List Mgmt. Welcome Ryan Maric (Pick 1, 2023 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm, playing around with some numpties over on the draft board and compared Maric to Van Rooyen. Safe to say I think we've struck gold here.

Interestingly, he's listed on the AFL website as 196cm, so if this is true and not a case of the McGovern's, this pick solve our KPF situation moving forward, and not just having him as the third tall.

Also to consider is Van Rooyen, whilst being his debut year, is playing to Melbourne's midfield and Maric is playing to WCE's, so he's had to work extremely hard to create his own opportunities, whilst Van Rooyen has the likes of Petracca kicking to him with little competition due to Melbourne's dearth of KPFs.

1691567344877.png
1691567358144.png

Hmm, playing around with some numpties over on the draft board and compared Maric to Van Rooyen. Safe to say I think we've struck gold here.

Interestingly, he's listed on the AFL website as 196cm, so if this is true and not a case of the McGovern's, this pick solve our KPF situation moving forward, and not just having him as the third tall.

Also to consider is Van Rooyen, whilst being his debut year, is playing to Melbourne's midfield and Maric is playing to WCE's, so he's had to work extremely hard to create his own opportunities, whilst Van Rooyen has the likes of Petracca kicking to him with little competition due to Melbourne's dearth of KPFs.

View attachment 1769108
View attachment 1769109
Propose giving them Waterman for Freos first.

View attachment 1769108
View attachment 1769109
Didn't we work out it was High Dixons height and weight from last year?

View attachment 1769108
View attachment 1769109
When you consider also Van Rooyen has had 2 AFL preseasons under his belt as well- Marics done this starting from mid year.

Early days of course, but really enjoying his development and a real highlight from this year. His kicking skills are top notch. Hoping he has a really good offseason. Him & Allen will make a decent pairing in the years to come.

When you consider also Van Rooyen has had 2 AFL preseasons under his belt as well- Marics done this starting from mid year.

Early days of course, but really enjoying his development and a real highlight from this year. His kicking skills are top notch. Hoping he has a really good offseason. Him & Allen will make a decent pairing in the years to come.
The best thing about Ryan is he is such a natural forward. Absolute lazer boot too. Also very cool under pressure as we found out last weekend.

View attachment 1769108
View attachment 1769109
VR has been getting the opposition’s best defender, and playing second ruck since Grundy got dropped. Still a valid comparison

He’s handball skills are sexy as as well. He knows how to draw the opposition tackler to him before releasing, which is something many of our 10+ year players struggle to do so well.
Totally agree, noticed the same thing with Chesser as well. Both excellent users of the ball by hand.

He could do with working on his hit outs, his numbers are awful.

Sarcastic Well Done GIF by CBC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice article on AFL website. Seems Maric is very happy at the Eagles.

"I didn't plan on that [celebration], but it came off my boot and went through and it was a stage of the game where it was just an in-the-moment thing and I grabbed my jumper," Maric told AFL.com.au this week.

"It ties back to how grateful I am to be at the club and for them to give me an opportunity. I wanted to show that spirit and how much I love playing for the club and how much I enjoy it.

"I couldn't even put it into words how grateful I am really. Playing eight games when I never expected to get to this position, and for the coaches to back me … I love the club already."

Nice article on AFL website. Seems Maric is very happy at the Eagles.

"I didn't plan on that [celebration], but it came off my boot and went through and it was a stage of the game where it was just an in-the-moment thing and I grabbed my jumper," Maric told AFL.com.au this week.

"It ties back to how grateful I am to be at the club and for them to give me an opportunity. I wanted to show that spirit and how much I love playing for the club and how much I enjoy it.

"I couldn't even put it into words how grateful I am really. Playing eight games when I never expected to get to this position, and for the coaches to back me … I love the club already."
The team looks so much better with him playing. Got a big career ahead.

This is interesting from the rising star article on afl website. Maric in top 5 when you count position and outperforming expectation based on age and position.
Lets hope he gets a last round nom. 4 in a year would be awesome after the drought in recent seasons

1692933664328.png

This is interesting from the rising star article on afl website. Maric in top 5 when you count position and outperforming expectation based on age and position.
Lets hope he gets a last round nom. 4 in a year would be awesome after the drought in recent seasons

View attachment 1784987
Key Forward is the important part in showing him have a better relative rating. Imagine if he was a General Forward (or whatever third talls get pigeon holed as) his relative rating would be down a lot.

Still unsure if he's a genuine key forward in the future or a third tall. He seems taller than intial thought when seeing him next to Allen.

Either way, he's far outperformed my expectations for him. He's going to be a player.

Key Forward is the important part in showing him have a better relative rating. Imagine if he was a General Forward (or whatever third talls get pigeon holed as) his relative rating would be down a lot.

Still unsure if he's a genuine key forward in the future or a third tall. He seems taller than intial thought when seeing him next to Allen.

Either way, he's far outperformed my expectations for him. He's going to be a player.
Yeah definitely outperformed expectations. Actually listed as the same height as Allen on Eagles website at 196.
Whats impressed me most is he's quick hands and decision making. Pretty good field kick too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back