefit to the backline would far outweigh the loss.

The Aaron Naughton 8-year contract sends a fantastic message to his teammates and the industry - and indeed to all of us doomsayers who have been thinking we are on a snake rather than a ladder. (We may yet be on a snake, but that's a separate discussion.)

It says to anyone coming up for contract renewal (JUH?) or wondering whether to jump ship (Baz? Timmy? Rhylee?) that he's in it for the long haul - a Bulldog for life - and he believes in where we are headed. That he wants them to stay on board with him.

And - to further mix my metaphors - if you wanted someone with you in the trenches I reckon you'd be looking to find blokes like Naughton beside you.

What a powerful statement this is. This contract signing alone should mark him as a leader within the club.

He's still only 23.

Also means we can throw Naughts into defence and ruck regardless of his preferences for the next 9 years 😆

Two reasons for it - locking in stars (yeah, Hipwood, I know)
To be fair to Hipwood he ranked 4th in the league for marks inside 50 and was top of that stat for most of the season and was equal 15th in goals when he had two other guys in his team in the top 6.

He is the perfect supporting forward for that team and gets a lot of stick for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back