List Mgmt. Welcome Ryan Maric (Pick 1, 2023 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

He could be our Gunston and now we just need a Bock
GIF by reactionseditor

Bock bock chicken

West Coast mid-season draftee Ryan Maric on retiring Eagles and his first few months in the AFL​

Ryan Maric may only have been at West Coast for three months, but the mid-season draftee says retiring champions Luke Shuey and Shannon Hurn have already had a profound impact on him.
Maric, 18, will play his 10th game of since being drafted on May 30 by the Eagles in the farewell game of Shuey, Hurn and injured star ruckman Nic Naitanui against Adelaide at Optus Stadium on Saturday.

The forward said it was the little things that had impacted him in his short time at the club.
“It’s pretty emotional. I’ve only known them for a couple of months, and they are such legends of the club,” Maric said.
“I’ve had a couple of good moments with them. I went to a function one night and went to Shannon Hurn’s house to get ready and he drove me in – we had a good chat.

“Shannon is so easy to talk to and he spoke about his career and just so many highs and lows of footy.
“He’s a very inspiring and motivational man, Shannon. A good guy.”
Maric had one of the toughest initiations to the AFL.
In his debut game, the Crows smashed the Eagles by 122 points before two weeks later being part of a club-historic 171-point loss to Sydney at the SCG.
It hasn’t disheartened the forward from enjoying the experience of living out his boyhood dream.

bf2ca2c0c0533abe4b7c47a622c1be7e40a64396.jpg

“It was obviously not ideal, but I always have a pretty optimistic outlook,” Maric said.
“If we can ride the lows now with all the boys making good relationships, and I just can’t wait for the highest it’s going to make it even sweeter.
“I just think positive and look at the outcome that will eventually come. It can turn pretty quickly.”
Maric has shown glimmers of his true potential, booting multiple goals on three occasions to average one a game this season.
What wasn’t expected but is warmly welcomed is the pressure Maric is bringing as a medium-sized forward, which even surprised coach Adam Simpson.

ca9aed46d810dc3ad065449f4e6448239d2c1598.jpg

“I think Yeoy (Elliot Yeo) was on the bench in the last quarter and said ‘He’s tough, he’s a tough player’,” Simpson said after the win over the Western Bulldogs.
“We probably didn’t see that in the draft. We saw his skill, AFL running patterns and a good mark, but he’s game-ready in terms of the toughness piece which when you’re young, sometimes it’s not quite there. So he took another step forward.”
Maric said it was something he had purposely worked on this week.
“Since the off-season, I wanted to work on my defensive pressure and defensive intent,” he said.
“Being a big bloke a couple of years ago I’ve probably never really defended but now I know how important it is, especially at AFL level.
“It’s one of our mentalities and it’s just something I pride myself on now.”

Anyone else notice how ironic it is that Maric laid a couple memorable tackles on both Bontempelli AND Naughton... So much the guy in Simpsons presser asked about it, hence the quote from Yeo... it's even pictured in that article.

Aaand yet Maric didn't get credited with a single tackle that game.

confused ryan reynolds GIF

If he was a rookie pick in last year’s draft and had this much impact in year 1, we’d be absolutely stoked. Kinda just feels like he’s meant to be ready made because he was taken in MSD.

But in reality his peers are guys like Cadman and Jefferson

Really great point. That was lost on me. We get shat on a fair bit from the establishment but we have to admit the mid season draft looks to have put us on the front foot for our rebuild. Two of my new favs. Maric and Culley

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Anyone else notice how ironic it is that Maric laid a couple memorable tackles on both Bontempelli AND Naughton... So much the guy in Simpsons presser asked about it, hence the quote from Yeo... it's even pictured in that article.

Because he looks like Oscar from afar. And the kids doing the stats are doing their Snapchat streaks while watching

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm telling you if Maric was in the open draft now he would go between pick 7 and 15 from what he has shown. An absolute steal and will only get better.

It is often the case where young guys who have had to do it the hard way but having that innate talent they really go on to show just how good they are.

I've always said if you nail two top 15 (ie core players) in your best 22 each draft you will end up with a very successful side. The club has already ticked off one of those with Ryan. If we do well and grab a couple more in the draft it will be a very good draft year.

I'm telling you if Maric was in the open draft now he would go between pick 7 and 15 from what he has shown. An absolute steal and will only get better.

It is often the case where young guys who have had to do it the hard way but having that innate talent they really go on to show just how good they are.

I've always said if you nail two top 15 (ie core players) in your best 22 each draft you will end up with a very successful side. The club has already ticked off one of those with Ryan. If we do well and grab a couple more in the draft it will be a very good draft year.
Just after we grabbed Ginbey, Hewett and Long. Got some good kids coming through now😁

9 from 9 games as a higher fwd tracks pretty well against an older Amiss’s 11 from his first 9 in a far better team.

Sweet.

Although fair’s fair, Amiss has been on a perennial bender.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 from 9 games as a higher fwd tracks pretty well against an older Amiss’s 11 from 9 in a far better team.

Sweet.

Although fair’s fair, Amiss has been on a perennial bender.

Um yeah nah Amiss has had an astounding season despite his fade out.

Oh absolutely. I’ve had this discussion with stats guys while coaching in WAFLW because I’d see someone get a clearance and they wouldn’t get the stat. Like all stats you can’t always trust them.

So much to like about this bloke.

So many similarities to Ashley Hansen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back